General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

@Morgrim. It took longer than I wanted but I did build my shelf / rack for the medium sized Schiit stack.

Moderators - please feels free to move this post to anywhere you feel appropriate since it’s not really purchase advice.

What took the most time was figuring out what to use for the legs / posts. I decided on using hardware that I previously knew nothing about, standoffs. I’d love to hear any other suggestions other people might have.

From what I read, standoffs are used as spacers for electronic components or used to attach signage to a wall.

I used two vendors for my materials.

First I ordered precut plexiglass panels for the shelves. I could have saved some money and simply cut my shelves from a single plexiglass sheet but I really don’t have the tools to do the job correctly. I found a company on Etsy that pretty much focused on just custom cut plexiglass. The company name is SebyTechAcrylic (Acrylics Sheets Tubes and Rods by SebyTechAcrylic on Etsy). You just order the closest size panel to what you need and have it cut down to your desired size. They will also polish the edges for an additional charge. You can do that yourself but it sounds very time consuming. He will also drill the required holes but I decided to do that myself. Be advised you do need a special bit to drill acrylic or you can crack or chip it.

I was very pleased with the acrylic panels. They were cut precisely to the dimensions I needed and they all had protective sheeting on both sides. The product was shipped very quickly though it took forever to get here priority mail.

Total damage with shipping and taxes for the three shelves was $58. That included the polished edges ($15). He would have drilled the leg holes for $12.

I purchased the hardware from a company called McMaster Carr (mcmaster.com).

These are the items I purchased. Everything I ordered was 1/4 inch wide, 8-32 threading and zinc plated. I was tempted to go wider and stainless but that was a significant cost increase. I also ordered an 11/64 plastic bit to drill the acrylic from here.

For the feet - (4) 1/2 inch - female / female standoff
For the legs (for the amp) - (4) 2 1/2 inch female to female standoff
For the legs (for the DAC) - (4) 2 inch female to female standoff
For the top caps - (4) 1/4 inch caps
To connect the female / female standoffs (8) low strength threaded steel rods 3/4 inches long (only needed 8 but had to order 50, they were cheap)

With the drill bit, total damage was about $60. Fedex shipping included. For me they arrived next day but they are close to me.

End result, I spent about $120. I could have saved a bit if I had the tools to work with plexiglass and I was more familiar with other types of hardware.

I’ve got a few diagrams and pictures that I hope will help anyone that wants to build one of these. As you can tell by some of the detail, I am still pretty bored with all of this social distancing. Any specific questions, feel free to ask.

Front view - 3 shelves

Top view - With the Jotunheim

The setup

16 Likes