Audeze LCD-4z planar magnetic over-ear Headphones - Official Thread

This is the official thread to talk about the Audeze LCD-4z.

These are Audeze’s take on a more efficient LCD-4 (which I thought the MX4 did a good job of even though that was a cross between the LCD-X and the 4).

At 15 ohms, these cans can be driven by pretty much anything. They come in the magnesium gold but you can also get them in a custom wood like the LCD-4.

A common thing that I have seen around is people wondering if they can get the LCD-4z magnesium build with 200 ohm drivers. The official answer on this currently is no.

The LCD-4 can be had in their wood version with the 200 ohm drivers or 15 ohm driver.

Anyone have any thoughts on these new headphones?

2 Likes

Are these shipping yet?

I’m a cynic, so much so that after extensive research I’ve just ordered Bamboo LCD-2s because the general consensus seems to be the difference in quality is negligible

1 Like

Has anyone auditioned/reviewed these yet?

1 Like

I’d be interested to hear some thoughts on these headphones. A more efficient LCD-4 seems like a good thing.

3 Likes

If they sound like LCD 4 should be a good headphone.

1 Like

@Resolve, Can we get a review of these?

I can’t seem to find one, and I think this would be a good candidate for an upcoming review on the new channel, as you’ve already done an excellent review of the LCD-4.

Thanks!

1 Like

Yeah I’d love to review that one - but I’d like to do it side by side with an LCD-4. Not sure when it will be but I’ll ask the guys from headphones.com if that’s something I could potentially get in for review.

4 Likes

@ValentineLuke - There’s also this one from our friend metal571 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ippdHVy970

2 Likes

For sure that’s an excellent review. I was requesting a review for the LCD-4 “z” specifically (lower impedance model).

I’d love for @metal571 to do one as well!

1 Like

@ValentineLuke - Yeah, missed the z there!

1 Like

Awesome. That hasn’t received very much attention, it’d be great to know more.

Thank you.

Haven’t reviewed it because in my experience that product in no way is up to the par of the “full” LCD 4 yet costs the same. It suffers in stage and grain levels a surprising amount for what is essentially just a reconfigured trace pattern to maximize efficiency. I don’t recommend it and wish they’d come out with a magnesium chassis LCD 4 as a default option, otherwise untouched. Right now you can get one of those but you have to special order it.

7 Likes

The “real LCD-4” is a special beast.

Tonally a bit off vs. neutral without deliberate EQ or Reveal/Roon DSP … but once that’s addressed it’s the most accurate and useful planar I’ve heard.

The AB-1266 Phi CC/TC pips them in some areas, but is a bit less precise and a bit more “fun”, “fast” and “engaging” in it’s tuning … while being rather more ergonomically challenging.

RAD-0 is an interesting compromise … tonally more correct than the LCD-4, but lags slightly on technicalities (better value overall).

7 Likes

Well there goes that review…

1 Like

Has someone created a EQ curve for the LCD-4z or is there a published frequency response curve for these headphones?

I have a pair in the house this weekend for a listen.

1 Like