Audeze LCD-X Open-Back Planar Headphone - Official Thread

Really love the fine grained one.

However, looks like my FR graph looks a bit different from most.

I really like it, but am looking to make mine a bit bassier (not sure if that dip on the low end is typical or not). Would anyone be able to suggest where I should add a bass shelf (or where to put a peak) to get overall the same sound, just with more powerful bass to really make tracks fun?

1 Like

Also forgot to post my FR graph in my previous post - whoops!

2 Likes

Try this setting in your PEQ: Type Low shelf filter with Q as slope, Gain +6db, Q 0.5
This will take you from boring and flat ā€˜audiophileā€™ to fun.

Thanks, but at what Hz should i put it at?

Try somewhere between 100 and 120. That should improve things without bleeding into the midrange.

1 Like

Oops forgot that part. For me I do 180-200hz

1 Like

@JonneHaven Wowā€¦ that is some EQ settingsā€¦ but it worksā€¦ and works very wellā€¦

Check out the song " Dorina " by the band called Dada , the song is from their Puzzle albumā€¦ the drums and bass come thru really well with this EQā€¦

good jobā€¦ thanks for posting it

2 Likes

@dixter Thanks for the kudos! And thanks for the song suggestion. I like getting song recommendations from audiophiles such as yourself! The drums do have great traction in this song.

Please do stay tuned though because I am releasing a new EQ revision sometime in the near future, this time benefiting from REW measurement taking!

Blessings,
-J

GREAT call on this album!!! Dorina has been one of my vinyl & CD & streaming ā€œtestā€ tracks for 30 years!!! I think you are the only other person I have ever heard mention thisā€¦

One of my favorite bandsā€¦ I think I have every song they ever put outā€¦ they played in bar venues and I got to see them in Austin Texasā€¦ got to meet their family and was a great timeā€¦

1 Like

That is soooo Special!!! Thanks for sharing!!!

@jonnehaven you may have created a monster with your fancy smancy EQ :slight_smile:
I was listening to the X21 again and how thick you have these phones sounding and I thought what the heck else would a thick EQ sound good onā€¦ and the HD800 came to mindā€¦ everyone complains about that phone not having the bass and impact, so I put your EQ to the task on my HD800 and they came aliveā€¦ very impressiveā€¦ they sound greatā€¦ like a different headphone nowā€¦ thanks again

1 Like

Fancy smancy?! I love it! :laughing:

I never imagined my EQ could represent with the HD800 from what Iā€™ve heard about those cans. Iā€™m a bit jealous, Iā€™ve always wondered what the high end of those sound like. Like silk probably.

Happy listening and stick around for the update to my EQ which should be posted soon!

Blessings,
-J

canā€™t wait to see what you come up with this timeā€¦ :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for your patience, Iā€™m trying to get it just right!

-J

LCD-X 2021 EQ Revision 10-08-22
For Lovers Of Sub Bass, Punch, And Slam

This time around I had the great benefit of being able to measure my EQ results in REW (Thank you @staticV3!) with @Oratory1990ā€™s most excellent measurements as you can see in this EQ applied graph overlayed with the Harman Target Curve 2018.

Based, in part, on the Harman Target Curve this EQ adds back some of the Audeze house warmth in the custard smooth mids without making vocalists unrealistically nasal sounding but with a gorgeous and exciting overall tonality. Improved imaging and sense of space between instruments from the last EQ Revision. Locating exactly the placement of sounds is now more natural than ever enhancing that holographic nature of the LCD-Xs that we all love.

This EQ truly extends the sub bass all the way down to 20Hz as the graph shows (a horizontal line instead of the typical right to left downward slope) which adds an impactful presence to tracks that are mixed/mastered to utilize ALL of the low end. I wanted my LCD-X to most accurately recreate my speaker and subwoofer setup which extends completely down through 20Hz which it now does with this EQ Revision. True sub bass extension!

I acknowledge ahead of time that there are a large number of filters utilized. It is necessary to make sections of the EQ more adjustable with a single filter, to hug the Harman Curve as tightly as I did in parts, and to capture various nuances with detailed resolution. Thankfully with preset saving you only have to enter it once; also I use Equalizer APO and I personally hear no sound degradation of any kind. YMMV. Nuff said about that.

80Hz is exaggerated in order to target bass drums and make them slam and cut through the mix. The dip before 40.2Hz is there to give sub, sub bass some punch to bass guitars and the low, low end of kick drums.

Iā€™ve intentially emphasized the ā€œmagicā€ frequencies from 3450-4350Hz, one of the sweet spots of this headphone, and I think it sounds great but depending on how the tracks YOU listen to are mastered you may have to decrease these frequencies if it sounds too ā€œsharpā€ or ā€œshoutyā€. Fortunately Iā€™ve made it easy, just turn up or down the gain value of Filter 16 to taste and find your own happy setting.

Preamp: -17.35 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 21 Hz Gain 3.46 dB Q 1.2
Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 40.2 Hz Gain 5.4 dB Q 0.69
Filter 3: ON LSC Fc 40.2 Hz Gain 1.08 dB Q 4
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 80 Hz Gain 6.75 dB Q 1.6
Filter 5: ON LSC Fc 90 Hz Gain 7.25 dB Q 0.65
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 110 Hz Gain 2.7 dB Q 1.41
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 200 Hz Gain -3.35 dB Q 2.34
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 300 Hz Gain 3.05 dB Q 1.2
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 575 Hz Gain 3.25 dB Q 3
Filter 10: ON PK Fc 785 Hz Gain -2.6 dB Q 2.2
Filter 11: ON HSC Fc 1235 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 2.4
Filter 12: ON HSC Fc 1500 Hz Gain 8.1 dB Q 0.71
Filter 13: ON PK Fc 1910 Hz Gain 1.45 dB Q 4
Filter 14: ON PK Fc 2700 Hz Gain -2.75 dB Q 2
Filter 15: ON PK Fc 3450 Hz Gain 1.1 dB Q 5
Filter 16: ON PK Fc 3750 Hz Gain 3.1 dB Q 1.7
Filter 17: ON PK Fc 4350 Hz Gain 2.3 dB Q 3.5
Filter 18: ON PK Fc 5500 Hz Gain -2.35 dB Q 4.5
Filter 19: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain -3.75 dB Q 2.5
Filter 20: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain 2.45 dB Q 5
Filter 21: ON PK Fc 7350 Hz Gain -1.65 dB Q 3.5
Filter 22: ON PK Fc 10000 Hz Gain -1 dB Q 0.8
Filter 23: ON HSC Fc 13000 Hz Gain 1.75 dB Q 1.4

To increase or decrease bass, adjust gain to Filter 5 to taste.
To increase or decrease high-mid range ā€œshoutinessā€, adjust Filter 16 to taste.
To increase or decrease treble, adjust gain to Filter 22 to taste.
To increase or decrease upper treble/sparkle/air, adjust gain to Filter 23 to taste.

Here is an original track of mine that I find to be well balanced and good to test this EQ out on:
Jonne Haven - Dusty Road

Another original track to try out is my cover of The Archies - Sugar, Sugar:

To hear what this EQ is doing from the starting point of the stock sound, which is very good on its own too IMO BTW, I would encourage you to make two presets in your preferred EQ software. One with this EQ and the other with a flat EQ and a preamp value of -13.35 to approximate loudnesses. Get your best reference tracks and A/B away!

Congratulations on getting this far! Remember this is just how I like to listen to my LCD-Xā€¦ Iā€™m not selling anything, just sharing my experience with these awesome and incredibly EQ-able HPs!
Immerse!

Blessings,
-Jonne

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your EQ Jonneā€¦ I just now loaded it and played some music with itā€¦ again, this one is great just like your last oneā€¦ this one a bit more precise in carving out the frequenciesā€¦ great jobā€¦
One suggestion - the pre-amp value for my system is a little too aggressive where you have it setā€¦ what I normally do is set the pre-amp at 0db and then turn on the prevent clipping button and then play back several songs that have high dynamic rangeā€¦ when I do that the preamp will adjust itself to prevent the clipping of the signalā€¦ once I play those songs I just take the pre amp slidder and adjust it down by 1db for a little extra headroom away from clippingā€¦ and then save the EQ presetā€¦ that way I get the max dynamic range without having to worry about clippingā€¦ it also allows the amplifier a volume range where you arenā€™t pushing the amp a little harder with some other headphonesā€¦
I named your EQ the Magic EQ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Hey @dixter!

Iā€™m glad that you could tell the differences between this revision and the last. It takes a keen ear as they are very similar, very different to me but to most very similar. Though this revision is even more in tuned with the Harman Curve, I did not just follow it blindlyā€¦it just turns out that my tastes and some of the Harman Curve are in line.

Thank you for your suggestion with the pre-amp settingā€¦I will try it out! And thank you for appreciating my work!

Blessings,
-J

Introducing the NMD-LCD Series Custom Pads.

With the biggest cavity and maximum memory foam comfort, you can hear them all day without any sound being obstructed.

Measurements:
110mm Diameter
80 x 60mm Cavity
45 x 20mm Rear/Front

Compatible Models:
LCD 2, 2C, 3, 4, X, XC

Or Create your own configuration with Leather, Leatherette, Suede, Fabric or Perforation types /
Full customizable sizes.

4 Likes

Nice find. Thank you. The LCD XC is the only headphone Iā€™ve never changed the pads on. This looks tempting.

1 Like