General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Thanks! Very cool options. The Innous isn’t cheap is it lol…

From what I’m seeing, unless I’m missing something, the Auralic will play Apple Music and Spotify if you have another device plugged into it - so this sort of puts me back at square one as I need to hook up a computer into the mix. BUT, this might be the best route to take. As mentioned before, I have a couple of mini’s laying around unused. I wonder if something like a Mac mini to a Audiophilleo2 MKII would make sense? I’ve only just heard about them and have no clue if they are even needed. Also, the Holo May KTE supposedly is able to clean the signal from USB. But I am not certain of this.

I know most people are looking to direct play, or local stream lossless content. But streaming (w/ Apple at least) has caught up here. Getting it to the DAC in the cleanest / easiest way however, is becoming a bit of a challenge.

The Mac Minis are generally not noisy. I run Qobuz and ROON on mine, with a short USB cord to the Schiit Bifrost2.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback on this.

One thing I wouldn’t know how to tell, is if there is noise, would I know without plugging in another device that was designed for this specifically. Even the ALLO DigiOne Signature has 2 separate power outlets with a separate board to separate noise. Now, I know a Mac mini is long ways from a raspberry pi, but you see what I’m saying.

Going from entry to summit in this hobby within 2 months is fast. And I won’t say that that’s a wrong thing to do, but I think you’ve been making choices on individual components without carefully laying out how all components of your final system will connect and work together, and under which conditions each component will operate at their optimum.

You don’t want to use Roon, but you bought the Holo May. I assume that this is because of the large amount of glowing reviews and happy owners, but you missed a crucial area of information, namely the software side of things. I know a lot of May owners, and I don’t know a single May owner who doesn’t use Roon with HQPlayer to get the most out of their May. Likewise I’ve also heard repeatedly that if you don’t want to use Roon with HQPlayer, the May might not be exactly the right choice of DAC for you. This is just the trend I have observed among people who own, have owned or have demoed a May.

I don’t mean to tell you what you should do here. I just mean to inform you on things I have observed that you might want to look into more carefully, and potentially reconsider some of your choices to avoid ending up with a bottlenecked system due to poor synergy throughout your system, from your sources of music all the way to the air wiggling into your ear canals.

This is just 1 key problem I’m pointing out here, but there could be more things that might require some better planning. It takes most people in this hobby years before they feel like they’re comfortable and confident enough to take the step into the terrain you’re entering after just 2 months in the hobby. I hope you understand that I really only mean to help you here to avoid pitfalls you might be unaware of.

11 Likes

I appreciate the feedback, and I hope my response doesn’t come across in a negative manner. I understand you’re trying to help. However, there appears to be several assumptions made that simply aren’t true, and don’t provide any specific solutions. Just opinion on perceived problems I’ve caused for myself (as I perceive what was written).

Some of the components were planned. For example, the CBRN’s and Carbon CC’s. From what I understand, it’s an incredible paring. For the LCD-5’s, I spoke to various people, and while some had opinions, many hadn’t heard them personally (let alone paired with many of the amps currently in stock anywhere).

However, behind the scenes, I’ve been speaking to some experience people that have been helping answer questions for me on various things (including Torq). That’s what drove me to the CBRN’s, Carbon CC, and DNA amps (which are a year out).

The thing is, being that I’m new to this, I don’t have a “final system” yet (does anyone really ever?). I don’t know if I ever will. And, as I get into one part of it and think I’m done, 3 more doors open to further possibilities, and I explore. If I’m 80% correct on end game gear, that’s still going to be better than the 80% I’d be with mid tier gear that’s very likely to sound inferior. I also enjoy the journey more than the destination in many cases - this one likely being one of them (so far at least). I love digging in, testing, etc.

Additionally, being that this is all subjective, the best way I know to go about it all, is to try and put together parings that others have loved and hope I do as well. And, if I don’t like it, I sell the gear and keep looking. This approach has worked very well for me over the years.

Unfortunately, I don’t have an option to simply go demo much of this gear (let alone use it for many weeks to months to get to a comfortable place) - unless you want to start sending me your stuff? There’s no one that I know of that has a set of CBRN’s, let alone a Carbon CC, for example. And until a few weeks ago, no one had the LCD-5’s, nor heard them, and couldn’t personally attest to what the best paring would be.

Regarding the Holo + HQPlayer combo, I am aware that it’s a recommended route. It’s also one I am very open to considering. I even discussed this specific topic w/ Torq via email. However, many of the reviews / feedback I’ve seen on it are also from those that aren’t using HQPlayer, and still felt it was amazing. You said that I “missed this crucial area of information”, but how can you make that claim? I literally have back and forth emails that factually disprove this statement. Furthermore, I can’t possibly know what I think of it until I hear it. So again, I’m trying to make the right choices based on a bunch of feedback, and regardless of it all, I still have to determine if I like it. For all I know, I may hate the CBRN / Carbon CC combo after all. And, it was a carefully laid out, “final system” (as likely considered by many).

Additionally, I’ve never said I don’t want to use HQPlayer anywhere, ever. I don’t know where you got that from, but I’m absolutely not against it. I only said that I preferred to stream music if possible. But that I also setup (and still have it setup) a Roon server w/ music on a local NAS. It’d take 2 seconds to turn it back on if that was the only way to get the best out of my system. But looking for alternatives won’t take that option away from me. That’s why I’m in this thread, asking about that specific possibility, before buying something more - which ironically is what you’re recommending I do while commenting in (perceived) opposition to how I’m approaching it.

None of this is permanent here. It can all be resold, returned, etc. But, knowing the desire is to go to the end, buying and selling mid tier gear again and again will absolutely cost me more money (and a bunch of time). I know this from doing it with home audio / video (for example, I should have bought my Trinnov the first chance I could afford it many years ago as it’d have saved me 10’s of thousands of dollars, easily). Should I take the years that others have to learn this all first? And who judges “poor synergy throughout your system”, then guarantees against that? Even you yourself said, “there could be more things that might require some better planning”. What action should someone take from that? What part is objective? Being that that statement can always be the case from whoever writes that statement, so how does that help me here?

I fully understand that I won’t have the knowledge of someone does that’s been in this space for years. But does that mean that I should move at a subjective speed here? Or should I buy things slower because I could / might require better planning?

Again, not to come across as negative here. I’ve had this situation happen before (on this thread and others), and it’s a bit frustrating. Don’t get me wrong, I’m NOT against feedback and advice… If someone has an objective stance on something, I’m all ears. BUT if they’re going to imply I’m doing things wrong (ie. missing crucial area of information, saying I didn’t want to use HQPlayer, etc), and that I "reconsider some of my choices, I’d like them to come with accurate facts, objective feedback, and solutions. I’d prefer they not tell me all the ways they think I’m doing it wrong. Tell me what / why there’s another way to look at this that may yield better results based on XYZ information.

Apologies for the long reply BTW, and again, I write this with a very friendly tone that doesn’t seek to offend in any way. It’s simply my perspective is all.

1 Like

Roon has a radio playlist function just like Spotify does. It works best if you pair Roon with a subscription to Tidal or Qobuz.

As for using Apple Music or Spotify, you can consider a streamer that can do AirPlay or Spotify Connect. I think something like the Cambridge CXN or the Blue Sound Node are two relatively inexpensive units that can do something out of the box. Heck you can even use a $29 Chromecast Audio if you wanted to and use optical to your system as a start.

7 Likes

I don’t get information from reviews, I get my information from people who paid their own hard-earned money on the product itself because they wanted to own it. Someone who has had a May on loan for review, will likely say that it sounds amazing. But what if it cost you 5 grand? That’s when people start scratching their head quite a lot more.

I’m not exaggerating when I say that out of the 10+ people I know who own a Holo May, not a single one of them doesn’t use Roon + HQPlayer with it. A lot of things are very much down to preference, but when consensus is seemingly unanimous among a sample size of people who own a May which they all paid for with their hard-earned cash? I’d say the chance that you’ll disagree with all of those people is negligible.

Because if you don’t want to use Roon, you’re going to have a horrible time with HQPlayer. This isn’t an exaggeration, Roon makes HQPlayer actually usable.

Yet you’re only exploring products that are at the very least a couple grand.

Me personally, I have explored quite a lot of the high-end market in the last 2 years, heard a lot of ultra-expensive gear, owned a bunch of expensive gear myself too. Which headphones did I end up with in the end that get the most use? A 15 year-old, early revision Sennheiser HD650, which I paid €250 for. I also own a Meze Empyrean, which I paid the full €3000 for. But I use my old, trusty HD650 more, because on my tube amp, it just sounds beautiful, not quite TOTL in terms of resolution, but I just don’t care because it still sounds beautiful in a way that feels correct and comforting to me. And I’m also still very happy with my Empyrean, but I’m not ashamed to admit that I don’t use it as much as my more than 10x cheaper HD650, and no headphone that I have tried in the top dollar brackets can truly surpass it to a degree that I care enough to pull out my wallet and upgrade it. Because it’s simply not true that cheap headphones can’t have any real merit over multi-kilobuck flagship headphones. And sometimes what you get when paying those flagship prices just doesn’t even matter all that much anymore in the end.

Not a single headphone is perfect. Even when you find something that actually feels perfect to you in every way, after a while you might find that you’re missing the charm of certain imperfections that gave colour and character to the sound in a tasteful manner. So even a perfect headphone wouldn’t actually be perfect, because perfection also implies the absence of character/personality, which you’ll view as imperfection when you get fully accustomed to using that headphone. So no, there is no finish line in this hobby. Trying to pursue that finish line is like a dog chasing its own tail.

I haven’t followed your adventure here prior to my initial reply here, so forgive me if I’m giving you feedback that you’ve gotten before. All I’m sharing here are my own opinions based on my own experience in this hobby. I’m confident that you’ll not want to use HQPlayer if you don’t integrate it into Roon, I’d even be willing to bet a lot of money on that. That’s still my opinion, but it’s not helpful at all to tell you that “maybe you’ll like HQPlayer without Roon”, because anyone who is familiar with HQPlayer and Roon will agree that that’s just not going to happen. Once you get to try it out yourself, you’ll understand very quickly why I’m so certain about that. You can download the trial version for free, so you can verify that very easily and free of charge.

I understand that it’s frustrating to feel like everyone is criticizing you, but when several people give you the same kind of feedback on different occasions, that probably just means that several people are noticing the pitfalls you’re setting yourself up for falling into. We don’t say it to bully you or anything, we say it because you’ll be pissed if you start falling into all of those pitfalls which no one ever warned you about, you’ll lose a lot of money fto those mistakes and you won’t feel like this is a trustworthy place anymore.

You’re trying to find your way in the TOTL range of headphone systems with hardly any experience. I don’t think it’s our feedback that frustrates you, but rather the growing realization that you’re just out of your depth here and you’re gonna have to figure things out yourself, because we can’t figure everything out for you. We can only offer you directions.

9 Likes

All I can say is don’t overthink this. You have the minis; just try it. If there is “noise” that you can’t hear, it’s sort of like the sound of one hand clapping. I, and others find little or no detectable noise from most minis.

The obvious suspect might be a USB connection. I’ve tried this with the BF2, which has the “Unison” USB that is very good. Some people say they can hear a difference if the BF2 is fed via TOSLINK. I have also used the mini (mine’s a late 2014) with an iFi xDSD and with a couple of Audioquest Dragonfly DACs. I’m not in a good position to A/B them, but I think that the BF2 with its more advanced USB is quieter. Mostly noted on small Jazz ensembles, duets, classical trio and quartet music. And solo piano (not so much guitar, even classical, as typically there are sounds from strings, fingers, and the hollow body). My amplification is either balanced to a Mjolnir modified STAX tube amp and old STAX headphones or the Hive Nectar estat, or single ended to the Schiit Lyr 3 and Hifiman HE-560 or Grado RS1e. At least those are the usuals. Not as TOTL as you have, but resolving enough that I should hear any noise that is there.

7 Likes

This, precisely this.

7 Likes

@Adam_Z - With all that great gear, you might also consider a minimum extra investment of a Qobuz (or Tidal) subscription for higher quality - Spotify is great for finding music or social sharing of lists, but Qobuz provides better quality on another platform once you’ve found those tracks—at least how I think of it.

9 Likes

@Pappaboomboom - 80 is the new 60!

2 Likes

My 60 feels like the new 80.

1 Like

It’s actually not this. The frustration is others making subjective assumptions & claims (without validation- which I pointed out above) because I bought a bunch of gear and was seeking a specific outcome they don’t think is the right one.

I did in fact seek advice on much of what I purchased, and much of what I bought is based on that. Now that that point has been confirmed, it’s conveniently omitted from any response. The narrative is still that I’m in over my head, and that’s why I’m frustrated…

The feedback on the May was also from people that paid for it. But, the convenient argument is to assume that the only feedback was from paid reviewers. Once again, an assumption without validation…

And, my not want to use Roon for the network streaming device I’m looking to setup does not mean that I cannot / will not use Roon if it later becomes the ideal route. Again, another assumption without validation.

The problem here, is too many believe there’s only one path forward, and my desire with one device completely omits the possibility of any other additional paths used. You’re latching on to false perspectives on my situation, and making assumptions.

But sure, I’m frustrated because I’m in over my head…

I will end with these last two points. This is one of the worst groups I’ve ever dealt with in a hobby like this. I’ve only approached this group with respect and polite candor. From my initial first posts to this forum, I’ve had people essentially attack me (with the mods apologizing for their behavior in a PM to me). I’ve NEVER dealt with new people into the home theater space like this. Nor would I ever… Because that’s the worst way to help others.

From what I have gathered, many of you seemingly (as I perceive these responses) have this belief that I some how need to earn my place before I’m worthy of your feedback. Unfortunately, this couldn’t be further from the truth. And because of this, I’ll do my very best to avoid this entire group going forward however possible. I’m fine with objective feedback, but that’s not close to what’s being offered.

Instead of helping me with a network streamer, you have repeatedly detailed the thread to how I’m subjectively wrong in so many ways (with assumptions based on zero validation). So thank you for that…

1 Like

There are other forums you could try if you don’t like it here. Avoid SBAF though cause you will get ripped apart quicker and more harsh than here.

I think what most people are frustrated with is the fact you come in, waving and hollering about how you spend whatever much in 2 channel, that you deserve to be treated a certain way and have your hand held along the way. You haven’t really offered much insight or value to the forum yet (sure this could be because you are just joining and are trying to get the gear first) but you come in and want to be helped by everybody who are here and have already offered great insight into almost all the gear you have asked about through the threads and if you did some reading you would find that information without having it hand fed to you.

Another thing that probably rubbed many people the wrong way is how entitled it was to come into the threads and whine that people/companies aren’t nice enough to answer every single questions you have. You come (again common factor) complaining how the representatives aren’t hand feeding you all your questions. You aren’t entitled to peoples advice here, and you come into an established community and essentially want things your way and get mad when its not your way.

What exactly would this stand for you? Everything in this is pretty subjective even if the recommendations you get, people like or dont like things based their subjective experiences.

I don’t think thats worth anyones time, the fact you are getting subjective feedback at all is helpful. We shouldn’t have to write dissertations for you to get feedback on what you should swipe your card on.

You have no real experience so how do you know what they like or recommend is applicable to you anyways? Again just their subjective experience, not objective.

I don’t really care one way or the other if you stay or go, but I would also try to reflect toward yourself and ask why are you the only one who is having these problems when there are dozens/hundreds people on this forum. Nobody else is really having these problems, and while its easy to take the victim mentality, its often best to also reflect inward.

Anyways, while this first experiences between people here and you hasn’t been the best, hope you are able to become a contributing member to the community and offer valuable insights that you gleam on your journey in personal audio.

Happy Thanksgiving

10 Likes

Could we all tone it down just a bit? I’d like @Adam_Z ’s budget @Torq ’s experience and ear, @SenyorC ’s perfect bilingualism @prfallon69 ’s manners and @MRHifiReviews photography skills. I could go on, but I’m just me.

I’d like to point out that @Adam_Z has repeatedly pointed out that he is new to this hobby. Y’all need to keep that in mind and figure he will need a year with his new stuff to understand what he really likes.

We’ve had lots of newbies come on here reading every specification in the book and making sophomoric comments to people that understand things much more than I do. You know who you are and you got better. @Adam_Z has repeatedly sought good advice, and I for one think he just needs more time. And @Adam_Z, this is the exception to the “time is money” rule because there is no alternative to just getting the experience.

So please folks, if you are going to write something as long as this please try to say something nice in at least every other paragraph.

Done with my Thanksgiving rant, please have another piece of :pie:

13 Likes

It can be hard to read tone on the internet, or know how other people will read things, and I can see those wires getting crossed a few times here for reasons I don’t believe would be useful to litigate.

I hope that Adam finds a community he’s a better fit for, and that all of you are full to the brim on Turkey.

4 Likes

I’ve been reasonable with you, and provided you with as lot of extra elaboration. And this is how you respond.

Let me remind you of a reply you got on your very first post here;

You skipped right past this advice and made decisions exactly opposite to each piece of advice given here. Instead, you chose to follow up on some of the fancy products you were suggested, and chose to ignore synergy and preference aspects.

You also didn’t try and explain your preferences in home theatre beyond what you said in your very first post, I’ll split your journey and your lessons learned to make it more readable.

You’re BIG in HT, you spent 6 figures, then you spent more money, then you had a pretty high-end system.

Your lesson learned? Save your money to get to the top dollar loot faster.

And the more we challenged your obsession for spending money and reluctance to learning about what you’re spending money on, you’ve only gotten more and more aggressive. Yeah, I’m done here. This is a lost cause.

6 Likes

I think a lot of this boils down to enthusiast mindset vs consumer mindset. Both want to make smart choices with their money, but I feel like an enthusiast is looking to better understand and experience the gear but usually the consumer just wants “the best one” or “the best value”. Again, I’m not saying that’s necessarily wrong and people will always try to get good value for their hard earned money

BUT, I think though, if you show up to the headfi enthusiast saloon and say “I know you all enjoy learning about headphones, sources and amps, but I don’t, so which ones are the best because I don’t want to be a fool (like most of you) and waste money on anything but the best”. Not only is it sophomoric, but it’s kind of picks a fight with the whole enthusiast philosophy.

I’m not saying that’s what was said exactly and I realize this is the purchase advice thread too, but I still think the context here of an enthusiast community is important. Sorry for the rant, can I blame all the Turkey/pie/wine?

8 Likes

I’ll go on the record and say I like the May in nos mode. Auralic and Innuos software is designed to efficiently use the according hardware. Both can stream over your network to a nas, same as roon but does not have hqplayer. Both companies can be used as a roon endpoint and the Innuos can be set up as a roon server. Auralic works extremely well over wifi where Innuos is hardwired only but you can set up an extender in your network and hard wire it to the extender. I’ve gone from the ipad, to mac air and tried windows. Moving to the Auralic was a more detailed experience but of course at a higher price point. The Aries G1 is a perfect point for wireless streaming and/or a roon endpoint. Innuos has a better software package and hard drives work properly with Innuos where the Aries G2.1 they suggest you don’t use a hard drive, kind of funny in my opinion. I can’t compare roon with hqplayer as I’ve never set one up and I don’t think I will honestly.

4 Likes

For what it’s worth, I’m a newbie who did spend a lot of money out of the box but did so through (I hope!) respectful questions and changes in behavior based on the advice I received.

I’ve found this community helpful and patient, even when some of us want to skip past the learning stage. I just think there’s an obligation to listen and consider the advice you’re seeking.

9 Likes