HeadAmp GS-X Mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/PreAmp

No sad face for a SPL!

3 Likes

If only it was purple.

Or black.

:wink:

3 Likes

Oh totally its an amazing amp, itā€™s that neverending journey of wanting to hear more equipment. :blush:

4 Likes

My SPL :cry: is it went back into its box and then the dreaded closet since GS-X Mini & Pendant are now all I know listen too. It is now hanging out with Weezy. :grin:

6 Likes

I have a Satin Grey one, Superior device IMO. Excellent craftsmanship. Use it for my balanced listening. Single ended goes to the two Amps and Sounds ampsā€¦

2 Likes

Nice review from William Murdock on the GS-X mini https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iZxYfTUUFo
I am glad I picked up Alps pot.

Greg

4 Likes

Nice I was waiting for his full review.

1 Like

Sold? What kind of volume control? Thanks!

Interested if you still have it but I canā€™t find the pm button sadly, if it is still for sale Pm me please.

I sold it on headfi. If I ever go looking for another ss it most likely be the mini again but the tube route has brought me the most happiness.

3 Likes

Does anyone know if itā€™s true that SE input is identical to XLR for the Mini? i.e. you donā€™t need XLR input to take advantage of itā€™s balanced circuitry?

My solution to this is a thin neoprene mat. You can get them in like 1m square size from Amazon for next to nothing and then cut them down to what you need. They add an epic amount of grip to pretty much anything. I use them to keep bookshelf speakers in place on floor stands, to keep the RPi4 w/ display in place on top of my Pxe (see Current Set-Up Pics - Official Picture Thread - #460 by cwichura), etc.

I have one of the first production models. Upgraded DACT Volume Control. Satin Grey. Very nice unit.

I found you have little more gain on the XLR circuit over the SE output. I drive it XLR in, XLR out.

1 Like

@angstorms

I really appreciate the detailed comparisons as your collection has evolved. I just acquired a pair of Stellias and 887 with the Modius this last week. I am loving the Modius and Stellia but not a fan of the 887 and have already begun processing its return.

In your comparisons I see you list the Stellia as a headphone you own but do not see any track/sound comparisons of them with your Phonitor/GSX/Pendant. I am looking for a complimentary amp to the Stellia in the ~$2000 range and would love your perspective on what brings out their best, Iā€™m already leaning towards the GSX as it has all my requirements to integrate into a full balanced desktop setup.

Thanks!

2 Likes

Stelia, are one of the most efficient headphones I have in my collection. Honestly they on my nightstand with Ipad attached to them. Yes the 887, was not my cup of tea either. I kept the Phonitor X and GS-X-Mini both are great amps. Also still have the ZMF pendant which is another great option.

My home office right now is RME DAC 2fs into Phonitor X ( set to mid-gain) power Hifiman Susvara. the hardest to drive headphones in my collection.

1 Like

I have a GSX-mini and it works great with just about anything. It even has enough juice to power hungry headphones HiFiMan HE6se. If you are looking for a solid state headphone amp, GSX-mini is a good choice.

Some nice choices in tubed amps as well.

1 Like

Iā€™m using the Mini with Susvara. Before trying it, I had assumed 4W in 50 ohms would be plenty of power but even fully balanced, the volume is at about 4 oā€™clock i.e. nearly maxed in order to get Susvara to my typical listening volume, which I would guess is 80~85dB. Ultimately enough power, but itā€™s barely enough.

1 Like

The Susvara is 60 ohms impedance and 83 dB/mW sensitivity. It should only require 1.6mW to produce 85 dB.

Most likely the Mini is receiving a very low input voltage from your DAC or whatever is feeding it. Is there a volume control somewhere ahead of it in the signal chain?

hit the gain switch on the front tell what happens.