Focal Utopia Open-Back Headphones - Official Thread

Yes, I could definitely tell the difference, as I had a BF2 previously…

That’s extremely helpful, thank you. I really like my dac/amp combo, especially with Atrium and RAD-0. :+1: Of course, there’s always something better, or different for sure.

1 Like

Assigning a numerical value to the difference between Clear and Utopia is tricky territory. In my opinion, you either have the mojo (not the dac! lol) or you don’t. That last “5%” makes one helluva difference.

I’m sure any rational person on the street would confirm that Clear is about 95% as good as Utopia. But from a “I spend tens of thousands of dollars on my hifi system” audiophile perspective I’m not so sure I agree.

YMMV.

Fwiw, at the price that Utopia OG can be had on the second hand market right now I don’t think there is any reasonable argument for buying a Clear. But that’s just my 2 cents.

2 Likes

I was quoting the “95% of its bigger brother” really just to get the conversation started, and elicit some info.

To use a specific example with some gear I know, I could say “a Schiit Bifrost 2 gets you 90% of the sound quality of the Yggdrasil”. Well, in some ways that’s kind of true, but having owned both I know the Yggy is a much more capable DAC than the BF2, but that does not diminish what a great DAC the BF2 is on its own, and especially for the $.

In any case, I pulled the trigger :scream: :sunglasses:

I have a Utopia 2020 on the way!

Thank you @generic and @andris especially for your input. :+1:

And of course to headphones.com, @taronlissimore and Sam Cooper!

9 Likes

YEEEEEEAHHHHHH! Welcome to the club!!! I really hope you love it :slight_smile:

I’m here and happy to share Utopia-related experiences!

4 Likes

Congratulations!

If possible, please bring it to the mini-meet - I want to try it on the Folkvangr. :smiley:

1 Like

Utopia on MZ3 is very fun and technical (with a few staging tricks) but not very emotionally engaging to my ears. I’m not moved by the slower music or intimate performances or acoustic stuff as I’m used to. Let it rock out or even if it’s some smaller jazz suddenly a lot of details pop out and the spherical like staging makes it a very fun listen

The holographic presentation is a little exaggerated with the MZ3. The stage isn’t large on any dimension but it emphasizes positioning with depth plays that is cool but isn’t necessarily in the track I think

This was great

I think I prefer the OG to the 2022 from memory. The 22 was a bit more standard and when compared to something like the D8KP LE I see little reason to own 2022. The OG has its own thing going for it.

It’s also by far the better value with used prices and the headphone to beat under $3K imo

3 Likes

I have a Clear and Utopia (OG). I bought the Utopia expecting a 10% upgrade, so I could sell it on and make some profit.

The Utopia is a totally different tier of experience to Clear. It’s honestly incredible, a word i’d never use to describe the Clear.

6 Likes

Well, there’s 10% and then there is 10% :).

Having both in my stable, I genuinely believe that the Clear is enough. And I believe that the Utopia is far better. At this point I am keeping both, the Clear to listen to when I am on-line, un-focused (but aware :)) and the Utopia when I only want to concentrate on music. (I also switch between “stacks” depending on what I am listening to … (rabbit hole ahead)). Admittedly 1st world issues …

That said, 'twixt the two the Utopia is indeed clearly superior. (However, for all you youngsters out there, if you own or acquire the Clear: (a) excellent choice, (b) just listen to music and (c) never, ever read anything on-line ever again.)

8 Likes

I also have both, and I think your assessment is pretty accurate in my experience as well.

The Clear OG is an outstanding value, and sounds pretty fantastic on its own merits. I have zero hesitation recommending it in the approx $1K range (new), and as we know it’s $900 at this point! In good condition used a better deal yet. The only fault it has are the janky stock cables! Otherwise, :+1: :smile:

Now the Utopia (2020 in my case) is truly something else entirely, and absolutely amazing. I had heard some pretty amazing headphones before, but my jaw dropped the first time I heard this. The resolution, staging, dynamics, and speed of it blew me away. It’s also the first headphone I’d heard where you could “feel” sub-bass, and it genuinely will reproduce 20Hz. It is arguably treble forward, but the timbre overall is pretty extraordinary.

In the end it depends on how deep down the rabbit hole you want to go, but the Clear is a great choice, and a reasonable end point if you want to keep your wallet intact! :laughing:

4 Likes

Welcome to the Utopia club. :slight_smile: I too bought Utopia out of pure curiousity, not really expecting to keep it long. Turns out it’s my endgame. Who knew? :wink:

While descriptions of a mid-tier item being “80%” of the flagship can be useful in some situations, when you’re talking about the summit-fi tier it’s more like “all or nothing”. Your device either has the magic you are looking for or it doesn’t. There is no “80%”, it’s either “good” or it’s “MAGIC”. If it’s magic you are looking for you have to go deep into diminishing returns to find it. The irony is once you find it the returns aren’t really diminished at all.

11 Likes

Indeed, I have Utopia & Elex (very close to Clear).
Tbh no headphone really blew me away, HD800s, Clear or Elex. They sounded good for sure but I never consciously went, this headphone is incredible. Until I got Utopia.

One of the best kept secrets in headphones is that diminishing returns are massively over exaggerated, and there is a significant jump to the summit from mid tier. I wish it wasn’t the case as cheaper performance would be nice, but there is some discrete change in atmosphere when you listen to a Utopia over a Clear.

4 Likes

I agree, “diminishing returns” is misused and misconstrued often. IMHO returns are U-shaped logarithmic - you get a big return in the beginning, then a whole lot of small returns on the way up the ladder, then there’s a big return again at the summit. At the top, you’ve either got the ‘mojo’ or you don’t. If you don’t, it’s worthless; but once you find the ‘mojo’ you are looking for it’s priceless.

7 Likes

Value is nonlinear and personal – perception is reality. Take a look at the solid state vs. tube amp holy wars. Many people hear tube amps as much louder per watt, but the measurements people firmly disagree. I think the distinct perception is real, and it likely follows from tube harmonics stimulating different sets of hearing receptors. It’s often perceived as more enveloping…but either desirable or undesirable.

Run your own race and be happy!

Happy Independence Day too.

9 Likes

After 50 years in this hobby the only thing that I have really learned regarding audio is to trust your own ears.

If your system sounds good to you and you’re happy with it then enjoy all the music it gives you access to.

Happy 4TH! :blush:

10 Likes

I just entered the Utopia club and realized there’s no good place to mount a Modmic.

As a 3d printer owner, I had to rectify the situation.

Behold the most niche thing I’ve ever made.

9 Likes

Congratulations - you, sir, have the world’s most advanced gaming headset. :+1:

3 Likes

People think I’m throwing in Valorant, but I’m just unable to stop crying because everything sounds so beautiful ;-;

Meetings are a surreal experience. It sounds like my coworkers are right in front of me.

2 Likes

Super longshot, but wondering if anybody has compared (or heard both) the Holo Bliss vs DSHA-3F (or even demoed the upcoming DSHA-3FN) on the Utopia. I’d love to hear your thoughts!

1 Like

Did not hear the alternative but Utopia on Bliss was an underwhelming experience for me personally.

2 Likes

Noted. So that I have some context on where you’re coming from, any chance you can mention some other amps you’ve liked or disliked w/ the Utopia?

1 Like