General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

An advantage of the Clears is that they sound excellent even out of a highly affordable setup. The Cavalli Tube Hybrid synergizes nicely with them and is a steal at $175. I pair mine with the Airist RDAC, which is slightly dark. It’s not for sale right now, though, so you might opt for the Modi Multibit instead. Here’s a strong, authoritative endorsement of this setup. Also, take a look at @lost33’s comments on the Clear and the Lyr 3 here and elsewhere on this forum.

If you get a pair of Clear used, look carefully at the photos in the sale listing to see if the pads or the underside of the headband are discolored. They can get gnarly pretty quickly and Focal has exorbitantly overpriced replacement parts. If you were to get a pair, you’d do well to get a headband cover to protect your investment. You mentioned the price range of $950-1000; you can get them for $800 if you’re patient and lucky, and if you keep an eye on the listings (do you know about the devbrada which compiles the for sale listings on Head-Fi?).

If you opt for a closed back, I’d recommend the Elegia. Others have commented favorably about the Shure 1540. I’ve not heard it but here’s a thread for you to check out.

5 Likes