Chord Electronics - Official Thread

Could you give your impressions of your sound change after installing the regenerator? I know it may have been a while, but that is a significant investment. I sense from your posts that you deem it an important part of your Kit.

Wow, using the Chord Hugo 2/2go to feed the MHA200 is a step up in synergy from my Matrix Element M feeding the McIntosh! Not my favorite from an aesthetic perspective with all the cables coming out on each side, but the sound quality is wowza. The Hugo 2/2go should be great with my speakers too once I get my dedicated desktop TT2.

7 Likes

Yes, of course! The main change I noticed right away is an instantly blacker background. You probably donā€™t think you have a high-ish noise floor, but once you hear it go away, itā€™s obvious. Now, different electric environments are different levels of messy, and where I am certainly doesnā€™t have a noise floor that was ā€œaudibleā€ (i.e. there was no perceptible hum or anything), but the Power Plant very perceptibly cleaned up what I didnā€™t know was there. The result is an ability to hear more microdetail, and hearing more ā€œintoā€ the recording.

Additionally, I felt everything just tightened up a little bit - just more in focus. However, I canā€™t be sure if that is just a byproduct of the noise floor dropping or an actual ā€œadditionalā€ benefit.

Two important things to note, though. First, I highly recommend setting additional budget aside for a better power cord to feed the Power Plant. Yes, itā€™s still an improvement with the stock cable (or, as they call it, a ā€œcourtesy cableā€), but Iā€™ve stepped up my cable twice, both times with an audible improvement. The power cable feeding your power plant is the most important one in your system, and I could very clearly hear the difference when changing them out. You donā€™t have to go crazy right away, but I would recommend setting aside $100-200 on top of the Power Plantā€™s asking price as a minimum starting point for a decent cable. Audioquest is great, but so are other brands; Iā€™m just not familiar with them. Second, I donā€™t think you need to consider a Power Plant until the rest of your chain is already at a pretty high level. As a rule of thumb, I believe the Power Plant should be the least expensive (major) component in your system. If it isnā€™t, you probably wonā€™t be able to fully appreciate what itā€™s doing.

I do rank this component very highly, and would actually keep it over my beloved tube amp if I had to choose between the two. It just does so much to set a nice clean baseline for the system, and I wouldnā€™t ever want to go back to listening without it.

If you want an expert opinion on noise floor, you can read some of Rob Wattsā€™ musings, like this one. Heā€™s the designer of Chordā€™s DACs.

7 Likes

Thanks a lot. You write great posts!. Would you think it is reasonable with a Qutest/Phonitor x/HD800S setup?

1 Like

17 posts were merged into an existing topic: Roon or Audirvana and why

9 Likes

Mojo 2, looks like? Neat.

If they use USB C and improved battery = very interesting.

4 Likes

It looks a lot like the leaked images from earlier this year, which has both usbc and the same microusb layout presumably to make it compatible with poly and the new M buttonā€¦mode?

4 Likes

If that ends up being the actual configuration, Iā€™d love to see a Data/USB combo USB-C, but I understand why they separate them. I just like having one cable vs two shrugs.

I too am using the Qutest with HQPlayer. Love it. I build a dedicated server for Roon and HQPlayer utilizing a Geforce RTX 2080 Ti for full CUDA offload. Itā€™s quiet and clear. Using sinc-M and 384 up sampling. Itā€™s a great combination for the $$.

3 Likes

+1 for a Qutest Owner. :slight_smile:
That DAC gives you over 90% of what the Chord TT2 DAC does. It is highly worth it.

2 Likes

Going live with the legend Rob Watts Chord Electronics from CanJam SoCal 2022!!! 11:40am PST

3 Likes

All right! Thank you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

For anyone interested, @andrew , @GoldenSound , DMS and I did some travelling before Munich High-End in May and one of our stops was to see Chord in the UK! They hosted us for the day, took us to the one pub that the town had remaining and let us sit in traffic while we waited for cars to pass on the single lane bridge to get in and out of the village. Oh and we also interviewed John Franks, Founder and CEO of Chord along with members of their engineering team!

Check it out below

13 Likes

That was a lot of fun, they were some great hosts.

3 Likes

What a delightful video, guys!

Feels like an appropriate time for a mini love letter to Chord. My first real piece of ā€œaudiophileā€ gear was a Chord Mojo (OG), and it, along with the Focal Utopia, are responsible for me diving down the audio rabbit hole. I still have both, and theyā€™re not going anywhere. Despite many additions over the last few years (notably, Mojoā€™s older siblings), Iā€™d still be pleased as punch to have only the Mojo and Utopia I started with. I also very much appreciate Chordā€™s presence at CanJam events, and the availability, friendliness, and enthusiasm of not only Rob Watts, but everyone else who comes along as well.

I do consider the companies behind the products I buy, and this video only reinforces my enjoyment of my Chord gear, and makes me feel good about being a Chord fan. :slight_smile:

How it started:

How it evolved:

How itā€™s going:

Thanks, Chord!

6 Likes

I know exactly what you mean :slightly_smiling_face:

After watching the video I suddenly felt that I needed a Chord product and was looking at the Mojo 2 - I hope that at some point they will release a version with a 4.4 output and a built-in ā€œPolyā€ - I would place an order immediately and use it on the go :slight_smile:

5 Likes