DAP Recommendation ($500-$800)

Sorry my bad buddy, I did think it had WiFi connection but…

“Once you turn it on, you start to get a taste for how Cayin can deliver a device like this under $500. The screen is fairly low resolution, and while it has Bluetooth support, it doesn’t have WiFi, and does not support the installation of any external apps. So when I say “pure player,” I mean pure player. Out of the box, this is a device for you to copy your songs onto, and then listen to them with headphones”

#Bloom Audio

So yeah it seems to be the N6ii with it’s exchangeable modules/motherboards if you want connectivity, power and more lol.

2 Likes

No problem, I think our last couple of posts shows how confusing it is.

So @switzer145 , I haven’t heard the Cayin N3Pro myself, but it is on my own shortlist that I’m researching for my own upcoming purchase. I like the fact that it gives you the option of switching between solid state and tube to give you different sound signatures, and it has been getting good reviews. Members of this forum are very enthusiastic about other Cayin models they own. But you need to think about whether it will be a nuisance to have to use your phone in combination with the DAP if you want to use Amazon HD.

2 Likes

Yes, as I mentioned simplicity is quite important to me. I am still considering whether to go basic and get a Walkman or an IPod Touch or whether to still keep looking for a more audiophile solution with better sound. (part of this is me wondering whether I am somewhat deluding myself because I am 76 (a young 76), but with 76-year-old hearing. But as I am enjoying and getting so much pleasure from the music since I started buying quality headphones six months ago, I’m going to assume I am getting my money’s worth). So, again, any recommendations would be appreciated. Thanks all.

3 Likes

I have an iPod Touch and it won’t drive your Aeolus. I’ve been using it to burn in my Verite overnight and even on full volume, it’s at comfortable listening levels. You’d need a portable DAC/amp to drive “difficult” headphones, with the added benefit that the sound would also be better. I use a now-discontinued Oppo DAC/amp and it’s night and day, even with easy to drive headphones like the Focal Stellia. So I’m guessing iPod Touch is off your list because you’d need 2 devices connected by multiple Apple-approved cables/adapters.

If you scroll to the bottom of this post by @antroid , you’ll see a really useful table of DAPs that he’s compared. Or if you want to live dangerously, read that post in full, because you may realize that the Sony NW-ZX507 is what you need. It’s more than your budget but maybe there will be a good Black Friday price.

1 Like

I’ve been hearing good things about the Cayin N3 Pro. It may be of interest to you.

2 Likes

LOL, if you go up a couple of posts, we discounted it because it doesn’t meet his need for simplicity when streaming. But I agree, I’ve been hearing a lot of good things about its sound and it’s definitely on my own list.

2 Likes

PaisleyUnderground: Thanks for your response. I need to be a bit more specific. First, when I walk I just use a Koss Porta Pro (good sound, light weight) and for that I don’t need any amplification and wouldn’t think a sophisticated device would be necessary. But, secondly, when I’m home I would use that device, as well as my iPad and Mac Air. In the last six months I have bought, rather impulsively I guess, the Hifiman 4s, Sennheiser 58 Jubillee and Grado 80e, all of which I like very much and which don’t really need any special amplification. But then I bought the Ananda and expect in the relatively near future to purchase the Aeolus and Grado RS2e. When I make those acquisitions I expect to also purchase a good quality amp and dac combination previously recommended in this forum. So with respect to the purchase of a portable device Now, I am looking for a simple, portable dap easy to operate with a warmIsh sound, but one that when I use it at home will work well with a quality amp and dac to drive these headphone upgrades.
Sorry if I have made this complicated, and I do appreciate your recommendations.

2 Likes

One more basic question: would it be wiser to spend more money on a higher quality dap or spend the higher amount of money on a higher quality amp/dac? Where would you get more bang for the buck?

1 Like

Would someone be able to tell me the pros and cons of the following: I was going to buy an amp/dac recommended in this forum (the Schiit Lyr/ Modius) to drive my high end headphones. What if instead I purchased a high-end dap (Astell and Kern?) with built-in amplifiers that could also drive high end headphones? Aside from the price, would that make sense? Any downside? Significant sound difference? Thanks.

Future proofing, if you want or rely on apps then long term support is limited with Dap’s where as Dac/Amps will always be just that…High end Daps like the Luxury Precision P6 will perform as well as most mid tier desk top set ups Hugo 2 or Schitt BF2/Amp combo etc…I guess it’s horses for courses :man_shrugging:

2 Likes