AudioQuest Dragonfly Cobalt USB DAC/AMP - Official Thread

The Dragontail is Audioquest’s On the Go USB cable that goes from USB C or Micro to USB A (female). They did not make one with a lightning connector, so one has to rely on the Apple Camera Adapter for the older “i” products.

3 Likes

Thank you!

I’m using the Apple USB adapter (pictured in the review). It’s slightly smaller than the Camera adapter, but Audioquest does recommend Apple’s Camera adapter as they found it more reliable in testing.

I’d have to say that they’re making that recommendation with good reason. I have audio drop-outs from time to time, usually if the connector is wiggled a bit through my moving about.

I’m using the USB adapter because I already owned it before I received the DFC.

2 Likes

Thank you!

Definitely not intended for planars.

1 Like

Actually they are sorta current Hungry, the Aeon2C, they sound very recessed and bloomy in the low end from dragonfly red.

2 Likes

Great review @ValentineLuke !!

1 Like

Thank you! :pray:t4:

I was inspired to finish early by our exchange yesterday (?).

1 Like

I was not aware that a regular USB adapter would even recognize a DAC.

1 Like

The Apple branded one does.

2 Likes

@ValentineLuke is right, the original from Apple will work. I have the one in the picture and the wider(the one with usb and lightning together)and both work with the Dragonfly Red, Bifrost and a couple of iFi dacs.

1 Like

Really nice to read review , thanks!!
I’m thinking about adopt a “baby Aeolus” , just wondering how long will take to become an “adult Aeolus “ :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you!

Same here, brother.

I have a few upgrades on hardware before I move onto ZMF’s line.

2 Likes

Excellent review Christopher. Great comparisons too with lots of detailed explanation. Great read.

2 Likes

Thank you, Paul.

I truly appreciate the kind words.

2 Likes

No worries, you’ve done some great writeups and it should be recognised. These reviews take time and effort and I appreciate anyone who takes the time to do them.

5 Likes

Hey compadre :slight_smile:

What a cool review on the Cobalt.
From the 3 Dragonfly Sticks, I believe the Cobalt is the most refined and the Red is a bit more powerful?
Could this be the case?

Don’t look to close on the Matrix or it comes earlier than planned :wink:

2 Likes

Thank you, kind sir.

I haven’t heard any of the other variants, but I think you’re correct.

I wouldn’t mind getting the Matrix sooner than planned! :wink:

what stood out to me was the use of the “other” adapter - new day and again learned something useful :slight_smile:

in times with many new “easy to drive headphones” and superb IEMs, this Cobalt is a thing!

one could say, it sticks out of the jungle with many cheapo dongles and bulky mobile dac/amps

1 Like

It’s convenient, though not perfect.

It really makes me want to upgrade my aging (first gen., only two years old) iPad Pro.

I was telling my partner last night that the DFC she bought me for Christmas would work better with the Dragontail to usb-c on the newer iPad Pro’s.

She just rolled her eyes… :laughing:

1 Like

The Cobalt and Red have the same amplifier and power. Choices with the DAC implementation may give a bit more refinement to Cobalt. Cobalt is also carrying some of the “Jitterbug” circuitry.

I have and still use both the Cobalt and my Dragonfly Black with Jitterbug. The Black has less power, but it’s good with some IEMs and efficient headphones.

3 Likes

I had no trouble with the Aeon 1 closed, running off a laptop. Maybe the specs are different, and I haven’t tried with my Android because the damn Dragonfly dongle won’t stay inserted properly rendering it pretty much a wash for on-the-go use. Otherwise, it sounds pretty great to me … But it’s also my first foray into micro-DACs.

2 Likes