Getting used to it - the benefits of owning multiple headphones

One of my friends has a cat, Crumbcake the Destroyer that was fascinated with headphone wires and pad. She destroyed (funny how she got that name) a pair of Sennheiser PX-100s.

Eventually, I figured out that headphones are safe if you have some Yeowww Stinkies’ Catnip Sardines to hand out. (I’m not associated with the link below, but it shows the product well)

1 Like

Notice duly taken :smiley:

My cat’s name is Murgatroyd, he was named after a character in one of my ex-wife’s favourite novels. He’s 18 years old but still prone to mischief despite severe arthritis. He’s asleep about 20 hours a day though, so easy to keep an eye on him. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Great thread! I have 4 headphones in rotation, on my desktop setup. I like to switch things up so things stay fresh and exciting. However, I like to keep my headphones all within a similar but slightly different flavor. This way, I am not completely confused and it does not take too long to adjust to the differences. I used to have some other headphones that sounded completely different than the other, and the differences were so huge, it made both headphones sound off, when I switched from one to the other. Not sure if this makes since, but even my iems have similar “warm sound sigs”, so when switching back and forth, I can hear a difference and it is fresh and exciting again, but it does not sound off, and take me days to adjust. For instance, I own an Ori and Alpha Prime, that have the same driver and similar sound, but they are different enough that one is better at certain genres, and I can switch back and forth between the 2, without either one sounding way off. That is just how I do it, because I really have a preferred sound sig, as in warm, wide, and thick, with great resolve. All my headphones, have these qualities, but excel in different areas within those qualities. I love this hobby!

Happy Saturday!

6 Likes

I’m with you on this. I like a neutral/warm headphone so that’s where I keep my range. Looking for differences in presentation, soundstage, transient response, etc. are what I’m looking for now.

But if I really like the way something sounds, then that trumps any prerequisites I may have. That’s what matters most, is the enjoyment.

3 Likes

We really seem to be on the same page! Those differences you listed, are spot on with what I have going on in my collection. As far as an outlier that sounds amazing for pure enjoyment, my Noble K10U are quite a bit brighter up top than I normally like, but they are so transparent and lifelike sounding, they are addicting to listen to.

1 Like

Nice. :grin:

1 Like

Absolutely lovely post and thread. I have 4 different headphones for 4 different purposes and 1 pair of IEMS to enforce and involve myself with Andrew’s point.

I’m also not very big into EQ’ing, so it makes me appreciate the original sound sig from the headphone manufacturer a whole lot more. This is a great thread and if anyone has any suggestions to add difference and diversity to my headphone collection feel free.
Thanks all and here is my list.

Blue MOFI from Blue Microphones.
Sony MDR Z7’s
Sennheiser HD 800 (classic model)
Audeze LCD XC
Campfire ATLAS’s

6 Likes

Concur, I’m also not into EQ all that much, but will hard mod on occasion.

2 Likes

Same here.

I’ll mod real hard. :+1:t4:

2 Likes