Focal Utopia 2022 - Dynamic Driver Over-Ear Open-Back Headphones - Official Discussion Thread

I think this needs to be turned into a Sonus article. :wink:

5 Likes

This is a trait that is gretly exacerbated by poor amp synergy. Amps a little on teh spicy side sound widly spicy with OG utopia as a general rule. Its one of the reasons that utopia is so damn synergy dependant IMO.

4 Likes

Fantastic review and a fun read. Thanks, @Rhodey!

2 Likes

Thanks! I just made some changes to it a bit ago. Read it over again today and man, I looked like a drunken mess! :rofl: This version is a little better. Prob not the best idea to write/type that off a phone. I did it over time and added to it, but still. Need to knock something like that out off a PC for a better product.

2 Likes

Here are my thoughts on the Utopia 2022 vs. the Original Utopia! We hope you enjoy!

Focal Utopia 2022 New Flagship Headphones with comparisons to the Original Focal Utopia Headphones!

6 Likes

Happy Holidays! If you are trying to decide which flagship headphones you want to ring in the New Year check out today’s video premiering at 8 am PT!

Focal Utopia 2022 vs. DCA Expanse vs. Meze Elite vs. Audeze LCD 5 Headphones Happy Holidays, TSAV!

2 Likes

Nice vid, would be great if you could add chapters in future videos for easier viewing.

2 Likes

Here are the new measurements of the Focal Utopia 2022 done on the B&K 5128:

Raw

Compensated

This looks about as expected, with a sound signature I’d describe as ‘neutral with a bit of character’, notably with that slight mid forwardness to it.

6 Likes

Curious about that treble raggedness. Does is sound like that to your ears? Or is it an artifact like the 9k dip we are used to seeing with the gras pinnae?

Treble raggedness in a graph is to be expected to some extent given that we’re using an unsmoothed target, and individual HRTF and positional variation is going to account for a lot. Some may hear those peaks as sharp, but others won’t - I certainly don’t for example. Importantly, harmonic balance needs to be intact, and with a series of elevations like that you can bet it generally will be - as long as the shape is reasonable. What may suffer as a result is ‘timbre’.

Edit: to answer your question about the concha effect, I’m seeing a bit of a feature around 8khz that regularly overemphasizes the energy there, but it’s not like that’s omitted in the target either, just not quite as strong. So that’s what I’m currently picking at.

3 Likes

Has anyone seen or found a headband cover thats extra padded and wide? Something like a pilot pad but fits well?

Yes. The ZMF Crescent Snap! :+1:

It is super comfortable, and (barely) fits on the Utopia headband. Plus it is less ugly than other options. It gives you that ZMF suspension strap feeling.

A word of caution - since it is such s snug fit, and the stretch material is so sheer, you have to hold down the snappy part that is on the top of the headband while you un-snap the top snap. I learned the hard way you can tear the fabric if you’re not careful when removing it.

3 Likes

Can you post a photo of it?

Thank you!

Here you go

4 Likes

Thanks! Awesome.

I assume you have to extend the cups a click or two as a result?

1 Like

Correct!

20 characters

1 Like

You know I have seen folks put on something like this with no pad, more of a sock and I don’t understand the purpose of doing that?

Now that ZMF Crescent strap is a beast! Reminds me of those headphones from the early 80’s with thicc pads!

To each his own on comfort needs but them snaps and thickness look, how do I say this politely…with all due respect, a snap-on maxi :innocent:

1 Like

:laughing:

I agree it’s fugly, but it sure is comfy!

The “sock” things I’ve seen on some Focals are worse IMO…

1 Like

I want a pair! Just not at full retail. Beautiful, hopefully they have fixed sound quality issues.

1 Like

There are no “sound quality issues” with Utopia, there are “audio chain issues”. :wink:

5 Likes