Fostex Lawton Mod

I don’t know the cups hide the “tip” pretty good… pretty sure I’d be upset putting those on…lol

1 Like

I can’t even

1 Like

More expensive doesn’t always mean better. Stick with the tesla 1 IMHO.

2 Likes

Alright. I’m trusting you on this.

Plus, if I want ‘more’ I’ll have to build another one! :blush:

1 Like

Is the D5k one of the older, or newer models?

I’ve noticed that the current Denon models don’t appear to listed on Lawton’s website. I’m wondering if it’s the shape of the housing, because I don’t think they have a revised Foster driver (yet).

The headband of the newer Denon look sturdier and appear as though they are more comfortable.

1 Like

Before you do anything, I’d settle on the right headphone you want to mod and then have a discussion about the headphone with Mark about what your goals are to mod it. He’s very knowledgeable and will help steer you in the right direction. He’s been very helpful to me planning out my builds. Even though I’ve been 100% satisfied with everything we’ve decided together, I’m sure he would do anything to make the customer completely satisfied. Don’t hesitate to reach out to him.

4 Likes

Definitely, also I couldn’t agree more with you regarding Mark. I’ve actually discussed the build with him, and I have decided to go with my original plan of modding a 1 Tesla driver model.

Since Drop is out of stock I’ll probably wait for a TH610 when @andrew and @taronlissimore decide to bring back Fostex. :wink:

1 Like

Getting your hands on a TH610 might be your only bet, especially if you want to purchase new. Keep an eye out on the used market too. Two out of the three TR-X00’s I purchased were on EBay. One brand new and one used. Mark might even have some options/ideas for you as well.

It’s a shame these headphones aren’t as readily available anymore. They are fantastic headphones.

2 Likes

Thanks. I’ll look into it.

My hope is that they may be releasing an updated model. Massdrop/Drop sold enough units to offer 3 versions, so there’s definitely a possibility that it’s being updated.

That’s my hope at least.

FYI… Unfortunately I’ve read that Massdrop is completely done with the TR-X00.

1 Like

TH610 it is! :laughing:

Refurbished one

2 Likes

On german eb… a get new 610’s for 595€
Edit: I can delete both posts, to keep the thread Clear
If it’s not helping

1 Like

Good find.

I’m still waiting on my cups from Lawton, they’re in the finish stages right now and aren’t expected to ship for another 2-3 weeks. I’ll order after my cups arrive.

I’ve been asking enough that I’m hoping headphones.com starts carrying Fostex again by then (I’m a little leery with purchasing headphones second hand. I’m a bit of a ‘germphob’). :grimacing:

I can understand it 100%
The Lawton wood cups are phenomenal looking

1 Like

Mark Lawton turns some really nice wooden cups.

He sent me a photo of the ones I purchased, pre-finish, and they looked gorgeous imo.

I’ll definitely post photos when they arrive.

1 Like

Received my ZMF pads today.

I’m very impressed with the quality of the leather, especially the Pilot Pad. It really is ‘glove’ soft.

The packaging is also impressive. The way they wrapped everything in tissue paper… great attention to detail. I’m looking forward to receiving a much larger parcel from ZMF someday.

Now just waiting on my Lawton Chambers (cups), and the actual headphones! :laughing:

2 Likes

oh you add the pilot headband? - nice idea! this is for sure a super comfortable solution

Yes, from what I’ve read the Lawton cups’ are heavy so I figured since I was ordering the pads…

1 Like

Quick update:

I spoke with Mark Lawton, and my ‘cups’ are in the curing process. ETA is 4 weeks (:flushed:).

They’re going with a longer curing time to assure a durable finish, then final buffing before they ship…

Which gives me more time to purchase some other gear! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes