General purchase advice: Ask your questions/for advice here!

Insurance premiums are set by the observed historical costs required for given profile (e.g., A 24 year old male driving a Subaru WRX costs more to insure than middle-aged woman with Toyota Corolla).

The total premium costs =

1. Historical cost of coverage for a given profile (or personality with many claims)
  2. Business overhead (labor hours, rent, taxes, etc.)
  3. Marketing/advertising (YOU pay for the lizard and for Flo…I therefore choose insurance based on firms producing fewer ads…)

Filing any claim at all shifts you from the ‘low risk’ profile to the ‘at risk’ profile. Multiple claims shift you to the ‘high risk’ profile.

6 Likes

I have received, but not yet put the RPi4/Pi2AES Audio Shield unit together yet, but am needing to find out when streaming from my iPhone XR if there will be any limitations on the resolution of the stream to the Pi4/AES unit. I know AirPlay only streams at a maximum resolution of 16 bit/ 44.1kHz, but since the Pi4/AES will be hardwired to my modem, I did not know if the iphone was capable of streaming at a better resolution over WiFi (I believe AirPlay is over WiFi, so maybe not…). I currently hardwire connect my iPhone to my Schiit Modius and Asgard 3 stack via the USB connection and am able to get HiRes songs, via Amazon Music HD, to play up to 24/192. Like the stations on Amazon, probably the main reason I am sticking with that for now. Will be trying Qobuz eventually.

The Pi4/AES streamer will likely be sold if I can only stream CD quality to it from my iPhone. I wanted to connect the Pi4/AES via AES connection to my Modius, instead of using the current Unison USB, hear the AES connection is better.

If you aren’t using airplay then I would imagine there wouldn’t be a limitation, but leave it to Apple to prove me wrong. My honest answer is I don’t know. I don’t use Apple stuff.

Considering to get a Little dot MKII used with after market tubes for $150 or maybeI will go the Asgard 3 route (just amp), I currently own iems (nothing fancy) mostly $150 and below, I also own headphones, also nothing fancy, AKG K712 Slovakia, Hifiman 4xx, Grado SR80, amp wise I currently have the Magni 3+, Archel 2 Pro and the little dot 1+ (hybrid tube), any advantage/gain getting the Little dot MKII or Asgard 3 based on my gear or should I just be happy with the amps I have? Thanks for any advice.

2 Likes

I never really wanted to go to the “dark side”, because I was not a fan of their proprietary way of doing things. They make great stuff, but do not like the “all in” scenario they have. I need to figure out if the only way an iPhone can stream is via AirPlay, which I think it may be from what I can find on the Google…

1 Like

Hi, wanted to weigh in on your deliberations before you give up in the Pi2AES. The limitation may appear to be with Apple and AirPlay, but in reality it is an Amazon HD limitation as they have select hardware partners to enjoy the HD content:

If you have flexibility in other Hi Rez streaming services you can install other software on the RPi that would allow you to stream higher resolution from your iPhone. Something like Volumio is one option; https://volumio.org/volumio-overview/

They have Tidal and Qobuz integration. There are other options out there too if that one is not to your liking.

So nothing to do with the “Dark Side”, even an Android device would not help you in this situation as Amazon Music HD does not support Chromecast.

6 Likes

You’re absolutely right about Amazon HD and their limitations. I have thought about keeping them for their stations and discovery and adding Qobuz for my home Hi Res streaming, but was unsure about the resolution via an iPhone. From what I have read, even some of their partners have glitchy interactions with Amazon HD (Bluesound being one).

I know Volumio is one of the suggested programs to use with the Pi2AES and I have looked at their website. If I can stream bit perfect through Volumio, then that may be the way to go. I also would like to be able to use some type of EQ if I stay with the Pi2AES and I believe Volumio has a basic EQ plugin you can add. Have also looked at buying a Loki for that purpose. Would ideally like a parametric EQ, but these seem to be possible solutions that will get me on my way. Thanks for the input, very helpful!

3 Likes

I’m interested in A/B testing DACs and headphone amplifiers, but so far haven’t had much success identifying RCA and 6.35mm switch boxes. For DAC testing, I’m thinking it would make sense to have a 2-into-1 RCA switch box behind whatever amp I’m using, and to connect the two DACs I’m testing to that. For A/Bing amps, a 2-into-1 6.35mm switch box seems the logical approach, but my online searches have so far drawn a blank. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

2 Likes

I know this is way too much money, but an interested concept that is used at a lot of Audio shows by a lot of vendors. The AVA ABX Switch Comparator. https://avahifi.com/collections/used-demo-and-quick-ship/products/abx-switch-comparator. What nice about this device is that it also works on speakers.

1 Like

I use a passive pre with upto 3 DAC’s feeding a 1-5 switch with the amps connected, I just swap plugs on the headphones, but I’m not doing that to be able to A/B.
One thing I will warn you of is it’s very difficult to identify changes in equipment on short bursts of music, If you want to hear the difference, you need to listen extensively ideally with material your familiar with, then swap.
I like the Steve Guttenburg methodology personally, use a piece of equipment extensively for a week or so then swap back to what you were using before and see if you miss it. This to me takes the can you describe the difference part out of the equation.

4 Likes

This will work, but is 1/8" and RCA: https://rolls.com/product/SS32

I’m looking for a switch/passive pre-amp to hook up my BF2 DAC to my Lyr 3 and upcoming Pendant amps, not for A/B testing, but just to make it easy to listen to whatever setup suits my mood that day. I also don’t want to spend much on it, so the cheaper the better for me.

I decided to trawl through a certain notorious forum that values measurements over sound quality, my reasoning being that for a switch, you actually want it to contribute nothing to the sound, so measurements are probably important.

They seemed to like the following (in no particular order):

1. Schiit Sys, which can be run 1-in-2-out or 2-in-1-out. That forum normally hates the measurements of Schiit products but the Sys got a really good “audio science” review. I’ll probably buy the Sys as I trust the brand, I don’t need any more ins or outs and it’s cheap.
  2. TC-7240. I don’t believe this was actually reviewed but it had a lot of support from the members.
  3. Nobsound 1-in-4-out. This can also be run 4-in-1-out. I don’t think this particular model was reviewed, but a balanced Nobsound switch got a good review, and that forum seemed to like the Nobsound brand. There doesn’t appear to be a dial or button to switch between the various inputs/outputs, if that makes a difference.
2 Likes

I’m not a fan of “automatic selection” devices like the Nobsound you listed.

It’s only a matter of time until it makes the wrong decision and your ear or another piece of gear gets blasted with a full-volume burst.

Everyone has their own experience and preferences but if you go that way at least do it by deliberate choice.

Yes, I agree with you. For me personally, the choice was down to the Sys and the TC-7240, with the Sys probably winning on price. Also, there’s something annoying about seeing “mp3” printed on the front of the TC-7240. I know they did that so that you can select the 3.5mm input, but I wish they had labeled it as “3.5mm”. It’s funny, I’m not anti-mp3 so I don’t know why I find it annoying.

I think it’s the idea of it. We put all this effort into research and selecting gear and then having “1980 Walkman!” shoved in our face when we’re running our best gear.

Hey, I’m not that guy! :wink:

1 Like

I used the Sys for quite a while as an AB switch. Works well. Seems transparent in the chain too. Cheap.

2 Likes

What’s wrong with the good old Y-splitters? If you only have one amp turned on, it shouldn’t affect the sound.

Anyway, a couple of more options:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008BMLXAU

The one below was actually a recommendation from someone in this forum. Here’s the post.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009MFRW0

Good luck. :+1:

2 Likes

I have the Audioquest adaptors to split the signal from my Modius - one to my Asgard 3 and the other to my home system stereo preamp. It was recommended to me by one of the fine folks here and it works great, can’t tell it is in the signal path.

1 Like

I have been using the Nobsound for a couple years now and I am very happy with it and would definitely purchase it again!

I run the output from my DAC into the Nobsound and then out to four different amps. I find it is fabulous when I want to fire up a few different headphones on a few different amps and want to change back and forth between the headphones. I find that I do this A LOT! - it’s fun and educational to easily compare the different sound of the 'phones in my collection. And, I honestly cannot hear that it is in signal path - there may be some signal degradation but I do not posses the ears to hear it. Remember, there is no selector switch - all outputs play simultaneously and are easily volume matched at each different amp…

The thing that has been the most enjoyable part of my system, and unanticipated, with the Nobsound in place has been when my friends and family stop in and I get 3, 4, or 5 people listening at the same time. It’s become a way to share a bit of my love and passion and it turns into a party when each of those folks start saying “Oh! play this…”

4 Likes

The part where you get 3-5 headphones going and everybody enjoying the track is also the reason I love having various DACs, amps and headphones, its make it a party every time and I’ve gotten many friends and family members to have a better appreciation for better gear.

2 Likes