Dan Clark Audio Stealth - Flagship Closed-Back Headphones

I do have to say - Dan knocks it out of the park with i dustrial design and confort. These things are like clouds on your head and can be listened to for hiurs comfortably.

1 Like

Pillows for ears. On all closed backs no sound pressure or fatigue. Great job by Dan.

3 Likes

Cheers.

10 Likes

So, if I pick up a pair for my recording duties and I want the best performance out of them how much power should I be looking for in an amp? According to the video above it wants a big one, but no numbers were given. Also, that wooden stand in the video above makes me drool. What is it?

1 Like

@Bearcat_Sandor when we live stream with Dan, we can ask him for those numbers. It’s more about current delivery than overall power. This will be something we discuss more with Dan.

5 Likes

We will be live streaming with Dan Clark this Thursday December 9th, and would love to have as many of you as possible join us to get to know Dan and ask any questions about the Stealth or his other headphones. I created a survey on my YouTube for the time we can live stream on the TSAV YouTube Channel. I would like to get more feedback on what time would be best for you guys to join! Let me know.

5 Likes

Look forward to it and I’ll be tuning in whatever time you decide. I’ve got a 3 year old, so I’m really not the boss anymore. :wink:

Thanks Marcello.

1 Like

I have a 3 year old too! So I know exactly what you mean lol.

1 Like

Heck my girls, 40 and 36 are out of the house have been since their college days and when they are around my home, I’m still not the boss, but at least they have to go back to their homes. LOL

6 Likes

fantastic work as usual Marcello

3 Likes

Hello friends! We will be having a special live stream tonight 12/9/21 at 6 pm Pacific with Dan Clark presented by TSAV’s YouTube channel and would love to see you there with us to discuss the Stealth headphones, tech, music, life, synergy, and take some questions from the live chat! See you tonight!

7 Likes

That was a really good interview. Irrespective of whether you like or dislike his headphones, it’s really interesting to hear a designer talk about their creative process.

I’ve never heard a DCA headphone, but I’ll be in LA in January, so I’ll have to go to Source AV to try them out.

4 Likes

Great to hear so many details from Dan about how his headphones come to life.
Wonderful and useful interview.

2 Likes

I think I could find my dream combo … best sound quality available and 100% free to move and use where I want as I want !!!

M17, cleaning pad, Dock, Sony’s Remote Control, Sennheiser IE 900, 2 x (USB-A+1Tb micro SD)+Voltmeter, 1m20 balanced Cable with DCA Connectors, USB-C to 5.5mm/2.1mm adapter, ddHifi 2.5mm DAC (for my Galaxy Z fold 3 & IE 900), some USB-C to USB-A or USB-C cables and connectors, 2Tb SSD Samsung, THE MONSTER DCA Stealth and a rather convenient Dignis case…
I am still waiting for 12V4.2A 25000 mha powerbank… And, not on the picture, a galaxy Z Fold 3 as Wifi access point for M17, movie player (via a BT-LDAC to M17 connection for sound without noticeable lag), Internet, games,… and stuff for my real job (needs mainly office 365) !

10 Likes

I’m loving the DCA Stealth! But I have a question about amplification.

I currently use the Stealth with a dCS Bartok headphone amp (crazy pandemic purchase). It works fine, but I’m pushing the volume levels at times, approaching the limits of the Bartok (at the highest setting). I can’t help but wonder if a higher power amp could help. I don’t know to what degree the Bartok is not helping the Stealth reach its potential.

The tradeoff would be to have to add a cable to the chain, to not run directly off of the Bartok.

Any advice on how to think this through? I’m open to buying a new amp, but I’d like to understand if there’s a potential or likely advantage with the Stealth.

1 Like

incredibly sweet pics : )

4 Likes

I would say a good test to do is to try to play Cradle to the grave from Max Richter (hires), and if it’s not clipping at all at a realistic volume level between 55" to 1’15" with low and ultra low frequencies => it probably means your amp can move properly, at his best, the Headphone and provide enough juice for such low impedance and low sensitivity headphone (same with the HEDDphone One).
Most of my powerful daps and portable amps can’t do it at all.
The best results, I could get with my DCA Stealth, were with the monolith THX887 (2x6W at 32 ohms and 2x8W at 16 ohms) and the FIIO M17, with an iFi iPower Elite DC 12V/4A input, in “enhanced headphone mode”, they both manage to provide enough juice to move the DCA Stealth properly (the FIIO M17 has to be set between 80 and 110 / 120 volume level).
I would say, virtually, clipping never comes from the DCA Stealth itself, but only from a lack of available juice from the amps.

I know most people don’t imagine this, but, the most difficult for headphone amps are low impedance coupled to a rather low sensitivity headphones, high impedance with a good sensitivity (over 100db/mw) headphones can be moved properly quite easily, they, usually, don’t really need a lot of juice.

Edit: I just had a look the the dCS Bartok specs … I think, it’s almost impossible with a 6V XLR output to move properly at a realistic sound level the DCA Stealth… It should really clip the “Cradle to the grave” track at a low volume level (and some other tracks too from that album (Hostiles)

3 Likes

Thank you, technically, each picture was made with something like 15 photos stacked together and some fast little noise cleaning in PSCC.

2 Likes

Stealth demands a lot of current, so if the Bartok in balanced mode isn’t cutting it you’ll need a pre amp.
Since you’ve got a great DAC in the Bartok I would recommend the Pass Labs HPA 1. It would solve all your problems. It has a pre amp option as well. 3500 USD though. :frowning:
Also I gotta tell you how surprised I am how current hungry the STEALTH are. :worried:

Yes, I’m not quite sure that came across in my research.