General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

I am going to harp on the lsa hp-2 if you want punchy. That is all.

ESX900 (modded TH900 by EvSchaff) is about $1.3k and there is no other headphone that has as much dynamics and slam that I have heard. I would recommend it above anything in any price point if you want dynamics and slam without sacrificing much of anything except some air, but they are closed back so to be expected anyways. ESX900 Impressions: Slamhead’s Delight | Super Best Audio Friends

Some cheaper options would be the TH-X00/TR-X00. HD660 wont give you what you are looking for.

IF you can deal with the weight, Atticus/Eikon fit what you could like. I know you had VO before, not sure how you enjoy the ZMF sound.

HE6SE V2 also would be up for consideration if you can drive them. The V2 are pretty comfy.

2 Likes

Interesting. Much different to the Lawnton mods?

Hi everyone,

I currently have an RME ADI-2 DAC that I use with my headphones, but the itch to upgrade is always there…

Headphones are Focal Clear, Fostex TH-900 mk2, and looking to add a Final D8000 down the line.

I also have a Bryston BHA-1, but I’m planning to sell that as well to fund the upgrade.

My shortlist includes:

• Violetric V590
  • Questyle CMA Twelve/Master
  • iFi Pro iDSD
  • Chord Hugo TT2 or maybe Hugo 2
  • Luxman DA-250
  • Matrix Audio Element X
  • Burson Conductor 3X
  • Mytek Brooklyn
  • Naim Uniti Atom Headphone Edition
  • Soekris Dac 2541
  • Holo Cyan
  • Focal Arche

The TT2 is the absolute most I can stretch my budget, so things like Chord Dave and dCS Bartok are out of reach for me, unfortunately…

Any suggestions/advice on what the best DAC/Amp combo is will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

6 Likes

Hi!

Listen I have been hearing all over YouTube from prominent audio reviewers that the HOLO MAY KTE DAC is the new miracle DAC. It is a R2R latter DAC Topology, which I know is old but it has been incredibly revamped even with silver wiring and high quality caps. :slight_smile:
Anyway, many are saying that this DAC, which costs 5,000 $ USD is better than even the Chord DAVE combined with the M-Scaler !!
I’d try and demo this thing. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

The Holo May is a good suggestion within the stated price range but it’s DAC only, not DAC/amp.

Just to clarify, the silver and cap “upgrades” on some models are outside of the R2R portion of the unit and while they may effect the overall performance the R2R component is essentially the same across all versions.

The KTE version apparently has better performing DACs based on some unknown selection criteria; however, without knowing baseline average performance and how much “better” the hand picked ones are that statement is nebulous as there is no comparative context.

Lots of positive reviews on the May. Almost universally praised outside of it size, 40lbs and 2 large chassis’s, and its 4-5k price tag. One recent YT review did claim superiority to the Dave M Scaler combo although the Dave has more capability than just being a DAC.

If I had to pick one high end DAC to try it would currently be the May, based only on reviews. It also measures remarkably well for those that are interested in that.

7 Likes

@Username69 , are you specifically looking for an all-in-one DAC/amp? Is this for space reasons?

2 Likes

Don’t count out other DACs like Aqua la voce s3, lampizator amber 3, berkeley alpha series 2, sonnet morpheus, burl b2 bomber, mojo mystique v3, and many more…

Some of these I’ve never heard of until recently. There’s a lot out there, most of which haven’t been brought to light. The Holo is just one of those that have been highlighted a lot recently. I will say the Holo is the most aesthetically pleasing to my eyes…gorgeous unit inside and out!

5 Likes

Right you are.
He wants a DAC/AMP combo.
:slight_smile:
Forgot that detail.

3 Likes

Anything that gives the Chord DAVE a run for its money I’m absolutely game to learn about it. :slight_smile:

I need some help in choosing gear for times when I have people around me and can’t use anything that’s open.

I currently have the Thieaudio Clairvoyance IEM. I love the tuning and details, but I’m trying to decide whether I should replace it with a Focal Celestee.

I know they’re not directly comparable, but any thoughts you could send my way would be appreciated!

1 Like

Technically very well tuned headphones, very neutral in frequency response, intimate soundstage, good punch at expense some air pressure on the ears that to me brought to some ear fatigue.
Consider the last factor if you plan to use them for long listening sessions.

1 Like

Thanks! How does it handle details and instrument separation?

1 Like

As a good dynamic driver or you you want very similar to Clears.
Not as a planar would do but if you’re into dynamic driver it is the closer one to Clears in closed back or to be precise that was the one I spent an afternoon with at Focal factory before the production officially started.
I’ve been said they were the final revision so I’ve no reason to doubt about it.

1 Like

Awesome, thanks! The Celestee seems better than the Clairvoyance now…

2 Likes

Never mind. If you have the possibility try them in order to listen with your own ears.
Consider also I usually listen to very low volume so this fact may have affected my experience with the Celestee.

1 Like

I’m thinking of an entry level planar. Can someone, if heard both, compare HE400SE vs T50RPmk3?

1 Like

I haven’t tried the T50 but I have been trying out the HE400se lately and I am impressed for the price.

The T50’s will need more amp power than the 400se (although the 400se does need an amp to get the best out of it).

2 Likes

I’m looking at possibly getting a new DAC if it’s worthwhile or within my budget at the moment. I’m looking at around $4 to $500. I’m brand new to this and purchased some Hd 6xx’s, a Schiit Modi 3+, and a Magni 3+. I just finished a Bottlehead Crack. This sounds AMAZING as is but I’m just wondering if my DAC is holding back what my current setup is capable of. I listen to a wide array of music. I like rock, jazz, classical, and some older r&b, and metal. My price range is around $500.
I’m already looking at the Focal Clear as an upgrade for the cans. Does anyone have these and how are they? Or is there something else that would be an obvious upgrade under $1k? Preferably much lower. The clears are enticing because of the sale. I am looking for a lower impedance because I also have a Magni 3, to use as a temporary until I build another amp. I’m thinking maybe a Bottlehead SEX? I know I’m absolutely nuts but I’m absolutely hooked. I know I’m asking questions that could be about three posts but I’m basically trying to plan my next setup now.

I would avoid upgrading just to chase the dragon, what are you looking to upgrade in your system in terms of sound? What sound signature are you enjoying or are wanting to get? Is your $500 budget only for a DAC? I think you need to more clearly define what you are looking for and what you like/dont like so we can more accurately give you recommendations.

A Clear would not pair well with the Crack imo, so unless you plan on using it with your Magni3+ I would suggest maybe looking at the Aeolus to pair with the crack. Are you looking to continue with tube amps? Are you looking to pair more with SS? I think what you want is vital in determining what you should upgrade to, and you should figure that out first on what you are searching for. In terms up upgrades, I would look into the Speedball upgrade for the Crack if you haven’t already done it. I would also suggest maybe not getting the SEX as I feel that would be a bit redundant and not much of an upgrade from a modded Crack, would be better served saving your money and buying a higher end DIY amp such as the Elekit TU8600. If that is too expensive maybe a Elekit TU8200. Yes it is a much higher price, but I think continuing to buy middle tier Bottlehead would be more of a waste than saving and getting that instead.

5 Likes