DAC Amp Suggestions

Hi fellow members,

after realizing, my planned Bottlehead Crack OTL build is out of reach for the next months,
because my buddy got a newborn little son(Felix) and I don´t want to go on his nerves… he is fit with souldering and has all the stuff to do a build like this… also a garage with all the tools for the wooden box… has many ideas and wanted to do the build…

I look for alternatives.

The Eddie Current jr is not available, at the moment. Not sure what it goes for, if it ever comes back.

the Hagerman audio labs “Tuba” is at 649$ plus 100 for the walnut sidepanels + shipping and taxes

I still want an OTL and searched for euopean builders.
Not long time ago, I found reviews about Feliks Audio products http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php
The Feliks Audio “Echo” for 499 Euro with free shipping, is in my budget and available
The Feliks Audio “Espressivo Mark II” for 799 Euro would be a stretch, after my RME ADI 2 right now.

Is anyone firm with Feliks Audio products? and has a recommandation for me?

for now I have these DACs:
SMSL SU-8 - will have to go
RME ADI 2 fs (v2) - a week here, so still new toy syndrome
ifi xDSD - my every day carry and I love the sound out of this little unit

my stationary Amp ist still the THX AAA 789 with RCA passtrough for the Tube Amp
I plan to get the SPL Phonitor Xe end of 2020/start 2021
for now I am not sure, if I should keep the 789 or replace it with the Rupert Neve RNHP - can get it for 539€

my current headphones in use are
Focal Elegia - gets most use of all, at the office and at home on the sofa
Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro - want to keep it for looks, build, comfort and hope the tube helps
Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm - not really in use - more a closed back backup, if my wife would need some isolation
Sennheiser HD 660s - gets sold and want the HD600 back
Sennheiser 58x - my wifes

planned for the next weeks - the Hifiman Ananda
planned for mid 2020 . the ZMF Aeolus or Auteur - the main reason for the “Tube amp plan”

the second reason is,
my DACs and the amp are nice for what they are, but want to get into the tubiness

I would highly appreciate some ideas
i am not sure about when I will pull the trigger - depends a bit, if the Ananda deal gets real or not

you did realize the funny fact my buddy´s son Felix has a similar name… Feliks audio?

4 Likes