General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

hello, does anyone know which headphones are the best for surround, the mobius or the yamaha YH-L700 A, or maybe another one ?
best regards,
frans callebaut

I’m not sure i understand the question. What exactly is your use case? You don’t need head tracking for an imersive sound if thats what you are looking for

what do i need then for an immersive sound of for example a stereo cd,a stereo and/or multi-channel sacd , dvd-audio, blu-ray discs,4k ultra hd blu-ray discs ? i would connect the headphone to the 6,25 mm jack output of my yamaha cx- a5100 surround processor. that’ why i asked which one will give the best sound quality p.s. i’m not a gamer.

yamaha YH-L700 A or mobius , which one has the best sound quality ?

maybe best to ask this in the general advices/questions thread

1 Like

@frans I’m guessing the reason you’re not getting a lot of responses is that most of us use our headphones for stereo, and speakers for multi-channel. I don’t know of any headphones that are excellent for both.

For instance, this review by @Dynamic shows that he’s keeping the Mobius for specific reasons, but prefers something else for everyday listening. This review by @TylersEclectic says the Mobius is OK for music but he raves about using it for PC gaming.

6 Likes

Spot on @PaisleyUnderground

In my experience, simulated surround sound through headphones sounds nothing like it does through a speaker system. In fact, for me, a quality set of stereo headphones always images better than ones using simulated surround sound; the sound staging abilities are also more realistic to my ears using the stereo headphones. To each their own, though.

7 Likes

@robson Thanks again -:ok_hand:

5 Likes

You’re welcome!

Nice setup, looks great, very clean looking.

Which headphones are those on the stand?

2 Likes

They’re my recently-acquired Dan Clark Ether 2s, which so far seem to fit the ‘introverted, dark planar’ niche in my collection very nicely.

1 Like

Hi, i’m new here, hope my post is in the correct place.

Need help on a new headphones, not really sure how to describe what i want, but imma try.
I want something for like 200 (was thinking on the v-moda crossfade 2 with amazon discount), something with noise cancelling, most of the use will be listening music (electronic, lofi, rap, freestyle, and things like…), will use it with my phone with an adapter for the type-c to 3.5mm.
I think that’s all… the noise cancelling is really important, if possible don’t even want to listen to the rain, don’t now if it’s open or close (think is close) but i need that.
I’m from Panama, don’t know if that matters…

I’m thanking everyone in advanced.

3 Likes

I wouldn’t personally recommend noise cancelling headphones (although I own Bose NC headphones but I only use them during flights, not so much for music but to cut out crying children and plane noise).

Is your living situation so bad noise-wise that you absolutely need NC headphones?

Based on your listening preferences, I would highly recommend Meze Audio 99 Classics. They are just above your suggested budget but, trust me, you will LOVE them.

2 Likes

they’re within the budget

1 Like

Salu2, @genio Are you able to get to a store where you can try a few noise cancelling headphones? Because they make their own noise. It might be what you want, and it might not.

A good closed back (hard to find at $200) or an IEM - like Etymotic - might be more suited. I know for sure that the IEM can shut out more sound than noise cancelling. But I’m not fond of how they feel in my ears.

Unlike @rex4539, I don’t mind noise-cancelling, but I have not found $200 noise cancelling that ALSO have a particularly good sound. Among all of us, we will find you a good recommendation.

Think about what you like to listen for in music. Is it bass? Drums? Precise positioning of instruments? Cymbals that sound like cymbals? Feel free to post in Spanish if you have trouble describing in English. @SenyorC does all of his reviews in both languages. (But his Spanish — well it’s muy de españa).

6 Likes

So, ummm, a chair. I may want a chair.

But, I want a weird chair. Is anyone aware of a chair that can be both a decent office chair and a relaxing audio chair?

Context:

I am currently in my office instead of my library because that is where I am testing audio stuff. The library has a nice recliner where I can lean back, and put my feet up if I want to. I do that in my office by putting my feet on my desk, but it isn’t particularly comfortable.

I don’t have room in my office for another piece of furniture. So, is there an office chair that can be very comfortable for relaxed listening? But still be a good work chair?

Herman Miller Aeron.

6 Likes

Only thing is the Aeron doesn’t have an official headrest. You can buy a 3rd-party one though.

2 Likes

I have used an Aeron chair for work for the last 16 years. It’s a great work chair. But it is NOT a sit back and listen chair. It’s too upright and there’s no headrest.

2 Likes

I am thinking headrest and foot rest.

I think I am sitting in a clone of that chair, and it’s great for work. but, leaning back completely immersed in the music? Not on this clone. Can’t say the real thing wouldn’t be better.

Anyone seen/used something like this?