General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Thanks, Prof - I’d considered that, and have about 3 ft easily available. I haven’t measured my office exactly, it may be a touch larger than I said. I’m in an 1100 sq ft suite, with the front occupied by the reception desk and waiting area. My office is next - I usually keep the door open, which provides an additional hallway behind that one corner. I was thinking of speaker placement just in front of the door on the door side, and about 3 ft forward from the wall (where a plant might be) on the other side.

I’d thought about that. Probably doing it right would cost over my budget. Hmmm Elacs…

Those don’t look bad. Never heard of the Zu.

I have a very solid 100w RMS per channel. My old Sansui AU-919 integrated, it’s been serviced and recapped. This was from the time that Sanusi was making a run on Marantz.

On the desk is out. I’d considered the Mini Maggie setup but for that. Not looking for near field, although I know it can sound good. One minor consideration is if I ever hold an open house event, I might want to move the speakers to the larger room.

Thanks for the thoughts - I will be considering and with any luck finding a spot to audition some. Keep the ideas coming. (I don’t move that fast)

2 Likes

It seems you are itching to fill the empty space with something that requires a lot of room. Flat speakers are certainly conversation pieces for non-audio folks (e.g., clients). “What is this magical device you have here? Can you perform similar magic with my investing and insurance plans?”

The closest thing to a Maggie that’s easily available for demos might be the Martin Logan setups in the Magnolia units of Best Buy. I’ve seen MLs with McIntosh components in multiple stores. High-margin aspiration gear for the suburbs.

Yeah, you’ll have to beware of the dangers of this:

and your response being "those are my

2 Likes

Why this?

Well, getting a good sound quality at a relatively low volume is not that easy with floor speakes, my Bowers & Wilkins need a lot of “pressure” to deliver a clean sound.

Strangely enough, I perceived for this preference, klipsch loudspeakers, to be very efficient.

If you like Grado, this thought might not be so absurd.

“The Audiophiliac” might even agree :wink: :grinning:

Powered by my Schiit.

3 Likes

Ahhh, @generic, you are also getting to the crux of another matter that I did not discuss. I knew that someone on this forum would be a spreader of light.

Yes, yes, one motive for the Maggie idea is that they are flat panels. Don’t look like speakers, almost might be some sort of acoustic room treatment. I know they sound good at low volume also. But yes, the idea is to have something that looks high-end, or at least modern different and magical.

The ELAC disappoints on that front. Very speaker like. I looked at the ZU Dirty Weekend and in the hickory finish seem much better. Still speaker-like but not ordinary. @Lothar_Wolf the Genelecs don’t look like aspirational goods. And I’ve listened to B&W in the 800 series, and I think you are right that they sound best driven and reasonable volumes. I’ve listened to modern Klipsch and only like their big horns. I like their old big horns also…

“Food for thought — and shoes for industry” - Firesign Theater

2 Likes

Might be interesting to you:

https://www.martinlogan.com/en/product/efx

My guy (who works in the industry you work in) has an office that has passed austere and borders on solitary confinement. Except for his one indulgence, an extremely fancy standing desk. I bet he gets a lot of questions about that desk.

2 Likes

I love the idea of the ML EFX. If all of you in the US would kindly trust me as your Financial Advisor, I could get the Maggies for now, then move them into the main reception area and replace them with the ML EFX in my office as I level up a few notches in my practice. PM me if interested!

Did I mention that I had set a price range of under $2k for the pair?

3 Likes

I see the hearts, but not the PMs.

1 Like

Sure, but I figured you would round up your budget up, like my advisor does when calculating my portfolios rate of return.

2 Likes

Even Magnepan presents the .7s as something akin to a Japanese shoji screen:

This is not a speaker:

Fully half of your visitors would see only furniture, not electronics. Even when they are producing sound many would guess the speakers were in the ceiling.

Oh, the professional seductions @pennstac has in mind! Keep the amp or a Bluetooth controller hidden under your desk for a maximum surprise factor.

As they sign on the dotted line, the Titanic theme swells or Whitney Houston sings “I Will Always Love You.”

4 Likes

I would offer that such should be balanced with avoiding a setup where clients/prospects may think that your commission/fee is too high.

Hello, Im looking for a comfortable headphone that cover completely my ears. Problem is: my ears are quite open. they have like 8cm height and they are hella open. Id like a phone that were bigger than that so the foam would rest over my skull and not over my ear itself. It would work like a dome around my ears. I have never found anything even near that shape and size. Can you guys help me? When I use the regular headphones, even the big ones, they rest over my ears, sandwiching them against my skull. Its ok for regular use but when you spend many hours wearing them, it starts getting painful.

Advices and hints anyone?

What have you tried before?

No worries there. The office is in a strip mall. The competition has purchased Armstrong Manor, shown below. This was the place that executive management of Armstrong Cork (Armstrong World Industries, Armstrong Flooring) put up visiting executives.

1 Like

Those who feel they are the best or want to be near the best want service from the best.

Carry on @pennstac!

2 Likes

Have you looked at the Dan Clark Aeons? They are really comfy and good for larger ears.

https://www.danclarkaudio.com/headphones.html

Got it, the threat of competition changes my assessment a bit.

As a prospective client, whether or not I knew anything about audio, I’d be impressed by a well put together system with high ROI, high aesthetics, sounds good in the 30 seconds I may spend listening to it, and tells a story. Too modern looking of a speaker might make the Sansui look dated. I’d be impressed by gear that creates American jobs or is otherwise iconic in the chosen geography such as Magnepan, JBL Synthesis, Klipsch Heritage, Martin Logan, KLH Model Five, Zu, Omega. Some of these have more of a classic look that may better match with the Sansui.

2 Likes

The Sansui is dated, but I already own it. My brain was toying with an eventual move to some used Conrad Johnson, perhaps Dynaco, or Fisher. There is a local plant, since repurposed that made RCA Tubes, and I have several clients that worked there. Or Schiit, always a possibility for humor. I have a mobile cabinet that matches the desk. I think that at one time it was for a TV/VCR. Good place to hide the electronics, but it’s pre-optical window, so I’d need to open it to change things.

I do NOT have guest wi-fi, but am in a Comcast wi-fi zone, so I can stream, but I can’t set up anything like SONOS.

1 Like

I personally favor using the Sansui if it pairs well with the speakers, and allocating funds elsewhere. I used the word dated only in the context in trying to avoid pairing it with a modern looking speaker where it may clash; with a classic looking speaker it will be in harmony (aesthetically) and wouldn’t need to be hidden. Now if you’re looking to expand the budget, the amps you mentioned would certainly take it up a level.