Focal Clear amp suggestion

only 1 lyr 3 B-stock left for $449…this is what I got…excellent for clears etc…

1 Like

Such temptation… Thank you!

Maybe a Topping A90? I heard its warmer than thx but still a linear amp.

2 Likes

Hi guys, thanks for the feedback. I finally pulled the trigger on the CTH amp. I plan to buy the Focal Arche at some point, but right now it is too much for my wallet. This was actually my first post and I did not wanted to open a new post just asking the same question as the OP, so, I am srry if I added “noise” to the original topic. Thanks guys!

4 Likes

I recommend plugging it in playing music before bed with the volume knob set to around 10 o’clock leaving it to run overnight. Maybe plug headphones in just to make sure it’s working. The electro harmonics tube needs breaking in for a good 50 hours. Had all sorts of issues the first week listening. Was great afterwards. Enjoy and congrats on the new amp.

3 Likes

Yes, agreed - do burn in the tube! And be sure to follow the instructions about turning off the amp as well as turning down the volume before unplugging headphones and switching sources.

3 Likes

The ECP T4 I had a few months back was one of the best pairings I ever heard…excellent a 2K parafeed amp with some exceptional Lundorf outout transformers, the lowest resistance of any non OTL Amp…superlative performance…

If you want to go right to the top here ya go…other less expensive good solutuons, the TUBA, LYR 3, etc…but this is really a great one for sure.

Alex

1 Like

And the tubes don’t cost an arm and a leg.

2 Likes

Add the Burson Soloist 3XP for the clears. Fantastic combo for solid-state imo!

3 Likes

Preferences have shifted to Feliks amps at the moment. Going to recommend the Elise MKII. Clears to me are already the most dynamic I’ve ever heard music on the Echo alone. Amazing synergy with Focal.

7 Likes

The clears sound great with my Phonitor E.

1 Like

Are you referring to specific amp, a level of quality or maybe a specific amp technology? Which one('s) are you using it with if you actually have a Clear?

I’m considering this model as well! Would be my first tube amp, annoying to import though… Which amp did you use before?

I like the Rupert Neve Designs RNHP (especially after upgrading the power supply) with the Focal Clear (more so with the MG). It’s very transparent to source, as the Focal Clear are. If you can connect it balanced, this is my preferred method. Even though the amp is SE the balanced inputs seem to sound better to my ears.

3 Likes

Well, I do actually own a set of clears. I’ve used them on a Phonitor e, a THX 789 an Atom and a Matrix Element I. I found that the delta between the amps (sharper on the, THX, less detailed and dynamic on the Atom, etc) larger on the Clears than on other headphones like Verites or even the Hifiman Arya. But that could be just me…

3 Likes

RNHP is supposed to be a good match foe Clears. But it can’t power less sensitive headphones.

2 Likes

Busron Soloist also sounds great with them from my experience. Highly recommend it!

2 Likes

Schiit Mjolnir 2, Lyr3 (briefly), Meridian Prime DAC/HA, Beyerdynamic A20, Creek OBH-11.

I bought the Encore first, and added the Kenzie. The Kenzie replaced the MJ2.

Tubes are fairly easy to get, and are not expensive. I bought the second one because I liked the first one so well, and tube interchangeability was a plus. Build quality is excellent.

I also have a Headamp GSX-mini solid state. The Kenzies don’t have a lot of output power, so keep that in mind with respect to your headphone pairing.

1 Like

Ahh, in reverse… most seem to get the OG frist and then the Kenzie. Sticking to low Impedance models, thought so myself.
Currently using a Questyle twelve, which I enjoy, but no comparison other then the if micro BL. Don’t even know if an Encore adds “enough” colour to my situation. Importing to Austria without pre listening, will see…

2 Likes

The Kenzie is for the office system. It was one of Justin’s spares. It’s one of his earlier units.

1 Like