HeadAmp GS-X Mini Balanced Headphone Amplifier/PreAmp

I have WA33 and see Woo charges a lot. My question is are you getting better matched tubes through Woo or going through different vendor be just as equal? By the way I’m finding better synergy with the HEDD on the mini vs tube. Has anyone else come to same conclusion?

2 Likes

Thanks @BondDaBoom THe Mini has his a new friend.

Bifrost is back, XLR into GS-X Mini, RCA into Pendent. RCA into both from the Chord Qutest. The Mini just love XLR input off the Bifrost.

I have to say you could get lost in both setups on a pair of Planners like HE-1000SE and RAD-0.
Now the ZMF Vertie is just special on Pendent.

With the HE-1000 Cat Power “I Have Been Loving to You Long” Vocal are more present on GS-X Mini.

• Now Amy Winehouse “Back to Black” is great on both.
  • Leading to The Man in Black, Johnny Cash “Hurt”
  • Following him is the modern man in black Nick Cave and Bad Seeds “Wide Lovely Eyes” & “People Ain’t No Good”
  • dive deep into your soul with Janis Joplin’s “Work Me, Lord”
  • how we are “Blowin’ in the Wind” Bob Dylan
  • I live you Rockin’ in the Free World" with Neil Young

For my current crop of Head Phone, I think I have found two amps to give me the balance of detail and lay back experience.

I will leave you one more with all that going in the world. “Shelter from the Storm” Bob Dylan

6 Likes

I just found myself drifting through "The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan album. GS-X mini with Bifrost and HE-1000 bring out so much richness. I just love how he strums and plucks his Guitar and pure vocals of simple story.

2 Likes

You’re gonna love that amp. Great collaboration by Zach and Justin.

I don’t have one, but know it will rock.

2 Likes

Thanks…Could you use a 12AV7 or 12AT7 to keep the noise down?

1 Like

Right now I loaded the Tubes BondDaBoom sent with it

• Baldwin 12AU7, 2 EL84
  • EZ81/6CA4

Have you asl looked at the EF86, this way we bring back in line with original AC15 design this based on? or 6Zh32P.

I never used a 12AV7, I am sure it would work, I saw old late 60’s RCA or Sylvania’s tubes I pick up for under $15 each

I have 12AT7 or what I know it as ECC81 for one of my Guitar amps,

For my guitars amps, I collected

• JJ 5751,
  • JJ ECC82,
  • JJ ECC81,
  • Electro-Harmonix 12Y7
  • Tong-Sol, JJ, Electro-Harmonix, Mullard 12AX7

On the current EZ81, I have never seen this brand

1 Like

When i was working on my Binson Echorec, one of my favorite people to talk to was Phil at Efectrode. He has one best understanding of tubes

Good place to start on Tube learning journey. TUBES

Mullard ECC83 (12AX7) Reissue vs Original – An Electrical Comparison
The ’12AX7′ Tube
The ’12AU7′ Tube
2 Likes

How did it get over there. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

1 Like

The Pendent, It is a beauty

2 Likes

Glad you’re enjoying it.

2 Likes

From the most Cliche movie of Mid 90’s , It is “Smokin”

Smokin

2 Likes

I have the Tube Lore II book and a 1977 substitution handbook. Lots to learn. but tubes are a very interesting topic.

2 Likes

I’m really confused. The GSX Mini isn’t a tube amp. What’s this with tubes then?

6 Likes

We just got talking’ about tubes. I have a GSX-mini, but two tubed amps as well.

Ok. I know I skip a few posts here and there in a thread, sometimes, but I was just baffled how the conversation went that way.

I was thinking “Are they trying to plug these tubes into the XLR plug? Someone should tell them that won’t work. They should know that though. Wait, maybe there is a tube version coming out soon? That can’t be, I talked to Justin the other day. We had coffee and… AHHHHH! What is going on?!?”

2 Likes

Honestly it because the people who own Headamp Mini currently, also own tube amps and there were a few questions about tubes for these amps.

Also, I picked up @BondDaBoom Pendent, who just also picked up Woo WA33, and @rrwwss52 he the third person in the community with this GS-X.

GS-X Mini Bellow the Pendent

I was looking at as well there is missing top-level subject on Tubes on the forum, what I found was about what tubes I have collected, I do not have the superpowers to move the post into a new subject

2 Likes

If I was rich I wouldn’t have sold the Pendant but I wanted to max out my 1266 as much as possible. The mini I don’t want to sell because one I waited a long time for it and it’s kinda like a collectors amp imo. So my current amp collection is
headamp gsx mini XIaudio formula s triple stack(thats what i call it) and Woo WA33,

3 Likes

Anyone want a GS-X mini satin blue in mint condition. Have all original items. PM me if interested.

3 Likes

That’s a great amp!!

1 Like

So tempted but currently have a SPL Phonitor E. Sad face :cry:

1 Like