Balanced DAC under $300.00 (US$)

Your market is ten ten times bigger so you have ten times more of everything.:laughing:

We pay much more and have much less selection. Life in the Great White North.

Speaking of which, is it ever going to get warm???

Shane D

1 Like

Just to revive a dying thread, anyone have any input on this? I finally got notice that my cable has entered Canada (30 days later) and will be here next week. I need to make a DAC decision very soon. I am thinking Monday.

I have an opportunity to grab an NAD D1050 for a decent price. Any thoughts?

Thanks for any input!

Shane D

1 Like

I love the Geshelli Labs Enog2Pro DAC. Works well both SE and Balanced. I currently have it running balanced into the Cavalli Liquid Carbon X and it sounds great. Clean and clear background, analytical and neutral sound.

4 Likes

You can a simple USB interface like the Behringer UC222 or a Gustard U12 like I use. It will take your USB from PC and convert to ouput either coaxial or SPDIF. The U12 also can do aes3. A very easy, cheap way to get around the no USB issue.

3 Likes

I think I will probably get the Geshelli down the road for my computer.

However, for my little “sound station”, I don’t want to use any unneeded adapters. I think I have decided that I am going to get a SMSL SU-8. I see that it is on MassDrop again. If it doesn’t go on sale in China by Monday, I will hit buy on the Drop.

I did finally get my magic cable for my DAP.:smiley:

Shane D

2 Likes

Cool. Enjoy.

2 Likes

Yes enjoy. Happy listening.

1 Like

Thanks, but now there is the waiting. I had really hoped to find something that I could get in a couple of days, but the price is SO right and apparently it is quite the performer.

Took 5 weeks to get my “magic cable” and now it might take another 5 weeks to get a DAC to use with it.

2019 is the year of building “The System”. Much like the Toronto Blue Jays, the key word is patience this year.:grin:

Shane D

1 Like

Oooo, I hate waiting. Still everything comes to he who waits so they say. Good luck and keep us up to date.

1 Like

As an update, I finally made the decision to go with the SMSL SU-8. They went on sale Sunday night (Monday morning in China).
It is now on it’s way to me. I have NO idea on delivery time frame. Very curious though.

With the sale, the price was exactly the same as Drop, which doesn’t ship for another four weeks.

Shane D

6 Likes

I hope you like it, I haven’t regretted purchasing the SU-8 at all for the price!

1 Like

Well, I finally got my toy! I had started this thread looking for under 300.00 in US 's. Well, I ended up paying less than $300.00 in Canuck bucks. Very happy with purchase so far, but of course I have to set it up and see if it works now.:grin:

For those who can translate, is that a pass to the Shenzhen Audio show?

Shane D

Ordered June 17th at 1:00AM and received in Nova Scotia, Canada at 11:00AM on June 26th from Singapore.

8 Likes

You are a very patient person. I would have upgraded three times during the time spent on your equipment search…just kidding of course, but congrats on the new toy!

4 Likes

As I get older I do seem to find patience I never knew I had.:grin:

I really didn’t want to break the bank on a product that I wasn’t sure I really needed and I am not sure will even work (Sony Canada says that my line out cable does not even exist and several people have not even been able to make it work with various DAC’s.).

I have also been waiting to test out my Schiit Loki for this to come in.

Going to watch a ball game this afternoon (Blue Jays/Yankees) as I start hooking things up.

Shane D

3 Likes

Everything works on my DAC. No bad channels, no humming, works great with my DAP and putting out RCA and XLR just fine.

And the Loki is cool! It’ll give your Grado’s and Beyerdynamic’s some bass.:smiley:

Shane D

4 Likes

I am sure this has been posted about before but you can have the SMSL SU-8 balanced Dac On sale right now for only $170 on drop and if you want to buy from another source based in Oakland, CA, (west coast baby) with fast shipping and great service Apos Audio will price match as well. The unit measures extremely well, above its price point.

4 Likes

Hi, can u give advice. Wanna make a gift for friend. Looked for DAC compares and couldn’t choose.
Liked Audioengine D1 24-bit and Avantree DAC02. Can u tell me is there a big difference between them and which manufacturer is better?

1 Like

I would choose an SMSL SU-8 DAC. I love mine and it is feeding four amps. I ordered mine direct from Shenzhen Audio during a sale. Drop has been putting it on sale regularly for about $170.00, I think.

3 Likes

Heads up, the SMSL SU-9 is supposed to be coming out soon, but got delayed due to whats going on right now. I was also going to get the SU-8, until I found out about the SU-9. No idea what the SU-9 will cost so it could end up being more expensive.

I have a Modi 3 coming in for my THX 789, not even sure if it’s worth upgrading but we’ll see.

3 Likes

wow, thanks for variants. I’ll look them