Chord Electronics - Official Thread

The first thing the output of an LPS into a Chord Qutest would find … is more (internal) switching power supplies. No measurable difference at the output of the DAC. No audible difference either (to me). Even when I’ve tried it with a state of the art lab-supply that cost more than a new BMW.

Same was true of the Hugo TT2.

I’ve heard a DAVE that was modified with a big, external, PSU that cost half as much as the DAC itself and was in an ugly plain box at least twice the size of it. This actually bypasses DAVEs internal main SMPS (though not all the internal ones). Couldn’t tell it apart from a regular DAVE in a synchronized, level matched, back to back comparison. Didn’t measure any different at the output of the DAC either.

Personally, the cases I’ve found where an LPS did make a difference, it was mostly with analog hardware (amplifiers), that didn’t then have their other SMPS or level-shifters internally. That usually required measurements to see … audibility was basically zero unless either nothing was playing, or it was so quiet a passage as to be subject to other noise issues anyway.

Your mileage may vary.

7 Likes

Yes indeed about analog - most of the LPS’s I see go with phono preamps…

Good to know you tried it and gained no improvement. I did not know there another internal switching power supply on the Qutest DAC. I figured the external Power supply was where the business was conducted.

I wonder if there a specific design reason? Thanks for the info @Torq You saved me some $$.

4 Likes

Almost all digital electronics have multiple level-shifters or switching supplies internally.

Different parts of the circuit have different power requirements. Sometimes you can do it with voltage dividers (just resistors), if you’re just reducing voltage. But switchers are more efficient and, if done properly and used appropriately, can be better than linear supplies.

4 Likes

I have my TT2 connected to my HMS. Is there any way for the HMS’s receipt of a signal to wake up the TT2? Or is my choice to leave the TT2 on or power it up with using? Standby mode (turning off on remote or pressing the power button on the front panel) seems to be power-off for all intents and purposes.

I haven’t tried LPS and don’t intend to, but I’ve had favorable experiences with the battery pack that Rob Watts uses – clarity, black background, separation.

Post in thread ‘Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread’ Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread | Page 108 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Post in thread ‘Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread’ Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread | Page 87 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Post in thread ‘Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread’ Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread | Page 87 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

Post in thread ‘Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread’ Chord Electronics Qutest DAC - Official Thread | Page 174 | Headphone Reviews and Discussion - Head-Fi.org

9 Likes

I have this one and have no complaints.

Terrific price.

1 Like

You can customize the voltage of course. :wink:

Hmmm…

I love how they didn’t show what’s on the inside at all. lol

Article

You know this is a different company than Chord Electronics? :grin:

4 Likes

Ah, oops my bad! I’ll just leave it up there for fun. Thanks for the correction!

2 Likes

All good, I have seen many a times the two confused and the ire of overpriced cables aimed at our favorite DAC/Amp company :grin:

4 Likes

Our favorite overpriced DAC / Amp company.

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

4 Likes

But beloved nonetheless…

3 Likes

ANNI looks to be out soon.

Wonder how it compares with the Qutest to the TT2

1 Like

Since I’m aware of ANNI, I had to Google - Chord ANNI Desktop Amplifier

3 Likes

Details slim. Headphone and speaker amplifier.

1 Like

and the URL is dead, so we’ll just have to wait.

I can order one. But I have a SparkoS Aries too, so not sure. Might wait for reviews.

This does not look legit at all, appears as a cheap knock off. How is it less than a a Qutest, and where is there additional information about this product? Unless this is a gag?