Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

The essence of the Rebel is that it’s so overbuilt that it never needs to strain in real world use. It thereby delivers full, rich, transparent, high-quality Class A sound. The designers didn’t attempt to win a spec war, and thereby maximized its output quality.

My Lyr 3 is physically half the size the Rebel and delivers a lot more power (9 wpc / 16 ohms vs. 0.95 W / 32 ohms). However, the Lyr doesn’t deliver the staging or nuances or coherence of the Rebel, even when run on the LISST. The Lyr always comes across as a bit hot and sizzling soundwise.

2 Likes

I’d be interested in where you landed with EQ on the OG Clear. I’ve been experimenting for months but always seem to end up liking Oratory’s Harman preset the best (but not perfect).

1 Like

Sure, I’ll share you my EQ here. Keep in mind that it’s suited to my taste and you might need to adjust it. For me, It corrects the forward upper mids, which Im not a fan, and gives it the treble extension that I was missing. Also, you gotta consider that I listen to low/normal volume levels and people who listen louder may find this bright or sharp. Give it a try anyways :wink:

There are 12 bands but if you are limited to 10, just don’t use the ones on 3136hz and 200hz

Also, I use a pre gain of -7,5 db to avoid any clipping.

Here are the pics from the Qudelix 5k

4 Likes

Hi i was wondering if any one can suggest a good headband replacement? I want to try and build a high end Bluetooth reciver into one, but think it best not to pull apart the original one.

Moving the conversation to the Clear thread…

Take a look at @Resolve’s post on the main headphones dot com website about pad rolling.

3 Likes

I bought the Dekoni Velour Solid recommended by Resolve to use with Focal Clear OG’s. To my ears, the result was bloated and overpowering bass–I sent them right back to Amazon. Chacun a son gout…

I don’t disagree, but this is both amp and taste dependent. I’ve run those Dekoni pads happily on leaner amps, but find them too warm and bloated on others. My solution is to turn down the lower midrange with an EQ to retain the beneficial deep bass. The Clear typically struggles with deep bass.

1 Like