Focal Clear Open-back Headphones - Official Thread

Welcome.

In that price range I’d pick the iFi ZenDAC V2. It has a warmish DAC and an integrated balanced amp. The warmth offsets the Clear’s brightness and sharp edges. The ZenDAC also has a bass boost feature if you find the Clear is still too bright or want more bass.

Please say more about your favored tone: bright, neutral, or warm.

1 Like

If you’re willing to go used, you can probably get a Chord Mojo (original - not 2) for around that on the used market. Incredible DAC/amp.

1 Like

To be honest this is my first open back hifi headphones. I mostly had the Bluetooth headphones like momentum 3, b&w px, v modas. I saw the clear was on sale and ordered it( will soon be delivered). I returned the px8 and will mostly return the focal bathys. I mostly prefer the slight warm sound I guess since I am used to that in my momentum 3. I have came across topping dx 3 +, schiit stack and some of the others. Thank you for suggesting the zen dac

1 Like

Go you think it will go best along with focal clear OGs

1 Like

Never heard the OG mojo (I have the mojo2) but had the OG clear for some time and I really enjoyed it. I think it’ll work pretty well. The mojo leans warmer and the Clear should do well with it.

1 Like

I have one more concern. I ordered zen dac V2 and it has 4.4 mm balanced. Does focal clear comes with such a cable or is it 3.5mm and I need to get an adopter for it?.

The Clear is very easy to drive, so a balanced setup is nice but not essential IMO. The Headphones.com page indicates the Clear continues to ship with an XLR-4 connector, not a 4.4mm connector:

So yes, you’ll need an adapter or a different cable.

We often recommend the Hart modular cable system. It’s shorter than the factory cable (great for travel or office desk use), and has interchangeable connectors:

3 Likes

This is always a matter of personal taste, but I used the old Mojo with the Focal Utopia (the Clear’s big brother, but very similar in sound signature) and thought it was a fantastic pairing. As a matter of fact, I still have that Mojo and use it every once in a while.

1 Like

Alright thanks. So I can just use the 6.3mm single ended right?

Yes. Both options work.

Any ideas when measurements might be made available from the new B&K rig?

1 Like

Still enjoying my Clear OG, my most used headphone. Finding the perfect backup amp when not on tubes ain’t easy :laughing:
These 3 are all different. iFi Zen Stack has the most character and does its iFi thing with the sound, Diablo is the smoothest, relaxed and plays differently than Zen, Rebelamp is the most dynamic. And as Clear already is very dynamic the Rebelamp pairing is one h :smiling_imp: ll of a ride.
Diablo was more dynamic at medium gain than on low and medium was more of the sweet spot soundwise, but not much volume travel when using the Clear sadly.
The balanced 4,4mm cable is ivipQ 98.

8 Likes

Such a good morning. And one of my favourite pairings for Clear OG. ZDT Jr adds even more dynamics to the Clear sound, so watch your ears.

iFi Zen Stream → Hegel HD12 - > Eddie Current ZDT Jr - Focal Clear

5 Likes

Hello everyone, I’m looking for a piece of advice on a good amp pairing for OG Clear in the $400-1000 price range.

I currently have an SMSL SP200 and to my ears it sounds too clinical and slightly too bright with the Clear. I also keep getting a feeling that it’s lacking base, even if I EQ it adding a few db bass shelf.

I’d appreciate something that is warmer, to liven up the lower end of the spectrum. Ideally this new amp should also help expanding a rather narrow soundstage.

Not sure I’m ready to go with the tubes, but both solid state and tube options are welcome.

1 Like

First, what is your DAC?

Second, the SMSL SP200 is also known as the THX AAA 888. Per my old THX AAA 789, this is likely one of the worst possible pairings for the Clear. The Clear is bright and has very defined edges. The family of THX AAA amps are bright, have limited bass, and emphasize edge definition.

Clinical and bright indeed. Would you like some broken glass in your cup of ice?

To warm up the Clear, I recommend iFi’s DACs and amps (several models and price points), the warmer Schiit amps (e.g., Lyr or Jotenheim) and DACs (e.g., Modi Multibit 2 or Bifrost 2/64), and the RebelAmp.

Soundstage is a often a function of the driver shape and may not be changeable. However, you might find an add-on spatializer useful (or find it to sound fake).

3 Likes

First, what is your DAC?

SMSL Sanskrit 10th

To warm up the Clear, I recommend iFi’s DACs and amps (several models and price points), the warmer Schiit amps (e.g., Lyr or Jotenheim) and DACs (e.g., Modi Multibit 2 or Bifrost 2/64), and the RebelAmp.

I keep an eye on RebelAmp since my HE6se2 adventure. Nice that it’s a good pairing with the Clear as well.

Which iFi amp or combo should I look into with <$1000?

Soundstage is a often a function of the driver shape and may not be changeable. However, you might find an add-on spatializer useful (or find it to sound fake).

I tried software spatializers before and they do sound fake. Soundstaging varies from amp to amp though, e.g. with my Beyerdynamic headphones the SMSL combo sounded much bigger and better defined than my old Dragonfly Red dongle. I don’t notice such a difference between them with the Clear though.

It has an AKM 4493 – that’s a middle-of-the-road and very standard delta sigma DAC chipset. To my ears it’s neutral, and neither warm nor bright. Consider multibit as an alternative and often warmer sound profile.

I have a <$200 iFi ZenDAC in a secondary system, but that’s below your price range. It’s warm or at least doesn’t emphasize treble, and has a bass boost function suitable for the Clear or the HD 600. IMO the ZenDAC pairs well with the OG Clear but doesn’t get the most (detail/layering/depth) from the headphones.

iFi has several models ranging into the thousands of dollars, but I’m not experienced with all of them. I suggest looking at reviews and the iFi threads. The iDSD Diablo and NEO iDSD are in your price range.

The Clear behaves like the Clear. In my experience Focal headphones just don’t have wide soundstages. They are great at dynamics, clarity, and localization but not width.

2 Likes

As @generic recommended as an option, check out the Rebelamp. It should drive the Clear without issue and will add some body and warmth; staging is good too. Rebelamp - join the Rebellion!

2 Likes

It WILL drive the Clear…easily…and the HD 800 S easily…and…

I have both.

2 Likes

I would 2nd the Schiit amps as well, plus they are somewhat less expensive (if buying new) than the Rebel. The Jot 2 may be somewhat more versatile if used with 4 pin XLR headphone cabling, as it can deliver more power than the Rebel amp.

Having said that, the Clears are very efficient, and can be driven with almost anything. Plus they can sound really fantastic, especially with a bit warmer sounding DAC/amp combo! :+1: :smile:

Good choices either way.

1 Like