Best android Dap in the market today

Hi,
I have a requirement where I do need to use a streaming service. Which would the best Dap sonically that is android based. I have a Kann Cube but it does not support my app in its open app service. I have raised a request with them but I have not heard back.
I would like to be able to carry the DAP in my pocket. I loved the SP1000M, but there I will have the same problem of the app not being supported at this time. Is there any DAP sonically close to SP1000M but android based?

1 Like

I just found a great deal on a Pioneer XDP-300R - it should be arriving today. Itā€™s an older model, but based on everything Iā€™ve read, it seems to fully function like an Android device. Iā€™ll report back after Iā€™ve had a chance to listen.

1 Like

The XDP-300r is Android based, and itā€™s a great DAP. Itā€™s only real weakness is poor battery life when itā€™s being used for WiFi streaming

5 Likes

You heard my Cayin N6II DAP at the meetā€¦it is a fully Android system with the benefits of a modular DAC/amp systemā€¦

Outside of that A&K SR 15 ā€œNormaā€ is really goodā€¦next I would look at the Hiby and or Fiio stuff @antdroid did a bunch of comparisons I believe he really likes the new Fiio proā€¦canā€™t remember the model nameā€¦

I think the Fiio/Cayin/maybe the Hiby are fully app store supportedā€¦the rest I think you need to side load the apps which can be a pain when new updates come outā€¦

6 Likes

The Cayin N6ii is excellentā€¦great battery life, great sound and changeable amp/dac modules.

2 Likes

Iā€™m not sure about ā€˜bestā€™, but Iā€™ve really been impressed with the ibasso Dx220. I normally donā€™t like to talk about source products ā€˜fixingā€™ headphone gear but the Dx220 has been the closest thing to that for a number of IEMs Iā€™m not completely thrilled with. The Drop X Zeus for example went from being slightly annoying in the treble to really well defined and resolving. Again, itā€™s not a normal expectation for me, and for many products I think youā€™d be better off just buying headphone equipment that suits your preferences over getting a DAP that ā€˜fixesā€™ what you have. Maybe thatā€™s why Iā€™m so impressed haha.

7 Likes

I was just looking at this one. I may have to stop hanging around this site, as Iā€™ve gone from not having a DAP (and thinking I didnā€™t need one) to buying the Pioneer mentioned above to thinking I might just need two DAPs - all in the span of 3 days. :smiley:

7 Likes

Itā€™s the hobby haha. I now have the same feeling!

5 Likes

Im not a fan of any Fiio DAP. :slight_smile:

My current DAP of choice is the DX160 for price to performance, and its my daily use player. It has some issues with lag occasionally as does most DAPs in this price range and daps from iBasso in general. The Hiby R5 is my other DAP and its fast but doesnt quite have the resolution that the DX160 does, and is also the same price. I love itā€™s size and speed and looks.

The DX220 is a nice player if you dont mind the bigger size and heft.

10 Likes

I stand corrected :grin: I was mixing up the Hiby with the Fiio I thinkā€¦

1 Like

I also have the Onkyo X1A. The problem is that they never updated the Android version. The problem that poses for me is the the new version of the app i want to use is no longer compatible with that version. So the Onko and Pioneers are not an option anymore for me.

3 Likes

Yes, N6ii and SP1000M are currently at the top of my list. I wanted to make sure I am not missing out on any other DAP that i am not aware of.

3 Likes

I just checked Onkyo has discontinued its DAP line.

1 Like

Hiby R8 is coming out. Kind of interesting.

2 Likes

I love mine. But duty do agree that it has a poor battery life.

1 Like

Why donā€™t you like the Fiio Daps?
I have the M11 and think it is great.

I have the r6 pro and really like it. Had the features and price I was looking for; wanted an Android player with google play store so I could easily load the apps I wanted. Wanted something with 4.4mm balanced and less than $700 that I could use for travel. Anyway, it met all that so took a chance and so far loving it. I considered the Fiio M11 but no google play store (donā€™t want to side load) and the iBasso DX220 (cost was outside the range Iā€™d prefer), also was considering that new Sony that I canā€™t remember the part number of, but itā€™s going to be outside the price range and wasnā€™t available yet. All seem like good players, just went with the one that checked the boxes I wanted.

5 Likes

I do want the purple Hibyā€¦

1 Like

I think the M11 is a great value. My main issues with it were that it was a tad noisy, which is a problem with all the Fiio DAPs (except the M11 Pro apparently) when using ultra sensitive mulit-BA iems. The other issue was I found the low end bass response to be a little uncontrolled versus the DAPs I had comparing to it at the time (Pioneer XDP-300R and A&K SR15 ā€“ both of which cost more).

I havent tried the M11 Pro yet but Iā€™ve heard good things. They are about to make a new announcement of products, and probably a DAP this weekend!

Previous Fiio DAPs like the X-series and budget M series were super slow and laggy and had other issues, like noisy output.

3 Likes

Just playing with my new Pioneer XDP-300R. I transferred some CD rips (16/44.1), but when I play them the native music player app lists PCM 48MHz next to FLAC 16 bit - is the player resampling the files?

This is an older player with Android 5 - I wonder if there isnā€™t a way to get bit perfect playback from either files or streaming service apps?