General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a bit reading about user’s recommendations for an introductory / mid-range setups and came across this gem: Recommended Gear (Big thank you to @ProfFalkin!!). After more research into the products listed in that post’s tier’s 2 and 3 I decided to pull the trigger on a bifrost2 / lyr3(JJ6SN7) as the drivers for my headphone journey. Unfortunately the dropHD6XX is on pre-order and won’t begin shipping until the 30th. I know, I know, it’s only a few weeks but I’m already dreaming of all the hours I am going to spend re-exploring my music library in awe and really don’t want to wait.

So I figured I’d look for alternatives. I am looking for an open back headphone and have been considering the following options based on other video reviews and lots of reading (Covid has put a damper on me going to stores and trying things out):

Wait for the Drop HD6xx and use the 1000XM3’s I have until then
HifiMan Sundara for 350 which I can have in a couple of days with Prime
Wait even longer for the Drop Elex to start shipping 1/15
Find something used

My price range is: Trying to keep it under 500$ as I want this to be my “introduction / rite of passage” into the hobby. With that being said, I intend to own more headphones over time and a few hundred dollars more or less isn’t unacceptable. I just don’t want to cross the 1k mark until I have gotten good use out of something cheaper first. I was reluctant to look on eBay but saw some interesting things on Reverb.com. I suppose I am open to something lightly used in this price range.

I like to listen to: All types of rock from progressive to classic rock. Jazz, bluegrass, folk, and ambient electronic are strewn in there also but the vast majority of my FLAC 24bit/192Khz library is rock. I intend to use this daily in my home office connected to my computer.

Am I overthinking this? Probably. As an engineer I’m certainly aware of tendencies to over-analyze but there’s so many quality choices. Help!

–Frankie

5 Likes