Focal Utopia Open-Back Headphones - Official Thread

If this is true then I’d say Focal succeeded. What more could we ask?

1 Like

Reasonable pad prices…

4 Likes

I have just reduced my headphone collection to two: Utopia OG and SR1a. I find them perfectly complementary and my selection of either will depend on my mood and music genre.

Also a fan of Tord Gustavsen

2 Likes

Tbh I’m not even mad at them for that. By all accounts, the third party OEM pads just don’t produce the same results. Whatever it takes to get that Utopia goodness I will pay. :person_shrugging:

I think that’s close to where I’m headed. Ultimately I think I’m bound for a duo collection: Utopia+Stellaris and Stax/CRBN/?+eksonic

It will take me a few years to get there, though.

1 Like

and reasonable driver replacements out of warranty?

1 Like

Sure, I have no doubt we could come up with a laundry list of things we wish Focal would do differently. Maybe a Utopia at $20? That would be great. But ultimately, they’ve come up with something peerless. That kind of success comes with the ability to charge a lot of money. I’m not mad at them for that.

1 Like

Agreed, the Utopia, either one, are my favorite (to date) second headphone to the Sr1a. It hurts my feelings they are so expensive, but this is life. At lest they do not take an expensive amp to drive well.

3 Likes

agreed. :100:

2 Likes

I think our tastes are really closely aligned. I had an SR1a for a bit, and would have loved to have kept it as a second headphone and compliment to my Utopia, which still would have gotten the bulk of listening time. Ultimately, I didn’t want to have two different setups given a lack of shared amplification needs, but SR1a is my second favorite headphone I’ve ever heard, to date (any setup, any price).

Fantastic review. Helpful… and annoying, because now I’m a bit more tempted by the Newtopia :frowning:

I guess you’re in this camp too, @tmarshl :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I really enjoy classical (listening to some Mussorsky: Pictures at an Exhibition right now), and really love the Utopia for it. You’re reading this in a Utopia thread, so obviously I advise the typical grain of salt, but be assured that plenty of people love the Utopia for classical.

5 Likes

Thanks folks, my unit just arrived (used, about two years old, so no need to burn in), I’m officially in.
after detailed listening… soundstage by far just can’t be on par with HD800s, not so good while facing very complex music. “separation” I don’t know how does the separation actually present with these cans, can you call it “weird?” like some mixed bag, can’t say good or bad. Imaging is too small or cramped?

vocal as good as everyone saying, if you only listen to pop music, this one is for you, despite the weight is a bit heavy on the head
I tried some hifiman planars in the past 6 months, and after side by side comparison, I think the non-TOTL planars are pretty good for the price.
Focal overpriced? that could be my conclusion… i’ve been using hps for almost ten years, this is the first time trying cans with price tag like that (Utopia), the margin is too small, plus not totally satisfied
can we safely say the hd800s is better buck for the sound

Well they are picky and revealing of source gear.
It could be that it doesn’t synergize well with yours.

What are you running them with?

1 Like

Like @hifiDJ mentioned, what is your chain?

I saw you mentioned the vocals on hd800s weren’t very good or natural? Imo the 800 has pretty good vocals. I’ve never really had a complaint with that portion of that headphone. So I’m wondering again what the pairings have been?

And if you’ve been using the hd800s exclusively off a certain chain and your use to that signature, you may need some time to adjust as well. From my experience, the Utopia clarity, imaging and separation are on another level from the hd800.

I’m not sure what you picked up your OG Utopia for, but I’d say probably in the 2-2.5k region? I think Utopia is a solid step above the hd800s for an additional 1k. But this is all relative.

3 Likes

I’ve gotten plenty of magical moments during my time with an Utopia so I don’t doubt your opinions. The best experiences I’ve had with this hobby happens with a dynamic driver headphone and I’ve heard some truly great planar and estats. I truly believe there’s some mojo with good ol’ dynamic drivers and it’s true shame that it is often viewed as an afterthought.

The original Utopia is some of the most dynamic sounding headphone on a matching setup. It’s crisp and direct with plenty of drive. It won’t best a competent planar like d8k in terms of overall oomph and extension though that comes at the expense of a balance midrange and splashy highs, both of which the Utopia does justice. The treble on the OG is one of my favorite aspects of it so will be interesting to hear how the new one performs. A new chassis with improved driver durability and the exact same signature would’ve been my ideal upgrade but the new tuning seem to be a hit so I’m excited to hear one out hopefully within the next few weeks.

1 Like

Does anyone have a recipe in how to use Utopia for it to get very comfortable? I find it funny because sometimes I find it to fit like a glove, very comfortable, and other times I can’t find a good fit, a bit of clamp and contact causes me some discomfort no matter what position I try (it is not a huge problem, when I had Fostex TH900OG it was waaay worse, I remember leaving it on things like balls or boxes to reduce its clamping pressure). If I find a way to always get the good fit with it I can stop thinking about getting some meze :joy:.

My 2c on the revision.

Managed to get some listening time in last weekend. Took some notes and thought I’d briefly share my thoughts. Overall it is a very impressive headphone right up there with some of the best. Resolution is top notch and it’s as detail as some of the best I’ve heard. You’d be hard pressed to find something that out resolves it. Speed is also top notch. There’s a slight bump in mid-bass compared to the original and also saps a bit of that tinge from it’s treble. It doesn’t sound as intense as the original at least from my listening. I could see definitely see people preferring this revision over the original. It is just that bit heftier sounding than the original. As an overall package there’s no real weakness which is what’s make it a really good headphone. It sounds great with everything and there is not a hint of glare or any timbre oddities.

Is it that much better than the original? Simply put no. At least not to my ears. In fact the original might even be a tad better than the new revision in some technical areas. The transients while fast on the revision, feels ever so slightly less defined and just a wee bit slower than the original. Note attack doesn’t quite have that same immediacy compared to the original. There is a bit more heft to it’s bass and that helps with making the Utopia sound more dynamic but it doesn’t sound as tight and precise as the original. I’d describe the 2022 as a slightly laid back sounding Utopia whilst the original remains as a more incisive sounding counterpart. Really up to preference as to whether one prefers the original or the revision. For my taste I’d pick the original over the revision anytime.

8 Likes

Your impressions reassure my gut feeling that the 2022 is better suited for my preferences than the OG which I had only very very brief time with but enough to make me interested in the 22 that I now know quite well.
Obviously for me it’s a step in the right direction and from Focal’s standpoint I guess as well since it’ll be easier to sell more if it’s a little more forgiving.
The OG is still widely available so I think it’s a win-win for everyone.

I grab the Utopia when I want a more engaged listening over the Susvara or Mysphere and when I want a more traditional headphones sound. I guess the latter is subjective but that’s my best description.

1 Like

I listened to Utopia 2022 on three high-end setups last weekend at Capital Audiofest, and previously heard the older Utopia in store and at home for several days. I was very sensitive to the old one’s treble even with mild vocals, and the new one isn’t different to my ears. It quickly picks up on bright notes and just pierces. If the old one worked for you the new should too. If the old didn’t work for you the new one likely won’t either.

1 Like

It’s so very dependent on the chain driving it, when I first heard the OG Utopia, I really didn’t understand the treble criticism, it wasn’t until I experimented driving it with more modest gear that I really understood what people were hearing.
It’s a common complaint, neither of my normal chains exposed it, but I also bought the headphone because a friend had assured me it was a good match for both amps and I needed to hear it.

2 Likes