Audeze LCD-XC over-ear planar magnetic Headphones - Official Thread

Ath-wp900 have a bigger sound stage than mobius. Less closed in. For me they had a weird bass boost. Some consider this a feature not a bug. They were also a lot of fun. But gaming? Not so sure.

I have never heard the two you mentioned.

The XC is definitely up there for what you want. And drop ether cx (probably hard to get there?)

Have you considered an IEM? The original unique melody mest is on sale and is said to have that kind of open sound. But I don’t have personal experience there. I may soon, but not yet.

The other thing is if you have a source for returnable options, buy a good open back and see if it interferes.

1 Like

Hey everyone, how is the isolation on the LCD-XC compared to other closed-backs? I’m wondering if I can sit maybe five feet from an acoustic guitarist and his microphone not pick up bleed from my headphones while we’re recording.
For some references, how does the bleed compare to, for example, DT-770, M50X, Celestee?
Thank you.

2 Likes

Hi. Yeah. They bleed pretty strongly. 5 feet is a short distance, so I’d say no for isolation. However, the XC’s are a beautiful sounding closed back. Great slam and wide soundstage for a closed back. :wink:

1 Like

The lcd-xc was worse than others I have tried. But not by a crazy amount. No closed back has been sufficiently isolating for my situation.

As to your specific situation, I can’t answer directly. (Mine was wife telling me she doesn’t want to hear my music). But, aren’t iems the answer here?

@Torq offered a helpful comparison of Closed back here Closed back headphones - #7 by Torq

At that time, he found the Aeon Flow closed to be the most isolating.

MrSpeakers AEON Flow Closed

The exception that makes the rule … this is a better sounding, more neutral, and more open sounding headphone than its open-back cousin … for the same price. Likes power - otherwise they’ll sound congested and lifeless/dull (not something to use straight out of a phone). Tonality can be tweaked with included filters. Not a detail-monster (though better with the black filter), but otherwise a very engaging and convincing listen. Looks fantastic, excellent comfort, supplied cables are a sane length, non-microphonic and extremely flexible. Offers the best isolation I’ve so far found in a passive headphone.

1 Like

Hi!

1.) I took your raw measurements, and added the ‘more realistic bass’ to it - superimposing it atop to line up where it needed to.

2.) I plotted the data using webplotdigitizer

3.) Ran it through AutoEQ targeting my preferred curve. Results are below. Does it look like a decent EQ for LCD-XC Carbon, based on what you know?

Thanks!

2 Likes

Did you take the on-head bass response? Otherwise, looks pretty good. Maybe the upper treble could use some curbing?

1 Like

I kinda’ like a smidge of upper treble, so the way the procedure ran actually works to my preferential-benefit :slight_smile:

RE: showing my work →

I combined

with what you suggested as ‘More realistic bass given the fit to head’

to create

3 Likes

Yeah solid. That’s what I would do. Mind posting the filters?

1 Like

Sure - here’s my EQ for LCDXC based on the measurements combined detailed above :slight_smile:

Hope it helps someone :slight_smile:

Preamp: -6.3 dB

Peak: Fc 21 Hz Gain 6.1 dB Q 0.49
Peak: Fc 189 Hz Gain -0.9 dB Q 1.41
Peak: Fc 446 Hz Gain 1.5 dB Q 2.55
Peak: Fc 749 Hz Gain -0.8 dB Q 2.62
Peak: Fc 1454 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.14
Peak: Fc 2162 Hz Gain -1.4 dB Q 0.82
Peak: Fc 4363 Hz Gain 3.9 dB Q 2.17
Peak: Fc 4727 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 2.41
Peak: Fc 5745 Hz Gain -4.9 dB Q 4.92
Peak: Fc 8490 Hz Gain 3.2 dB Q 1.86

5 Likes

Beautiful Headphones

2 Likes

Hi everyone
Would like to know what everyones LCD XC 2021 weights in at as mine seems to be closer to 690g(without the cables plugged in)
My scales are cheap so mite be some discrepancy there

Also one of my carbon cups is perfectly smooth and the other has bumps and imperfections on the outer lacquer.
Has anyone else come accross this issue?
Does not affect the sound but just a bit disapointing.

1 Like

676 Grams

Left Earcup (All smooth)

Right Earcup (All smooth)

2 Likes

Its hard to see but on last image the lacquer is rough and not smooth
Easier to see in person. If you look at the reflection you can see one is clear the other is not
Also my lcd are heavier than everyone elses not sure why. Mite be my scales

1 Like

I am not sure why yours are heavier… perhaps the scale as you eluded to. You could test that against a known weight (got some quarters?)

RE: Texture - it isn’t hard to see at all. I can clearly see it isn’t the same.

Presumably, you acquired them from an authorized dealer (or direct) recently - if so, it might be worth doing an exchange… or at the very least, ask for a partial refund (Discount) given you received B or C stock product. Given the sound is not compromised, perhaps they could make you whole that way to avoid a costly return\replacement and all the time\effort\shipping that entails.

Food for thought.

including the headphone stand?

what about the headphone stand?

676 grams headphones only.

1.) Turn on scale
2.) Place empty headphone stand on
3.) Tare to zero out the weigh of stand
4.) Add headphones to get weight of 676g

2 Likes

Guys. Compare the weight of your headphone stands to be sure of where the possible extra weight might come from. :wink:

1 Like

Right, but did @Essentials do the same thing?

@Nephilim_81 - exactly

1 Like

:grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: yes if i didnt it would be way higher. My stand weights amore than the headphones :joy:

1 Like