Headphone amp recommendations

Another thing to be mindful of is Eddie Current is no longer around. They closed up shop so if you want one needs to be on the used market. But agreed I would say some good tubes around atm would be DNA, ECP, EC, and Glenn. There might be some more but at least those are ones I think are in for consideration in that $2k - $5k range

1 Like

That is true and think I came across that about EC, thanks. I’m less inclined to buy a unit where it’s less certain that it can be serviced by the manufacturer during the useful life going forward. Those line up with my findings: also Feliks, LTA, Decware, and maybe a couple others mentioned in this thread. I try to support local where possible. I also consider where the producer is in their life cycle and if in their prime (my opinion) - not too early, not too late. Granted, what matters most is what hits your ears.

1 Like

Someone on SBAF is selling their ZDS at a stupidly low price. I bought mine for $2.2K, this guy is asking $1800 I think?

No idea if it’s sold yet or not.

It’s one of the cleanest and more neutral sounding amps I’ve ever owned, with staging wider and deeper than any other tube amp I’ve heard either (except maybe the Aficionado), and it still has a very fluid character to the music.

It’s not a warm-poo amp.

Thought I’d mention it.

6 Likes

I almost jumped on that “just because”. A rare moment of sanity/clarity and acknowledgement of a severe, imminent, space-crunch, is all that stopped me …

6 Likes

Thanks for mentioning. Let me check it out.

2 Likes

$1750, which is a bonkers of a deal. I wish I could pick it up but have other things I already bought/planning to buy so that would throw a wrench in my plans

1 Like

It’s tempting. Any concerns with there being (at least) 2 prior owners?

1 Like

Honestly I don’t think there’s much to be worried about. Seems to be well maintained but as always buying used can be a bit risky. But from my experience in this hobby, especially some of the more niche products like higher end tube amps, they are usually very well maintained.

1 Like

10-4, that makes sense. When buying within the various communities, there probably is some self-policing/accreditation, especially for this amp where the 2 prior owners are identified and known.

1 Like

I often find people buying that “super” high dollar amp and find over time its not that much “better” than a much lower cost amp…then its selltime…interesting eh?

To me its a “try and buy” on a high dollar device…

3 Likes

Great point, and I was starting to think the same thing.

I’d also like to avoid chasing (not necessarily referring to this product) and then being disappointed. In my audio journey, I started with the KSC75s, and then making incremental advances, trying to get good performance and value, and avoid disappointment - even if it means not having the hyped latest and greatest.

3 Likes

IMO, best to find someone that has the gear your looking at and talk to them and if they have had it for several months, years etc…usually its most likely to be a good performer etc…

Also using these forums with all the folks that are really into this “stuff” their opinions are IMO very informative for the most part…

3 Likes

Sound advice, thanks. What’s the saying - people vote with their feet/wallet/rig/chain.

1 Like

How would you compare the Lyr 3 and Tuba with respect to added holography and 3d-ness, speed, sub-bass control, and available headroom? Are you able to speak to which might pair better with a ZMF Eikon and HD650? Thanks!

2 Likes

BH Crack is superb with high impedance cans…very euphonic…the Lyr 3 is good, the TUBA is ok…the overall sound presentation with the HD650 is OUTSTANDING with the Crack…again a open airy euphonic sound…nothing like it except maybe a Schitt Vahalla 2. The Crack is made to work well with high Z cans.

WIth the Lyr 3 its good but less euphonic…IMO
Alex

Bass with Crack to me is good, but better with the Lyr 3…but the bass with the Crack “fits” this euphoric sound…sounds like it belongs …

4 Likes

This is why I have a Crack. a Lyr 3 and a Jotenheim and a TUBA!!

:>)
Alex…all good!

1 Like

Thanks Alex. I had a feeling you were going to mention the Crack. Very helpful. Decisions!

1 Like

I am definitely appreciating and admiring your selective curation, especially considering what you’ve owned and no longer own!

3 Likes

If I knew what I know now i could be a rich man!!! HA!

But that would not be any fun now would it!!

Still seeking perfection…but I think I already have it or really close to it for what the technology is to day…

2 Likes

You cant go wrong with these amps…and if you dont like one they are an easy sell due to their strong popularity…

The only amp that is well kind of lop sided is the crack because its really made for high Z cans…so your senns and ZMFs and Beyers will work well, but stick a low Z can in. ie Grados and stuff below 100 ohms and its a downhill compromise…yes decisions.

1 Like