Chord Hugo TT 2

Source has always been my friend. For me it comes to Mastering Engineer. I am a huge fan of “Steve Hoffman” and “Gus Skinas” from Sonoma Studios.

From what I understand and have read on different forums the M-Scaler get the music to real analog, as in listening to an album.

1 Like

It’s hard to know what that really means.

The first thought “real analog” and “listening to an album” prompts, for me, is that it’s a reference to LP/vinyl replay. Which is challenging to process because what’s attractive about that to me is not necessarily what other people are referring to. Nor does it necessarily have anything to do with “accuracy”.

I would not say I find listening via the M-Scaler to be notably more, or less, like vinyl replay than without it.

I can say I find the end result more “natural” and realistic sounding (timbre, transients) via the M-Scaler, particularly with real instruments - where I have extensive live/acoustic references. Piano is a particularly strong example here, possibly because I own, and play, a rather nice classic instrument and am more intimately familiar with it, but also because it is seemingly such a bugger to render in a convincing manner.

The more complex the music, the better delineated I find it with the M-Scaler active. And layering is easier to perceive.

My listening sessions have, on average, become longer with it, than without it, with an even higher percentage of album-based listening (which is the majority of how I listen for pleasure anyway).

Oddly, one of the most noticeable aspects of M-Scaler-fed replay really isn’t reproduced in the vast majority of headphone systems (or indeed captured in the source material) in the first place. And that’s depth-wise spatialization and localization. Most decent setups do a good job with this laterally, but the headphones literally shutout or bypass/defeat what the brain and ear need to do this front-to-back.

It’s not a qualitative thing (it’s not about how “good” your headphones are) either - its a combination of simple physics and psychoacoustics.

With a properly setup speaker system, and suitable source material, this is quite readily heard. And with the RAAL-requisite SR1a is also quite obvious (with the drivers set at 30 degrees or wider and is most noticeable at almost 90 degrees). It’s quite apparent with the MySphere, though less so than with SR1a, and it is present, but significantly less so, with the Abyss (if you cant the drivers forward and keep a super-light seal) and somewhat with HD800S also. We can talk about why, but that’s another post*.

LATERAL spatialization/localization is more audible with almost every headphone, however, and the “three blob effect” is only ever in evidence if you’re dealing with hard-panned material.

As mentioned previously, I think the M-Scaler’s effects are important but subtle, especially initially. They are more readily apparent by their absence after having them for a while, than when you first hear them.

I won’t be giving mine up. I liked it enough to buy one for each static rig. I’d buy them again.

At the same time, I find most of the impressions I’ve read to be bordering on hyperbole. And if there ever was a case for doing an at-home, in-your-system, audition of a component before committing to buying it, then this is it.

2 Likes

Yes!

Definitely a preference of mine.
I guess I’ll know soon after arrival next week and suitable break-in.
As always thanks for experience.

2 Likes

Vinyl used to imply a full analog chain. These days it may be all digital between the microphone and the master used to press the record. This makes me question exactly what I may be getting or playing as the stylus tracks the groove.

2 Likes

True enough.

And then there are phono-stages that employ an ADC to get a digital signal and do the RIAA (etc.) EQ in software (much more accurate). I have two of those, in fact (one relatively inexpensive, one not).

So the only “analog” part might be the actual pressing and then transcription from the vinyl surface.

M-Scaler does none of these things.

Again, I don’t equate anything it does do with making replay specifically more, or less, vinyl-like. More enjoyable yes. But for different reasons.

Vinyl replay for me is about a lot more than the sound. It’s a ceremony/process thing. There’s a tactility, connection and even mortality to it that even CD replay doesn’t approach.

After all, no two plays of an LP will ever be identical, and every one results in irrevocable changes.

And, yes, the sound is different … even when there are “no clicks or pops” and the surface noise is lost in the ambient or the music itself. I typically enjoy listing via vinyl on speakers more than anything else - even if it has little to do with qualitative aspects of reproduction (i.e. fidelity).

1 Like

Yes. The process used to be less exacting. A stack of LPs on a changer. Or check the 45s to make sure they had an adapter in the center, or maybe you had an adapter on the spindle.

1 Like

Those were the days … and in those days … my introduction to vinyl/analog replay came with one of these (same color, too):

Fidelity%20HF43

The “Fidelity HF43”. Two speeds. Tone and Volume controls. Could stack a bunch of 45s and automatically play them in sequence. Had a repeat function for one single/album. Completely automatic if you wanted it to be.

Bastard thing probably still works today.

2 Likes

Looking forward to seeing what you think about it once you’ve got some time with it!

And congrats!!

I guess that me wonder if the M-Scaler is worth the extra $4800-$5000 for it?
@Torq

Certainly can find other things to spend that kind of $$$$. I was waiting on dealer to get one, but he apparently says Chord is waiting on parts and there is a delay. I certainly am not obligated to buy buy.

2 Likes

Co-incidentally, I received my BHSE today after 3 month wait. I’ve set it up finally with the TT2 and the Voce. Wow! With out of the box I never knew how awesome how any headphone setup could sound.it sounds. When it gets broken in , it no doubt will open up.

Will post impressions at a later date. I’ll try to get pictures up soon.

2 Likes

I can’t say if you’ll find it worth the price.

I can say that, for me, that a Chord DAVE on its own (i.e. without the M-Scaler) beats out the combination of M-Scaler + Hugo TT 2, for the same net price - so if it was me spending the money in one shot, that’s the path I would go.

Though Hugo TT 2 can drive more demanding headphones and is a nicer form-factor.

And, of course, going Hugo TT 2, then later adding an M-Scaler, and then potentially replacing the Hugo TT 2 with a DAVE down the road is a nice, progressive, upgrade path.

(That’s based on being a current owner of M-Scaler, Blu Mk2, Hugo TT 2 and DAVE).

4 Likes

Mr Speakers? Tell me how it is with STAX

1 Like

Given the novice I am with electrostatics nor Stax I cannot say very much regarding your question. I did try them with the new Stax SRM-D50. There was not enough power to drive the Voce. Fortunate enough to step up to what I hope is my end-game. Listening now to TT2 > Blue Hawaii SE to the Voce. I am totally blown away. I used to easily bored with some songs or albums and now I can’t stop listening to them. I am so pulled into the music . Truly amazing what I have been missing with a headphone system. Not to mention I have had some very fine ones. Nothing has ever got even close. Speed is second to none in my listening experience. As others on many forums have indicated the Voce has quite the impact with low bass. I have always subscribed to, its not how low it goes as to how much impact it has. My understanding has going low has been an issue for higher end Stax earspeakers. Once again I have very limited next to nothing experience with Stax gear.

1 Like

I’m sorry, I was not clear. I was hoping you’d have some higher-end STAX headphones to compare to the Voce. Consider it a case of electrostatic envy. I’ve never listened to the Voce, but am hoping to find either some STAX (SR-007?) or something audio in my Hanukkah stocking.

1 Like

@torq
Finally, I received the M Scaler today That’s the Voce, M Scaler, Hugo TT2 and the BHSE

I am absolutely floored. I’ve been waiting for the M Scaler to take pictures to post.
After a little burn in, I will for sure post my impression as a system including what the M Scaler does to this setup. :crazy_face:

4 Likes

I received this today and this is my initial impression.

Definitely a fine piece of kit.

3 Likes

@Torq, What do you hear when adding the M Scaler?

1 Like

Chord Hugo TT 2
DAC and Headphone Amplifier

Review written by Jeremy B. (@jb77)
A Special Thank You!
To Mr. Todd Green owner of Todd The Vinyl Junkie
https://www.ttvjaudio.com/default.asp​

Preface

A little about me, I am not a professional reviewer, as I do this for the ‘fun’ of audio. I have been interested in audio for as long as I can remember, originally my interest started in home theater /surround audio. In time that interest grew into 2-channel audio and now personal audio/headphones. On a different note, unfortunately I have a debilitating autoimmune disease, that prevents me from working(or doing pretty much anything else) So audio for me is an important diversion/escape from my conditions. I can definitely ‘feel’ for any other members here who suffer from a debilitating condition. As they are life altering.

I have a wonderful loving wife, who ‘tolerates’ my audio passion, she doesn’t ‘get it’ but is supportive of it. I have tried ‘in vein’ numerous times to help her understand it and the ‘fun’ of audio, though it is not her forte.

Introduction

*Below is from Chord Electronics website.
https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugott2/

“Developed from the multi-award-winning transportable Hugo 2, the Hugo TT 2 is bigger, better and more advanced in every way. TT 2 sets a new benchmark for table top DACs, eclipsed only by our flagship DAVE.”

“Hugo TT 2 has been radically redesigned from the ground up, not only with beautiful new casework by Chief Designer, John Franks, but with 5x the processing power of the original Hugo TT and double that of the multi-award-winning Hugo 2. Hugo TT 2 distils over 20 years of digital development by Rob Watts and takes advantage of the very latest technology.

As expected, it delivers radically improved technical specifications and measurements across the board and exhibits drastic sonic benefits over its predecessor with 768kHz PCM and DSD 512 playback. Hugo TT 2 sets a new benchmark in table top audio, only being eclipsed by DAVE.

Delving deeper, in comparison to the 256-tap filters that traditional chip DACs may run at, Hugo TT 2’s beating heart is a powerful Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA, custom-coded by Chord Electronics’ Rob Watts, with 86x 208MHz cores running in parallel to create an advanced 16FS WTA 1 filter with 98,304-taps. Double that of its multi-award winning transportable brother, Hugo 2 (49,152). Hugo TT 2 also benefits from an upgrade from a 4-element design to a 10-element design, which works in harmony with the radically upgraded FPGA and code to deliver unrivalled audio.

A brand new high-power discreet output stage coupled with second-order noise-shaping integrated between the DAC output and filter is also employed to massively reduce distortion. Further improvements have also been made to the power delivery. Hugo TT 2 eschews the Li-Po battery power supply of the original and ushers in six super capacitors capable of delivering huge, linear dynamic currents when the music demands it with peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS.

Hugo TT 2 also brings home the much loved four-stage user-selectable filter controls introduced with Hugo 2 and retains the three-stage user-selectable digital crossfeed function for headphone users who want to improve the perception of depth, similar to that of speaker
Hugo TT 2 can be upgraded at any time with the addition of M Scaler, our 1M-tap digital upscaling device.”

As I start this review off, I wanted to give A special Thank You to Todd Green, The Hugo TT 2 is on a kind loan from Todd As part of his loaner review program.
This introduction is based on my initial exposure and time I had with the Chord Hugo TT 2. So let’s begin the review.

As with all audio gear this is my personal subjective opinion. Everyone has their own preferences, which in turn makes everyone’s review subjective to their tastes and opinions.​

Features & Functionality

In addition to the obvious volume marble and porthole window, the Hugo TT 2 comes in your choice of all black or silver and black. Unlike most other cord products the Hugo TT 2 has an LCD read out, located on the left-hand side. This LCD window is visible not only from straight on, but also from above. On the front panel, the unit has three buttons labeled menu, set, and power. The front panel also includes three headphone outputs, two of which are the standard 6.5mm (¼”) and the other is 3.5mm (1/8”).

The back panel of the Hugo TT 2 digital inputs include the standard USB input, two optical inputs and two BNC digital inputs. The dual BNC inputs are meant for adding Chord’s M Scaler. The outputs of the TT 2 contain the standard single ended outputs, three pin balance outputs and DX BNC outputs.

The Hugo TT 2 is noticeably absent of analog inputs, this unit is meant to be operated as an all in one Dac Amp combo a Dac only, outputting to a separate amp and preamp out to speakers. However with the lack of analog inputs you cannot connect your own Dac and use the internal Amp.

During the power on process of the Hugo TT 2, you will notice a few different things. First off it takes about 15 seconds or so to full power on and be in a ready to use state. Second you will notice on the LCD display it shows charge, this is for the process of charging the six super capacitors the TT 2 has, also the porthole window will start to show a multitude of different colors, This is part of the lighting effects the Chord Hugo TT 2 has.

Also of note, another interesting feature is the volume marble will change colors, depending on the volume setting.

HUGO TT 2 – SPECIFICATIONS:

*Specifications are from Chord Electronics website: https://chordelectronics.co.uk/product/hugott2/

• Materials: Precision machined aluminium casing with steel ball bearing buttons, gloss black acrylic signal window, glass viewing portal, and dot matrix display. Available in a choice of two colours – silver, and satin Blackburn
• Tap length filter: 98,304-tap 16FS WTA 1 – 10 element design
• Connectivity (input): 1x USB Type-B, 2x Coax BNC, 2x Optical & Bluetooth
• Connectivity (output): Stereo XLR, Stereo RCA, 2x 6.5mm Headphone jack & 1x 3.5mm Headphone jack
• Connectivity (digital output): 2x DX BNC (expansion outputs)
• weight: 2.53kg

• PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6 and 768kHz – 16 to 32bit
• DSD support: DoP DSD 64 to DSD 512 – native via Windows
• Volume control: Digital
• Line-level mode: Activated within the menu
• Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS
• Dynamic range: 127dB ‘A’ weighted
• Noise: 4 uV ‘A’ weighted (high gain), 1.7 uV ‘A’ weighted (low gain) with no measurable noise floor modulation
• Distortion: 0.00008% @ 2.5 V 300Ω; 0.00016% @ 6 W 8Ω
• Output power (unbalanced): (@1% THD) 288 mW RMS 300Ω; 7.3 W RMS 8Ω
• Output power (balanced): (@1% THD) 1.15 W RMS 300Ω; 18W RMS 8Ω
• Output impedance: 0.042Ω
• Stereo separation: 9 V RMS 300Ω -138dB
• Dimensions: 5.2cm (H) 23.5cm (W) 23.8cm (D)

First Impressions

I was able to spend a little time with the Hugo TT 2 and well I explain it like this:

Normally differences between Dacs are small, though those small amounts compared to my D90 and Bifrost 2, made all the difference for me. So (as an example) a 10% difference between the TT 2 and my D90/Bifrost 2, though that 10% equals quite a bit of an Improvement for me.

Regarding the unit as a whole, the amp section of the TT 2 in combination with the Dac, really is amazing. It’s more on the ‘neutral’ side, though for me specifically it adds a certain amount of ‘life’ or ‘reality’ to the music, plus the absolutely insane amount of detail. The great sense of space, air, positioning of instruments/imaging, separation, stage, dynamics, and on some tracks (especially live recordings) the ability to hear the room or space the music was being played in(as it transports you ‘there’).

This is what I took away from The TT 2 and why it has impressed me so much. The TT 2 was ‘game changing’ for me. As I never thought that small little percentage of difference, would equate to such a ‘significant’ improvement for myself. Plus I have found that I ‘Really’ like the ‘house sound’ of Chord products! I thought I had my endgame amps and dacs, I was wrong, the TT 2 takes it to the next level and for myself it is ‘exactly’ what I have been ‘looking’ for. I have no idea how, but eventually I really want the Hugo TT 2 in my system. For me it truly is THAT Good!

Sound

Smooth and detailed are the words that come to mind when describing the sound of the Hugo TT 2. Amazing detail yet it is smooth in it’s presentation, without adding any harshness or sibilance to the music. The custom FPGA chip designed by @Rob Watts in the Hugo TT 2, is more resolving and smooth. In comparison to the AKM 4499 chip in my Topping D 90. This amongst itself is impressive as AKM chips in general, have a wonderful “velvety” sound signature to them. In my opinion this is bested by the custom FPGA chip in the Hugo TT 2.

When using the Hugo TT 2 in it’s intended all in one form. It offers a very engaging yet pleasant sound. This did not change with all of the headphones I tried, including the Focal Elex, and Elegia. The HifiMan Ananda’s all the way to my Sennheiser HD600’s. The presentation the TT2 offers remains engaging and pleasant throughout. As I mentioned in my ‘first impressions’ the Chord Hugo TT 2 has a great sense of space, air, positioning of instruments/imaging, separation, stage, dynamics, and on some tracks (especially live recordings) the ability to hear the room or space the music was being played in(as it transports you ‘there’). This ability of the TT 2 to convey the sense of space, along with the imaging capabilities, is unlike any other I have currently heard! It’s almost as if I am able to hear around the notes, as it gives you a 3D(being there) presentation.

The Dac portion of the Hugo TT 2 paired extremely well with my SPL Phonitor XE amp. Also paired very well with my Hagerman Audio Labs “Tuba” tube amplifier. Though the Dac portion of the Hugo TT 2 pairs very well with many of my amps. I still prefer to use the Hugo TT 2 in its intended, all in one form factor. Which in my opinion yields the best possible sound. As another forum regular mentions, adding an external amplifier to the chain will only increase noise, however this was not ‘audible’ with the SPL Phonitor XE amplifier.

The Dac portion alone does a phenomenal job of extracting and relaying incredible amounts of detail. Timbre is not quite as natural as other Dacs, As the smoothness of the FPGA chip, slightly takes away from a completely natural sound. Though this does not take away from the pure engagement and enjoyment of this particular Dac.

The amp portion is very competent in its performance, It is highly resolving, excels in terms of its raw detail and micro-dynamic resolution. I felt nothing was gained in pairing the TT 2 with my Phonitor XE amp. Using the Hugo TT 2 in it’s intended all in one form, will yield amazing performance for all headphones with the possible exception of all but the most demanding headphones such as the notoriously hard to drive HifiMan Susvara’s.

Though the Hugo TT 2 does offer numerous filter and crossfeed settings. I kept both of these in their default settings, incisive neutral for the filter and crossfeed set to off for the purposes of this review. I have not tried any other filter settings nor any of the cross feed on settings. Due to this I cannot speak to how the use of the different filters or crossfeed settings affect the sound.

Summary

I wasn’t sure if I was going to like the Hugo TT 2, as I thought to myself how much better could a $5500+ Dac actually be? As I mentioned in my initial impressions, when you reach a certain level, the differences in Dacs is not huge, you are talking about small percentages and signatures. However the Chord Hugo TT 2 has given me the best listening experience I have ever had and I do mean experience, as this is more than just listening to the music. Chord Electronics makes some absolutely phenomenal equipment. I highly recommend you check them out, especially if given the opportunity to audition some of the products in your own system.

15 Likes

Excellent review, Jeremy.

I think you’ve nailed what the TT2 does so well.

Well done, Sir.

4 Likes

Terrific review Jeremy! I’ve been eyeing the TT2 and I think that you’ve raised my desire to almost “uncontrollable” levels! I’ll tell my wallet to blame it on you! Lol

Truly enjoyed the way you’ve structured your review. One can literally find most of the information if not all about the TT2 in your write-up.

Well done!!!

6 Likes