Cables - 3rd Party/Upgrades & Recommendations

Thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions. Many eons ago I mentioned I was a recovering audioholic, so I now refuse to pay huge amounts of $$$ for cables. But, I clearly understand the concept of quality. From quality to unreasonableness there is a short path that can be quite addictive.

Cheers, sincerely thanks again!

3 Likes

They’re not 6-pin, they’re 12-pin.

8 for the signal lines, 2 to allow for different shielding options (direct, buffered, active) and 2 to allow for dielectric biasing.

For an 8-conductor cable (2 conductors per phase, per channel), each conductor gets a dedicated pin. For 16-conductor cables, they get doubled up, 2 conductors per pin.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for the find. I have considered doing this myself after seeing how @Torq had it setup, but was thinking of how the splitter design would work and using mini-xlr makes a lot of sense but also hard to deal with (and regular XLR is too heavy).

This looks like a great price for a kit, considering how much it would cost to do it yourself, even with cheap aliexpress parts.

4 Likes

Yes and I spent 150 pounds on only 2 adapter solutions elsewhere
here you get more adapter solutions than most people need + a cable for under 100 with from what I read good quality

• this is ready for shipping
    Elsewhere you can wait a few weeks for shipping
2 Likes

Whoa that’s pretty cool, didn’t realize that was an option thank you for the correction

2 Likes

Trevor does great work! He’s also done a lot to shorten turnover time.
I would also recommend to email him before ordering anything as he offers a lot of customization options, and great advise on pairings with gear etc.

Here’s a picture from Trevor’s website of the cable I currently am using for my Empyreans!

Silverguard S3

8 Likes

Ordered a custom set! Thanks for introducing me to this site… I ordered a custom set🧐

4 Likes

for which headphone? so he does purple? :slight_smile:
I am very interested in your opinion

Will also get me a set- not sure yet what colours
My oidio sound UK order arrived today in the office,
but had to stay at home today, because injured my foot…

2 Likes

Yeah I asked for ZMF 4pin mini XLR… and yeah a combo of purples :wink:

2 Likes

haha what else

2 Likes

to connect my oidio sound uk 3.5 balanced TRRS to female 4 PIN XLR with this new one

(from ifi xDSD balanced to THX AAA 789) - already have the the single ended and wanted to compare balanced

5 Likes

Sorry if already mentioned and I missed, but I like LQI Cables… fully customizable, use silver, etc.

3 Likes

I have ordered a Stellia UP-OCC upgrade cable from this seller:

Very well built, good prices. They also sell on e-bay, where I bought it. Customizable color choice. Very pliable cable, absolutely no microphonics.

2 Likes

Arctic Cables. makes nice cables. Bought a couple myself.

1 Like

I just bought a short set of RCA interconnects (6 inches) made from Canare L-4E6S, Star Quad cable and Neutrik-Rean NYS 373 RCA plugs. The cable itself is fine as is the soldering but the plug ends have a rather loose fit on female connectors. It appears that Rean has changed the ends of their connectors. I have an older pair that have a much tighter fit. From the photos you can see the difference between the older and newer plug ends. Unless I am missing something, like having to pinch the plug ends, I would not recommend Neutrik-Rean NYS 373 RCA plugs.
New plugs

Old

Rean%20Plug%20Old

2 Likes

Thanks for the “heads up”

1 Like

Oidio Pellucid series cable for Focal Elegia arrived today. Nice build quality, excellent appearance, and very flexible – a clear upgrade from the stock cables. No noticable difference in sound to me, but interested to see if I detect any differences over time.

8 Likes

the “oidio-diamond” colour choice looks really cool to me on your pictures - even better than on the pics at oidio´s homepage!
how long did you have to wait from order to shipment?

1 Like

It was about 2 weeks from order to shipment. International shipment was hassle free and took a little over a week.

3 Likes

Elegia definitely benefits from a cable upgrade. The stock cable is not so fun haha. Those look great!

7 Likes