Focal Utopia Open-Back Headphones - Official Thread

I was referring to my pending review of the Vérité Closed, which of course includes a comparison with the open-backed Vérité (and the Utopia etc.).

I’m not planning on doing a specific Utopia review myself (I do need to get Andrew’s posted to the main page).

Utopia remain my reference for conventional dynamic headphones, I still own the set I bought at launch (and had two pairs at one point), and have no plans to part with them. Across all technicalities and their native signature, they are the best overall conventional headphone I know of.

They’re not perfect, and they can be beaten on individual technicalities … and of course signature is a personal thing and unless you’re shooting for “strictly neutral” then there are many other options there.

Tonally I think the Vérité is actually better (certainly more broadly agreeable) headphone, and has a more expansive and vivid projection of stage, though the Utopia hold a slight edge in terms of speed, resolution and micro-dynamics.

Put another way … if I am evaluating a DAC or ampliifer, then the first headphone I tend to reach for is the Utopia. If I am sitting down to listen to music for my own pleasure, it tends to be the Vérité.

Though the SR1a and MySphere 3.2 have very much put the “cat among the pigeons” when it comes to technicalities vs. the Utopia …

6 Likes

Utopias are sooooo two years ago…yeeesh… it’s all about the Koss Porta Pros now… they are the TOTLs you are looking for and are “end-game” yo!!! said in best hipster voice I have :wink:

** to be clear I’m joking with the above comment…also I have nothing against Koss Porta Pros, they are just one of the most hipster looking headphones I could think of outside of Grado… :wink:

3 Likes

Oh, oh… you are ready to empty your wallet!! Welcome @audiosenpai!!

2 Likes

SR1A is the new baseline… but Verite Open/Closed and Aeolus is my jazzy lusty lady singing heavily to me :wink:

A lil bird whispered to me to stay alert on Head-fi for pictures of my upcoming headphone, which I will be picking up this weekend in Chicago!!!

6 Likes

I know your pain. I pass more than a year with clear. I have a utopia now. I pass long time trying to convince myself that who have a clear have x% or dont need utopia, yep yep. I just sold the clear. Utopia, to my ears, is very diffferent than clear. Clear, for me, isnt close to be in the same league. The utopia is the only headphone that I put in my head and really understand why it costs more than the others.

5 Likes

And this makes it harder. Now you say Utopia is in another league. Also you getting Verite Closed. So many good choices!

3 Likes

Great review! I know you kind of touched on this in your review, but with EQ, which do you prefer between the Utopia and the HE-1000SE? It seems like after you correct for frequency response, the HE-1000SE would pull ahead because of its ability to produce a massive soundstage, and since you said they’re about even on detail retrieval, I’d be curious to hear your recommendation between the two for those who are willing to apply EQ.

3 Likes

Probably the HEKse for the crazy stage. That thing is just ridiculous.

3 Likes

@Resolve What would you say is the actual width difference of the soundstage on the Clear vs Utopia, if any? Information on this particular point is really hard to find in reviews, so apologies if it has already been addressed elsewhere.

I actually find the Utopia slightly wider (from memory), but neither has a particularly large stage. I feel like with the Utopia it’s less obvious because of how surgical and distinct the imaging is.

1 Like

@Resolve’s excellent and comprehensive full review of the Focal Utopia is now on the main headphones.com site!

11 Likes

@nooac from your comment “I’d be interested in a short(if possible) comparison of all three headphones. First, second and third if possible. Which one is your favorite if you have one and why.” from the MrSpeakers Voce thread. I figured I’d post here as my thoughts pertain to the Utopia.

HiFiMAN HE-1000, Sennheiser HD800, Focaul Utopia. In order of increasing preference. I started off with the HD800 after a long line of headphones before it. At one point I owned the LCD-X and HD800 at the same time and thought they were very good compliments to each other. The LCD-X with great lows and mids, but a very small soundstage. The HD800 with enormous detail and huge soundstage. The LCD-X went shortly after I first heard the HE-1000. I can’t remember exactly why to be honest. It may have done everything the LCD-X did but with a bit bigger soundstage. So for a while I owned the HE-1000 and HD800 and bounced back and forth between the two.

Eventually, a deal came up for a pair of Focal Utopia. I purchased them having never heard them. Maybe all of the reviews of them being the ‘best headphones in the world’ piqued my interest. I figured they’d be worth a shot. So now I had three high end headphones. Splitting time between the three didn’t seem reasonable. Nor did the fact that I had a bunch of money tied up in headphones that I wasn’t going to put to good use. I settled on the Utopia. They’re still my main headphones and the only headphones I own for my headphone rig (I do have a pair of Aeon Closed v1 that I use at work). My selection process for the three came down to compromises, a story of Goldilocks.

*All of this is from memory, so maybe not the most accurate anymore as I sold the HE-1000 and HD800 over a year ago…

HE-1000: comfortable, but probably the least so of the three for my preferences. They had a good bottom end but I don’t remember them being as punchy as I would have liked - kick drum didn’t hit as hard as I would have liked. They had a good soundstage but weren’t as resolving/detailed as the HD800, so the image felt a bit smeared with bigger pieces.

HD800: comfortable and very light. The ear pad material could be a bit better, but not bad. These are very detailed and airy. I didn’t do any of the mods to ‘tame’ the treble. They could be a bit fatiguing after a while, but the wide soundstage was wonderful for orchestral music. They did reach down pretty low in the bass, but the quantity just wasn’t there for me - kick drum hit, but lacked oomph.

Utopia: maybe not as comfortable to me as the HD800, but comfortable enough. The ear pads are nice. Maybe if these had a more ear-like shape to the cups they would be better. Very resolving with good extension on both ends. They don’t have quite the bottom end that I would prefer. I wouldn’t consider myself a bass head in any sense, but (as I’m sure you’ve guessed by now) I do like bass to be natural. So if there’s a kick drum, I want it to hit. I want to feel the kick of the drum in GoGo Penguin’s Window or rumble at the finale of Stravinksy’s Firebird Suite. They don’t have the wide soundstage of the HD800, but are not too narrow. They do, however, have good separation and imaging. They do acoustic music and vocals really well, perhaps because of the more intimate soundstage. Artists like Sarah Jarosz and Alela Diane or even Nat King Cole sound perfectly natural and centered while the music surrounds them.

Hmm that was a bit rambly. Anyway, there’s no such thing as the perfect pair of headphones… or speakers… or running shoes. Or at least that I’ve ever found. So we must do with the best that we can afford, that we can audition, that checks off as many boxes as possible. The Utopia aren’t perfect, but they’re a good compromise between the things that I like. Perhaps I will have to try out a few more pairs of headphones to see if anything can unseat them as my only pair.

Feel free to reach out if you have any specific questions.

5 Likes

How very kind. The HD800’s that I sampled at a store for less than 2 minutes (don’t start. Not you @DVass13. Everybody else) sounded quite rich. Almost too rich (don’t know what was played or through what electronics) but I liked them a lot. I’m thinking of moving up into the big time as cheap as possible. (Yes @Torq IWNIT I hear you!) Info like this is invaluable to me. I will read articles and blogs for years. Then on a whim get something as a casual purchase. Anyone watching would not know the data that ran through my head years before. In a short (not rambling to me) few paragraphs you let me vicariously get a flavor of how you feel. Much appreciated. I am surprised the HE1000 didn’t fair better. I like the HE500’s but I’m a sucker for planar frequency linearity. Thinking about getting the HE560’s on sale cheap at Amazon because @pennstac has them and he leans towards stats, which I presumed I was going to get until @Torq (IWNIT) stopped me in my tracks with his extremely captivating thoughts on the ribbon RAAL SR1a’s. So much for you rambling!:sweat_smile:

1 Like

@nooac I wrote a review a while back on the HE-560. I re-posted it over on its dedicated thread. It has some comparisons to the LCD-X and HD800, so it may be useful to you.

2 Likes

You DA man! Reading and pondering. Thanks

Well after months of reading and listening, I choose the Focal Utopia to go with my Pass Labs HPA-1 amp. The synergy (with Shunyata RCA cables) is absolutely amazing. Musical, energizing, and the best performing headphone I’ve heard - “in my system.” Even their box is amazing! With the right amp they are winners!!!

5 Likes

Just scored some used Utopias, which should be here in a few days. After finally hearing them at the Tampa show last weekend, I couldn’t wait … and found a good buy online.

2 Likes

Whoa. These are intensely great headphones. Still in “can’t take them off my head” mode. They were barely used by the original owner so maybe still breaking in, but at first blush they are everything the reviews have claimed them to be, and then some. Even the dorky 10-foot cord is handy as it allows me to use the amp in my living room system (a Bel Canto Black Ex integrated amp/dac/everything) which just sounds incredible. They are, indeed, hyper-detailed and pinpoint sharp in focus, but I am pleasantly surprised at how easily those details flow together. More to come!!

1 Like

Nice! Glad you’re enjoying them. Looking forward to further impressions.

These are just ridiculously great headphones. I can put them on and forget I’m wearing headphones, especially with extended tracks of classical music (symphonic and chamber) and jazz. Some recordings really come to life in a special way … Bill Frisell and Thomas Morgan’s “Small Town” (ECM), recorded live at the Village Vanguard (I was at one of the shows that week), is great for showing off the Utopia’s flair for detail. The music, of course, is great, with its deliberate, hovering tones of guitar, bass and electronics, all subtleties and sustain, but then you get the sound of someone perhaps sneezing in the audience, a glass clacking at the bar in the back of the room, weird buzzing from one of Bill’s pedals. It’s not presented in a showoffy, detail-freak way, just as part of the room’s ambience … It puts you there in that moment, in that intimate space … My only complaint so far is that they are a notch less comfortable than the Stellia, which really do vanish when you wear them (in a very limited audition I had), and not in the same comfort zone as the Empyrean, with its plush EZ Chair aesthetic. So far, using the headphone outs on either of my Bel Canto integrateds (Black Ex and C7R), but wonder what they’d sound like with tubes … Not gonna invest in anything like that right now … But interested if anyone has experience running a high-end headphone tube amp with the Utopias.

5 Likes