Headphone amp recommendations

Nah. Roughly double will do it, both the Bryston and the Gsx-Mini are audibly superior in certain aspects. The Burson sweet treble is hard to replicate without tubes, but if you prefer detailed presentation, moving on to a better solid state makes perfect sense.

4 Likes

The GSX-mini is an excellent, well crafted device. I have a first generation unit. It does put off a little heat if placed inside a cabinet. A component fan solves that issue. My primary reason for purchase was to have a solid state amp capable of running my HE6se. It does the trick, and sounds great.

2 Likes

Thanks for your input and tips. Iā€™m considering it as a high powered solid state to complement my tube amp(s).

1 Like

Rated 4w@50. There are beefier units out there, but the mini works well for me.

3 Likes

Hello,

Newbie to the forumā€¦planning to get a SW51+ to pair with Hd6xx but cant find a detailed take on headphones.com community. @ProfFalkin had a few insights into it that were indicative of its potential.

few pts. im not sure about, maybe you can chime in -

1. how does it differ from BHC ss?
  2. is the staging claustrophobic or narrowed in? how is the head staging with hd800s & 6x0 series?
  3. Does it have a tube like SS wrt liquidity & smoothness or is drier like Valhalla?
  4. Looks like its got the SS linearity, but does it bring out ā€˜any tube characteristicsā€™?

Whats your take on it? @ProfFalkin, feel free to help out pls :slight_smile:

Thanks!

Hi Profā€¦

Im planning to get a Sw51+ for Senn HD6xx. Had a few doubts, appreciate if you can help outā€¦

1. how does it differ from BHC sound signature? What does BHC do better?
  2. is the staging claustrophobic or narrowed in? With 6xx and Ares2 dac on class A amp, the head staging is slightly better. Does sw51+ sound closed in?
  3. Does it have a tube like SS wrt liquidity & smoothness or is drier like Valhalla?
  4. Looks like its got the SS linearity, but does it bring out ā€˜any tube characteristicsā€™?

Thanks prof!

1 Like

Hello Members.
I have multiple headphones and amps and I am looking for suggestion and recommendation for amp pairing. The headphones are HD600, HD650, HD800 (SDR modded), ZMF Auteur, Audio-Technica ADX5000, Hifiman Ananda and HE6SEv2.
The amps are Auralic Taurus mk2, Cayin HA1A mk2 and Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid.
Would i benefit if add an OTL / SET tube amp as most of the HPs I have are high impedance 300 Ohms? If so, can I get recommendations from the members, for the a good SET / OTL (below 1000$) that would pair well with most of my headphones while complementing my existing amps?
Thanks

2 Likes

While I love tubes more than life itself, I was shocked to find my ZMF Aeolus actually sounds best on a solid state amp. The tubes are fun though and were worth the price of admission just for the fun. So, perhaps you might look into tubes just for the fun factor instead of an upgrade? Your amplifier collection is quite amazing already. I would say save your money unless you are just looking to broaden your fun factor. But then again, you did come here to spend money didnā€™t you?

1 Like

It really depends on what sound you want to go after as all those headphones might not necessarily synergize well with one amp. That being said, the Quicksilver amp is great if you want something on the more neutral side of things.

Hereā€™s an article I found about it that details headphone pairings, DAC pairings, and comparisons to other various amps. It is quite in-depth and worth a look at.

7 Likes

Of your planar headphones I own the Ananda, and HE6SE V2. Of your dynamic driver headphones I own only the Sennheiser HD6XX but a different ZMF. It seems that you are looking to add some zest to your dynamic high impedance dynamic driver headphones which is why you mentioned OTL?

Of you amplifiers I own only the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid. I say that you already have a wonderful collection as your HE6SE and Ananda are likely performing at your expectations. While I own many more hybrid amps compared to OTL amps, OTL brings so much more character to listening. So, I shall share with you my experience with OTL.

I own a Darvoice 336SE $250 which has burn in complications that many are not willing to deal with. However, those that are able to, find the 336SE an amplifier that is extremely capable with many high impedance headphones such as yours. This is my third favorite amplifier to run my ZMF Aeolus from and being located in India I would assume that you might easily obtain one? Anyhow, I speak fondly of this amplifier because it has brought me the most fun per dollar. $15 for a Russian driver tube and a multitude of options for driver tubes starting at $5 makes this a very fun amp to roll tubes on.

At $270 comes my Little Dot Mk III. This amplifier does not scream tube amplifier as the Darkvoice does. I do not enjoy rolling tubes with it as much and my experience with it does not feel exceptional. It does pair well with my dynamic driver headphones. However, I donā€™t achieve the level of excitement that the Darkvoice brings when tube rolling. It is however a good amplifier for the money and it does not suffer from tube complications as the Darkvoice does, as tubes will work buzz free out of the box. This is a very good option for some that want it to just work. It will bring alive your high impedance headphones.

My next OTL is above your budget at $1,200 a Ray Samuels Emmeline II The Raptor. However, I am not mentioning this amplifier for you to purchase one. I am merely pointing out what you are gaining at spending closer to the budget you have provided. At $1,200 yes it sounds much better than the Darkvoice, but not $1,000 better. And, the tubes I have purchased for this amplifier costs much more than the Darkvoice. So, what I am saying is that you may find your OTL amplifier at a much lower amount and find satisfaction that you are seeking. If I were speaking to a younger me, I would say to pass on this and go straight to the Darkvoice. To complicate matters, my RSA HR-2 solid state pairs the best with my ZMF headphone and it comes in at $875. It is even better than my tube amps when comparing them side by side.

I also purchased a xDuoo TA-26 and instantly regretted it. At $320 I was expecting it to outperform the Darkvoice. It did not have the same magic as the Darkvoice even though it used the same tubes and was touted as the Darkvoice improved. What it did have was good marketing. This is the amp for some, but I found no magic within it.

Ultimately, as you can read, I am recommending the Darkvoice 336SE. Also, I would recommend the $15 Russian Svetlana power tube and then try a variety of driver tubes. Be aware of the Darkvoice 336SE limitations and quirks. Potentiometer and tube quirks especially. The 336SE is not the amplifier for some. The best video review out there on the Darkvoice 336SE is by Passion for Sound:

3 Likes

Wow! Thanks for the link. This is a very well written review. I understood the fun factor for the OTL/SET but says improvement on price for coherence. Being a cheapskate, I would prefer to go solid state and OTL due to the price and let tubes do all the fun. However, the author makes some compelling benefits to go with OTL/SET and at under a grand is crazy. Great read!!!

1 Like

Thank you very much @hottyson, for the detailed response. I will check the Darkvoice 336SE, it is available in India. Regarding the Solid State amps - I actually am content with Taurus mk2, and not looking to get anything else (unless the unit dies :slight_smile:).

I was also considering the Bottle Head Crack with Speedball, but it is not available in India.

Thank you @hifiDJ, I understand there can never be one amp fit for all HPs. That said, I wanted to try the OTL with Senn especially, as I have read they scale very well with good amps. :slight_smile:
I will check out the Quicksilver amp, thank you for the recommendation.

1 Like

I have not any experience with the Bottle Head Crack, however it seems to have reached legendary status and it would likely have less problems and achieve quality since you are able to select the builder.
I know that I was trying to dissuade you from SET/OTL as I am trying to stay content with solid state and OTL (and hybrids) and had suggested you to stay content with your very competent amps. However I must admit that I did lay awake much of the night tossing and turning about the Quicksilver Amp after reading about it. I actually woke up in the middle of the night and read it again. This hobby too easily consumes me and money. Pennstac actually recently set me straight and I really should find content in what I already have as he suggests. However, the lure of consumption tempts me every waking moment.

1 Like

I own a DV 336SE and built a Crack last year. I didnā€™t feel the need to add the Speedball, but have the kit in a box. These amps are not dramatically different with the factory tubes, and can be made even closer through tube swaps. The 336SE is warmer and rounded off, while the Crack has a more defined stage and treble. The 336SE also has tube compatibility issues on 110/120 V power but apparently not on 220/240 V sources. In the end you may not notice the differences without a direct comparison.

In India you might consider some of the Eastern European vendors. Iā€™m curious about Eufonikaā€™s H5 or H5 with Miflex KPCU, as sold on both Ebay and Etsy. Their prices are lower than the total cost of building a Crack (to include tools, finishing materials, etc.), but higher than the cost of a 336SE. I havenā€™t ordered a Eufonika because Iā€™m guessing theyā€™ll sound a lot like what I already have, and Iā€™m looking at other amp designs and price points.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Eufonika?ref=notif_nfyfs&order=date_desc

Iā€™m running my amps with HD 600, HD 6XX, and HD 800 S headphones. I usually run the 6XX on the Crack without EQ, but the other two need a bass boost on the Crack. The 336SE doesnā€™t need EQ for the 600 and 800 S, but is too warm for the 6XX. Still, the Crack has better treble and definition with everything.

2 Likes

I had a Quicksilver for about 6 months, and I loved it. To my ears and brain, though, itā€™s anything but neutral - sounded as warm and tube-y as can be, especially with Utopia headphones - that is a great synergy! But I also upgraded the tubes, so maybe that accounts for a sound signature differenceā€¦

1 Like

I just took a look at Euphonica, they are interesting and have decent prices. There is an H7 for 300ā‚¬ which is cheaper than a 336se.

2 Likes

Yes, it seems reasonably priced. Consider the potential for tube swaps and typical sound character of the tubes. The H7 uses a 6N1P driver (moderate options) while the H5 uses a 6SN7 (extremely common).

Thereā€™s also an Ebay seller from Lithuania selling an inexpensive OTL amp ($360 now):

Their website in the photos: https://www.cerntube.com/

No personal experience, but again Iā€™m guessing theyā€™ll also sound a lot like the 336SE and Crack.

4 Likes

Thank you @generic , I will take a look at the Eufonika. :+1:

2 Likes

Hello everyone,

Was wondering if someone can give some thoughts or a link to a topic or review to anything related to the ES100 since i already order one.

Iā€™m also looking to buy the qdelix 5k, the FiiO BTR5 and the dragonfly black and was wondering if someone can give some thoughts on them or some comparison, also if itā€™s worth buying all those DAC/AMPs, i would use them most of the time with my phone, donā€™t know if that help with something.

I saw a discussion about the qdelix, the Fiio and the ES100, but can find it again, if someone could help me with that too, itā€™ll be awesome.

Thanks in advance for the reply.

1 Like