Donald North Audio (DNA)

Answering my own question. I found this picture on their website.

8 Likes

You all know that you should take those covers off before you turn on your tube amps, yes?

1 Like

Thereā€™s a reason that Tolkienā€™s original version of Sauron was called Tevildo, The Prince of Cats. :grin:

1 Like

Sell the cats! Buy more tubes!

2 Likes

Glad you sharing the information around save me the private messages from everyone.

Of course, cover off before listening and put it back on after 10 minutes of powering off. Tubes only slightly warm or room temperature after 10 minutes with the Psvane Acme, stock Psvane need about 15 minutes I already posted the images of the temperature on Headfi thread.

1 Like

A Starlett was just posted for sale:

9 Likes

Picked up a EML Mesh 5U4G that should be delivered on Friday. Anyone have any experience with these?

1 Like

Havenā€™t heard one, but when I discussed regulators with Donald, it was his favorite at the time.

1 Like

Oh good to know. Hopefully it works out then.

Thatā€™s what Iā€™ve been running, and I really like it. I thought I wouldnā€™t, as Iā€™ve heard it described as warm, and thatā€™s not a signature I lean toward, but I actually donā€™t find it to be too warm at all. I was sure Iā€™d be running my Philips Miniwatt GZ34 metal base (which was my hands-down fave on my Woo WA5-LE), but I keep putting the EML 5U4G mesh in.

I plan on trying to get my hands on an Elrog 5U4G once one becomes available.

8 Likes

Ok nice. Yeah Iā€™m interested in those too. Iā€™ll be interested in your thoughts.
I appreciate your input!

1 Like

Yes. I really like the EMLs with Linlai E-2A3s on my Stellaris Special, but not as much with the stock Psvane 2A3s (source: HQPlayer DSD256>Holo Spring 2 KTE; headphones: ZMF Atrium LTD koa).

2 Likes

Thank you for the info. Itā€™s much appreciated. Hopefully itā€™ll be a good match for me.
Iā€™d really like to upgrade to the stellaris one day, if people feel itā€™s worth the jump over the stratus v4.

The Stellaris is just soo pretty. :grinning:

2 Likes

My #2 Stellaris (#1 is a Special at our special shore place) with RCA JAN 5U4G, Sylvania 6BK7B, Takatsuki TA-2A3 is very, very pretty to the ears, itā€™s hard to do anything else besides listening to it.

2 Likes

The Stellaris is an amazing headphone amplifier. It is out of my price range though,
so I ordered a Starlett which I should be receiving in early 2023.

Iā€™m glad that you are enjoying both of your Stellaris headphone amplifiers!

5 Likes

The Starlett is an entry level DNA amp but the sound it produces with all dynamic headphones I tried thus far makes it a great end game amp imo. One of my favorite amps.

5 Likes

Update January 6Th, 2023: I spoke with Donald North today in regard to the status of my DNA Starlett,
and he said that my Starlett may be ready by July of
2023. This means that it will have taken 18 months to have the Starlett built. That is if it is indeed ready by then.

On the positive side, I have moved up in the que from number 22 to 14, and Donald said that it is possible that delivery may happen earlier.

At this point I feel that I have waited for a year, so I might as well wait another six months. Just wanted to let anyone who is considering purchasing a DNA headphone amplifier know that there is a long wait;
even longer than usual, courtesy of Covid related parts delays. So if you want a DNA headphone amplifier you should consider getting on Donaldā€™s waiting list as soon as possible.

Earlierā€¦

Donald was kind enough to let me demo a prototype Starlett for a month back in 2021 and I liked it so much with my HD6XX and HD600ā€™s that I decided to later order one. Mine should have been delivered last month, but due to Covid and other related delays, delivery has been pushed back by a few months.

I do agree that the Starlett is an end game headphone amplifier for higher impedance dynamic headphones.

While I wait for my Starlett, I will enjoy a NITSCH Piety headphone amplifier that I purchased from CEE TEE recently. Thus far very impressed with this little gem. IMHO, the performance for $149 is unheard of.

7 Likes

lol - I see what you did there :laughing:

2 Likes

The wait is finally over! Iā€™ve joined Team Blue today! Donald delivered my Stratus in person in the early afternoon, and was such a cool and laid back guy. Good to see and meet the people behind the brands. Him, Zach from ZMF, and Justin from Ampsandsound have all been such great people to talk to and work with. Theyā€™re as good as the products they sell, which is rare nowadays.

I couldnā€™t help myself, and hooked it up at work to try. Even on my basic budget work setup (iFi Zen stack) with the Atticus it sounded sublime. Once I got home Iā€™ve spent the entire night trying all my headphones and test tracks. Iā€™m really impressed so far. The Atrium/Stratus combo in particular really rocks. I wonā€™t try to give any meaningful impressions, just sharing my excitement with the new toy. Iā€™m curious about how much volume knob ZMF owners can use on the IEC output? Running RCA from my Holo Cyan to the Stratus, and even on low gain Iā€™m only at 2 on the knob. Iā€™m used to it with my Ampsandsound gear, but I was hoping Iā€™d have more knob to play with. I guess we all want more knobā€¦

17 Likes