Cables - 3rd Party/Upgrades & Recommendations

I just unboxed a Massdrop Periapt 4-Pin XLR for my HiFiMan HE6se.

Looks like a good cable. Sounds good. Sure it will get a little better with some break in.

That looks sharp! I almost got the same cable but placed my order with SkyAudio cables instead. Hoping to receive mine by this weekend.

2 Likes

And here it is…

This is the Acrolink 6N cable from Sky Audio (eBay/UK)

6 Likes

uhhh I like the look! the black carbon splitter is really cool!
how long did you choose the cable?

2 Likes

Thxs Martin, I chose the 1.5m cable since I sit pretty close to my amp/dac.

1 Like

oh ok, so you use 4.4 for stationary connection
I assumed you use it with a DAP

I did choose my mobile balanced Elegia cable with 1,15m with XLR source to XLR/3.5 TRRS 20cm adapter to connect with the ifi xDSD
can always add a XLR cable with different lengths to use it with the stationary DAC/AMP

3 Likes

I did choose the 4.4 termination for flexibility. I have 2.5 out in my DAP (iBasso DX120) but have 2.5 to 4.4 adapter. On my Sabaj D5 I have XLR to 4.4 adapter. And I know that my next DAP will have 4.4 :slight_smile:

3 Likes

good plan - I also have different 2.5 to 4.4 and 4.4 to XLR adapters already bought for the future(HiBy R5 may be on it´s way with santa… but who knows)

3 Likes

I have 2 Periapt cables. Excellent quality, reasonable price. I also have a couple more expensive cables for my ZMF/Audeze HPs. I think I hear sonic differences, all in favor of the pricey/bigger/badder cables.

It helps to realize that I have a cable jones…it’s just audio lust finding a new way to emerge.

3 Likes

Hart audio. Good guys. Great equipment. Great prices.

2 Likes

Nice chess set. I also love chess. Play everyday. Music and chess is just the best. Oh! my daughter is a wine maker :grinning:
Game of chess, followed by a glass of wine and then some music listening.

5 Likes

I checked out the Norne site. Beautiful cables, and I love the modular system. Seems like it would also be easier on your headphone connectors to have an adapter than to swap out at the connector.

Any opinions on interconnects? They range just as much, if not more in price than headphone cables.

My go-to have been Mogami. They’re commonly used in professional applications and my experience with them has been positive. Relatively inexpensive as well as being durable/well made.

1 Like

have also some “Mogami” interconnects - quite reasonable price for performance and don´t look bad either

2 Likes

There are very well made. We’ve affectionately joked in our family (with our ‘adopted’ Japanese relative) that Japanese are the Asian version of Germans. Fantastic builders/engineers. And very disciplined.

2 Likes

Japanese are the Asian Swiss. Wildly technical and precise. Bizarrely clean mountainous homelands.

3 Likes

Totally! Swiss-Germans. Not the French kind.

1 Like

I’ve heard it said that the Japanese have invented very little but perfected almost everything. Living here, I have a deep appreciation for their craftsmanship and attention to detail.

6 Likes

I have got a Japanese Oyaide interconnect cable that links my DAP with my portable amp. Great cable and plugs!

1 Like

I found these mentioned in some different reviews. They appear to be similar to the Norne modular cables but at more of a value oriented price.

https://hartaudiocables.com/collections/hacable-kit/products/multi-kit-1-includes-3-variant-of-ic-1-through-ic-6

A full kit with a headphone cable, plus 6 of the most common interconnects can be had for about $100 USD.

8 Likes