Balanced DAC under $300.00 (US$)

Sony DAPs don’t use OTG cables, they use a proprietary WM-PORT cable.

The standard cable, included with the players, is for connecting the DAP to a PC or charger and is terminated with a USB A (male) plug.

The one you need to connect to external DACs is a WM-PORT to USB A (female) socket. Specifically, the cable is called “Sony WMC-NWH10 USB Conversion Cable for Hi Res Audio Output”. You plug that into the player, and then plug a normal USB A to USB B cable into that.

Make sure you put the DACMagic Plus in USB 2.0 mode.

You may need to turn off charging when in USB DAC mode, too.

Sometimes the power-on sequence matters, too; usually requiring that you make the connections, with the DAP powered on, and then turn on the DAC.

1 Like

Yes that is the OTG cable that I was referring to. I have spoken to a few people on Head-Fi that could never get the combo to work. The DAC would just never take a feed or recognize the DAP.

I backed out of the deal. I guess I have to do more homework.

Maybe I will just have to buy new with a return policy to be assured of compatibility.

Sigh…

Shane D

1 Like

No, I never used the DAC Magic Plus with a DAP.

Ok, thanks.

Shane D

I know the OP has made a selection, but figured I’d toss the NAD D1050 into the mix. $338 on Amazon… but readily admit that rarely see anything about NAD products anymore… no idea why.

2 Likes

No, he has not and thanks for the input.:grinning:

I have looked at that DAC. There seem to be several versions of it, each with a different model #. None of the reviews really rave about it, but just mention that NAD is a great brand. I would not argue with that as I loved my C372 for many years.

Still haven’t made a hard decision, but leaning towards the SMSL SU-8. However repairs or service seem limited to replacement, if you can get their attention. Still listening to all suggestions.

Shane D

1 Like

ok… I thought you’d gotten a dacmagic plus…

If you want to try the NAD, my brother has one that he wants to get rid of (I’ve never heard it). He used it as an AIO at work and doesn’t use it anymore. I’m sure it would be well under your $300 price point…

1 Like

That would be awesome if he lived in Canada?

Shane D

I should also add that the DAC Magic Plus does not seem to work with the type of DAP that I want to use it with.

Shane D

No, in PA, but I’m I can ask him if he’d be willing to ship to Canada. I’ve had private party stuff sent to me from Canada and nothing has ever gotten held up. I’ll ask him

I use a SMSL-SU8! I am not sure about getting a replacement but when I asked a few questions about it during Shenzens New Years sale they were fast to answer and fast to ship after they were in stock, so hopefully the service for getting it replaced isn’t too bad.

I haven’t played around with the PCM filters since I was happy with Fast Linear but I did play with the digital filters. The one it came loaded with is Standard, which I think sounded wonky, it’s like it added a hump in the mids. I switched around them and am a fan of Crystal 3 and Original. Crystal 3 makes the bass a little less punchy but makes the highs a bit more sparkly without changing anything else much. Original sounds the most normal, no bass change, no sparkles, no mid weirdness.

The only balanced DACs I considered were the almost released SMSL M300(which has a AK4497 chip) and the Geshelli Labs ENOG2 since the original ENOG sounded really great. Spec-wise the SMSL-SU8 looked solid spec-wise and measures well, especially balanced, which is why I went with it.

Note of caution though, you need the remote to do any changes other than the source select. If you lose it, there is no way on the device to access the functionality. Ridiculous!

You may be able to get the SMSL M300 through AliExpress, which may ship to Canada for free? I couldn’t confirm when I entered an Address to test.

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing your experience! I looked at the ENOG2 and may get it for my computer, but it doesn’t work for me with no USB.

The SU-8 does look very interesting and I don’t need a DAC/Amp.

Shane D

Thanks for the offer, but I think I am going to buy new. Then, if it won’t work with the set-up that I have, I can return it.

Shane D

2 Likes

I am always scouring Canuck Audio Mart for stuff. The vast majority of which I don’t need or can’t afford.

However, sometimes an ad just jumps out and grabs you. It screams that “You don’t know anything about music reproduction if you don’t buy this level of product, you are just a pretender!”
That was all conveyed via the price.

The product is a DAC: Tchernov Audio Apollo DAC. There is quite a considerable cut and paste about the majesty of this product.

Normally the retail price is $44,475.00, but you can grab one for the super duper price of $39,475.00.
I guess this would be a nice addition to your $500,000.00 system.:grin:

How many folks do you suppose browse a used gear web site featuring $300.00 to $3,000.00 used DAC’s see that ad and go “DUH! I have been doing this all wrong. I am going to buy that DAC and then start building a REAL system!”

The mind boggles at the wealth out there. Not a diatribe against rich folks, it just caught me off guard.
I have seen and even heard some high end stuff, but wow.

Shane D

2 Likes

Many dealers use Agon and USA Audio Mart sellers.

Yes I know. Most use it to dump demo’s or trade in’s. Some even post their sales. That is how I got my amp.

I just thought a used equipment site was a weird place to advertise a $45K DAC.

Shane D

2 Likes

Teac also makes a few small DACs that have balanced outputs.

1 Like

I have seen those, but they are pricey. The UD-301 sells for $599.00 up here, plus 15% tax.
If I could find it used for about $400.00ish, I would probably jump on it. I have never seen a used one.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Shane D

1 Like

I’ve seen a bunch of used and refurb units in the US for pretty reasonable prices. Haven’t looked into canada though.

example: https://www.ebay.com/itm/TEAC-UD-H01-HD-USB-Audio-DAC-192-kHz-Digital-Analog-Converter-Headphone-Amp/303106121951?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20160908105057%26meid%3Deb2b12a85887420ba9ee5477054bf656%26pid%3D100675%26rk%3D12%26rkt%3D15%26sd%3D173909813116%26itm%3D303106121951&_trksid=p2481888.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci%3A6f7ca247-7e6b-11e9-bed2-74dbd180e037|parentrq%3Aebc2748316a0ab148c71b080ff9df459|iid%3A1

1 Like

The longer this thread goes on, the more it makes me want to re-iterate the reality of balanced DACs in the headphone space.

The benefits to a balanced DAC feeding a balanced amplifier are, at best, three-fold:

1. Balanced cabling is better able to reject external interference. This is rarely an issue in home situations and is generally only a factor with long (multi-meter, often stage/studio width length) cable runs.

2. Balanced connections can (but do not always) help eliminate ground-loop/hum issues. If you don’t have this to deal with, then this benefit it moot.

3. In theory, in the right implementations (usually not the cheap ones), you can attain one additional bit (6 dB) of dynamic range from your DAC implementation (requires dual, phase-inverted, DACs per channel).

For a given price, a balanced DAC is unlikely to sound as good, or measure as well, as a single-ended DAC, simply because you have to compromise on the parts quality to be able to cover 2-4x the number of parts in the balanced version vs. the singled ended.

There are very few low-cost balanced DACs for this reason.

You’re almost certainly better off using a single-ended DAC and a Y-spliiter and feeding both amps a single-ended signal. The P20 is not such a great performer that it really matters how you feed it.

3 Likes