Audeze LCD-24 over-ear planar magnetic Headphones

Best skit comedy show ever.

2 Likes

Agreed

2 Likes

Also concur! Dave Chappelle is hilarious :laughing:

1 Like

only Ricky Gervais is better

I just received an email, the preorder is up. Limited Edition, made to order (according to the email I received).

2 Likes

In my mind the single sided array is an interesting trade off. Obviously I support the weight decrease, but at $3500 they’re also competing with the double sided HEKse (and V2), and other double sided planars like the RAD-0. It’s as if they’re saying “our diaphragm tech can make up the difference in performance, allowing us to reduce the weight”. It seems like everyone is trying to figure out how to get the weight down with the high performance stuff, and this is an interesting solution. From what I can tell it hasn’t been attempted at this price. The other thing I’ve noticed is that even the LCD4 (apparently) only uses N50 grade magnets, and not the stronger grade N52 of the Rosson headphone. How much of a difference this makes, I’m not sure - but that may be another area to make up the difference of going with a single sided array. Improve the diaphragm, improve the magnet, go with single sided array, and cut the weight = potentially interesting proof of concept if it’s about on par with the RAD-0. I for one would love something that performs as well as the RAD-0, but at the weight of a single sided array planar.

8 Likes

Hi,

Here below is what I understand and infer from the description on the Audeze page for the LCD-24.

The LCD-4 and 4z have a full array of magnet stripes on each side of the diaphragm.
The LCD-2 has only the half thereof, every second magnet stripe missing, on each side.

Starting from a LCD-4z and removing every second magnet stripes would give,
marking with a “+” positive features and with a “-” negative ones:

• “+” halving of magnetic stripes --> less weight than LCD-4 (735 g !! Ouch, really a “heavy weight” :grin: of a headphone!) and 4z (600 g), down to 540 g, which is still too heavy but much better and even excellent for an Audeze headphone.
  • “+” halving of magnetic stripes --> cheaper than LCD-4 and 4z

• “-” halving of magnetic stripes --> less magnetic force --> lesser bass slam than LCD-4 and 4z and possibly less dynamics than LCD-4, 4z.

• “+” maintaining the “fazor” conic shapes on the outer side of each magnet strip = removing diffraction of the sound wavefront at the outer edges of the magnets --> less interferences = less degradation of the sonic wavefront --> higher resolution than LCD-2, and still at least as good as LCD-4 and 4z re. this aspect.

• “+” maintaining the “fluxor” magnet configuration --> more planar magnetic field --> better control of the diaphragm motion --> higher resolution and speed than LCD-2, and still at least as good as LCD-4 and 4z re. this aspect.

• “+” halving of magnetic stripes --> much more space between the magnet stripes --> fewer diffraction waves created by the magnet inner edges on the sides opposed to the diaphragms and lesser interferences --> higher resolution and possibly higher soundstage than LCD-4 and 4z.

So in the end they would market a TOTL headphone compromising the famous bass slam of the LCD-4 but improving weight, pricing and hopefully resolution. This is very appealing to people like me who don’t like (electronic) beats, so not caring much about bass slam (though enjoying bass extension).

A crucial question will be: what about the frequency response, will it deviate too much in the high mids and in the treble from the references curves defining a realistic reproduction, like the other Audeze models? I hope that Resolve (I am so happy Tyll has a younger successor! :wink:) would get a hand on a LCD-24 and produce one of his excellent reviews! :smiley:

3 Likes

the price point is so close to lcd4 and lcd4z. if there is a signficant compromise in resolution and sound quality, I dont see how it is worth it.

if weight is so important to compromise sound then there are other cheaper products on the market that aren’t audeze

imo audeze should take the time and design a brand new chassis and offer their high impedance headphones with the new option. Their lineup is congested and competing with itself.

That said, we can only wait and see if the sonic qualities are unique enough.

1 Like

Kinda off topic but did you replace the cable on those purplehearts or modify the existing cable? If you replaced it, what cable did you use? Thinking of doing some mods on a similar pair.

1 Like

Curious if anyone ever had a chance to listen to these.

2 Likes

Yep. Probably my least favorite product they make. Lots of glare, a huge spike around 7k, and grain throughout. It’s a 4Z driver with LCD2 magnets and very underperforming. I don’t recommend it, full stop.

5 Likes

Haha! Well that answers a lot. :laughing:

As someone whom loves the LCD-X (me), I do wish it had a tad more midrange (vocals). Everything else is pretty spot on for my ears. Maybe just a touch more of detail.

With that said, other than eq what would you recommend?

No EQ, just don’t buy it. Wait for @Max_Settings to talk about the MX4 vs X vs GX soon. From what I remember at CanJam it has a much more balanced, maybe one of the most neutral Audeze signatures, along with the GX, meaning less 1k shout, less 4k dip, and less 10k+ peak/high air boost shelf

6 Likes

Thanks. I’ll check it out. :+1:t4:

1 Like

I used to own the SR-009. LCD 24 are not as shrill and treble elevated as the 009. There is prat with the 24 that I don’t get from Electrostat bass (though the 007 comes close.)

I’m listening to these right now. They sound good for me. Deeper bass than the LCD MX4, but not the LCD X. They eq to the Harman Curve using Auto EQ pretty well (there’s no entry yet in Reveal+ software for these.)

The relative lightness is important for me as I have chronic neck pain going back over a decade. I have yet to try the 4 or 4z but the extra weight worries me.

Did you end up checking out the MX4? I am curious as to what your thoughts were. Did it end up being more neutral? I saw Max Settings’ review and he notes it is an improvement tuning-wise over the LCD-X. What were your thoughts?

I never did. I actually just ordered a Hifiman HE6se to go with a new speaker amp I just purchased.

I’d still like to try an LCD-4/4z some day.

3 Likes

You’ll love the HE6. They sing given enough power.

3 Likes

Thanks. I’m pretty excited for them.

I actually picked up a Krell KST-100 to power them. :grin:

3 Likes