Audeze LCD-X Open-Back Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Just thought I’d post the raw measurement of the LCD-X I have here at the moment.

Note that this is for the LCD-X with the mesh behind the grille (what some have called the 2020 version). For older versions this EQ profile may not be applicable, and if there are any changes in the future then this also won’t be applicable.

This is relative to the 2013 Harman target, so that upper midrange dip shows up quite strongly here. I’m less bothered by that treble extension, I think the target rolls off a bit. But in general, to my ear this is a somewhat muted and muffled kind of sound. I think ‘non-fatiguing’ might be a nicer way to describe this but at the same time it’s got some treble zing too above the upper midrange. It’s funny, I’m starting to find upper mids such a challenge to get right. Too much and things sound shrill, shouty, and nasally, too little and things sound muffled and muted.

Here’s my preliminary ‘conservative’ EQ profile for it to get it closer to my preference. Interestingly when I EQ’d to closely match the target I found it had too much presence around 3-4khz, so I dialed it back a bit. The 9.5khz bump is optional I think, but I do hear it as slightly more balanced with it in there. I’ll likely still have to tinker with it a bit to be sure:

And here’s how the measurement looks after EQ:

I think you could go more fine-grained than this but fixing the 4khz region a bit better and maybe getting the balance around 12khz better but to my ear this is a good starting point.

10 Likes