Focal Utopia 2022 - Dynamic Driver Over-Ear Open-Back Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

Here are the Focal Utopia 2022 measurements done on the GRAS 43AG with KB5000 pinna:

I will post the comparison to the OG Utopia shortly.

You can think of the 2022 Utopia as being extremely similar acoustically to the original, just slightly warmer. So if you found the original Utopia to be a bit too bright, the Utwopia might be more to your taste. But they’re also similar enough for the rest of their tuning to where if you loved the original, you’re probably going to be into the new version, and if you weren’t into the original - unless you specifically wanted it to be slightly warmer - it’s unlikely to change your mind.

Personally, I think they’re both great, and for sound quality I don’t really have a meaningful preference either way. They both have that slight mid forward flavor to them, and I think yeah the new Utopia does soften some of the treble peaks a bit, but for whatever reason I never heard the original Utopia as being sharp or fatiguing up there. I think this is where the smoothness of the target isn’t a fair indicator of treble performance, and I’m sure unsmoothed rig vs human HRTF variation plays a role there.

If you own the original… should you get the new one? I’d say probably not, unless of course you’re all about the new aesthetic change and just want to have it. And I also wouldn’t say the new one is ‘better’ outright, as that’s going to come down to what individual people are looking for. We’re talking about like a 2dB difference here in the treble.

But if you were hesitant about the Utopia before given some of the reports of it being a bit sharp in the treble, well then I guess worry no more with this new one.

16 Likes