General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

What’s the best headphone to buy if the Legend X is my favorite IEM? Eyeing the Utopia for its slam, but it’s more neutral.

1 Like

LCD 4 or the Final Audio D-8000.

The Abyss 1266 TC have great slam but their ergonomics are really finicky. Placement of the ear cups is very crucial.

1 Like

What will you be using as your amp? You’ve previously posted that you have a Qudelix 5k, so are you looking for a portable solution? You need to make sure that the Qudelix can drive whatever you buy.

If you have a Utopia-level budget and you’re looking for more bass, then the Focal Stellia would work, and is very easy to drive. I’ve used the Stellia with both my ifi GO blue and xDSD Gryphon while travelling.

But if you’re looking for a desktop setup, then I think it would be better to split that budget up into a DAC, amp and cheaper headphone instead of using a Qudelix and TOTL headphone.

3 Likes

Some more info:

I have an Atom stack, an ifi hip DAC, and the Qudelix.

I really value portability/driveability and comfort.

Headphones I own:

Clear
Radiance
HD800S (gaming)
E-MU Teak
Sundara

Hey guys! Would anyone have any recommendations for gaming headphones? Mostly competitive FPS. I already own the JDS Labs Atom/Dac combo. I also have the Beyer-Dynamic Tygr 300Rs, Sennheiser 599s, Blessing 2s as well. Just looking to get some better audio.

The type of headphone/amp/DAC I am looking for is (Closed-back, open-back, in-ear, wireless, etc): Open-back or Closed-back

My price range is: $500 or less

I like to listen to: Rap, RnB, Jazz, Blues, Classic

I will be using them for: (Travel, commuting, home, gym, etc…): Gaming, Youtube, Movies

Any non-ChiFi companies out there that make a really solid single dynamic IEM? Something that’d be like my ER2XR (or SR for that matter) but better

Sennheiser IE series?

4 Likes

The Dorado is a hybrid! ……But Dynamic dominant :+1:

&

my very personal recommendation to drive these two:

or:

Not only does it look good, it also sounds exceptionally good in this combination.

1 Like

I always forget about Sennheiser for some reason.
Most of the impressions I’ve read on CA IEMs makes them seem like they’d be too bassy for my prefs. The other NA/Euro manufacturers I know of seem to be focused on BA or hybrid, and I’m set for those types. Just need a good DD - not to say my Ety isn’t good, and I think I’m good on the IEM front (anything I’d buy afterwards is just gravy :smiley:)

So which DAC do you think fits better in between a Melco N100 and a Ferrum stack?
I 'm torn between a Spring 3 KTE, Gustard X26 pro!
Can’t get an Yggy over here!
Which one between those two! Anything else?

Clear OG, Kennerton Magi for now, looking for a planar later…
Electronic music, Techno, D&B, Ambient

Looking at buying either the hifiman edition xs or focal elex or other recommendations around $600

Listen to mostly EDM and rock but also classical and acoustic

I’d personally go with the Elex based on your music preferences. They’ll punch harder than the others and take a bass shelf nicely. With that said, if you listen super loud and add a bass shelf, you might clip the driver - just something to be aware of.

5 Likes

I don’t own the Edition XS but the Sundara is very underwhelming for EDM compared to my Focal headphones (Clear, Radiance).

Another option might be the E-MU Teak, which I own and is great for EDM. But it’s more of an on-ear headphone for me.

1 Like

What amp do you have or plan to use? Focal headphones are generally easy to drive and sound decent on a mobile device, tablet, or notebook computer. HiFiMan and planar headphones typically need a strong desktop amp with good current delivery for their best performance. Also consider their product reliability history.

5 Likes

Thanks. I heard reports of the driver clipping but resolve said in his review he couldn’t get it to clip (and he was trying to) but I don’t listen super loud so it shouldn’t be an issue.

The amp I plan on getting is the geshelli e2. It shouldn’t have any issues driving either.

I have heard on hifimans qc issues in the past but reviews of their more recent products say they have improved in this area. The focal is definitely better built though.

What brand would you recommend for planars? Audeze?

When you make a buying decision a lot of things may be considered in addition to brand and model. First your use case, which you have some idea about but may not have examined. How long do you plan to keep these headphones? What other ones or styles do you plan to buy? How important is comfort – especially if you will be listening for a long time?

I can tell from some of the things you said that you have some experience. Where have you been in the journey? Where are you now. Do you know in your heart and wallet if this is an end game or just a step along the way? If that’s the case then consider resale and used. Also return policy.

Be careful when you get a response to your exact question if you really needed to formulate a different question.

Enough of my old fossil blathering, welcome to the forum

2 Likes

I’d personally move a step up from the Geshelli for general use, and also away from its technical sound profile toward something easier on the ears. Examples include the Schiit Jotunheim 2, Schiit Lyr 3, RebelAmp, various Burson amps, etc. I myself favor Class A amps as sounding smoother, fuller, and more integrated. My primary solid state amp is a RebelAmp.

HiFiMan QC…well I bought a pair after the issues were said to be over…mine died in about 13 months and just out of warranty. Best of luck if you go that route.

1 Like

Yeah, you should be fine then. I was never able to get my Elex to clip.

2 Likes

I’ve never had any issue whatsoever with my Focals clipping.