Headphone amp recommendations

I didn’t mean “discounted” in any context other than you’d taken them off your list of what would work within your window (be that for logistical or other reasons).

There’s a thread on SBAF that talks about the origins of the EC ZDR Jr and its relationship to the NBM and how/when/where Craig of EC was involved.

2 Likes

Thanks again, I’ll do some SBAF searching.

SW51+ you fill out the form he sends you, then when he is ready to ship he takes the money from PayPal and sends straight away. Looks good.

hey SenyorC,

maybe you can stretch out your budget(starting price was at about 399, if I remember correct and it got a increase up to 499 later on) and have a look at the Feliks Audio Echo.
http://feliksaudio.pl/en/products.php

1 Like

Thanks Martin, I’ll check them out.

I am also considering the Schiit Valhalla 2, it works out around 400€ so just inside the budget. Should also be a bit quicker on the delivery side than the other options I was considering, they are supposed to be back in stock in the UK on the 21st.

2 Likes

The price on the Feliks Echo shot up to $680, probably currency fluctuation.

not sure where you found that price.
In the above provided link (official builders homepage) - still the standard 499 Euro
@SenyorC beeing in the UK, it is a 55Euro on top for shipping
there are 2 resellers in germany who ship for free, though are selling the higher tier amps
probably you could ask them to order for you

here is a official brit Feliks Audio reseller: https://www.theaudiobarn.co.uk/product/feliks-audio-echo/
it´s 489 pounds

here is a worldwide dealers list http://feliksaudio.pl/en/dealers.php

Thanks Martin (just as an FYI, I am not in the UK, I’m in Spain, I just mentioned the Valhalla being back in stock in the UK because it is the only European distributor that has a forecast date for it).

1 Like

oh sorry - I knew(in the past, we talked about it) you were in spain and somehow I mixed something up.
Glad you did not have left the EU… yet :slight_smile:

1 Like

Here is where the US price lists as $680; https://upscaleaudio.com/collections/feliks-audio/products/feliks-audio-echo-headphone-amplifier

The review article had indicated a lower price in USD.

I see.

For US citizens, I would suggest the Hagermann Tuba for 649$ or 749 with nice wooden sidepanels

Though this was not SenyorC question and I am super far away from beeing an expert

2 Likes

The Hagermann Tuba is an intriguing amp, seen some very good write-ups on the amp. Trying to find a comparison to the Echo has not yielded any results for me. Both are great values and hope to read more about them.

2 Likes

the Tuba is in another league vs the Echo.
with the Tuba you are able to use most headphones and the Echo is the typical thing with OTLs - if you are ok with this reglementations and live in europe, the Echo could be a nice option for sub 500

if I would get a Tuba, incl. the wooden sidepanels + shipping and over 19% import taxes … I could directly watch out for something higher tier made in europe to skip the high shipping and taxes on tops

a Bottlehead Crack (already build) incl the Speedball Crack is about 800 bucks new in the US, if you don´t want to build it by yourself

so there are not many sub 1k solutions, in europe from what I know. Did not dive deep into research mode yet. The intersting sub 500 Euro budget market is naturally chinese or russian build - where I would have no problems with, Though would prefer somethings as good looking like the Tuba or the Echo for the living room stack, as my wife has to give her ok :slight_smile:

3 Likes

So, after hours researching, I have decided that I am going to build the Crack but not at this moment in time, I am going to wait until the current situation blows over and have it sent across with some other shipment at a later date.

For now, I am going to pick up another hybrid to have at home, keeping the P20 at the office with the Atom and SU-8 (once my “incarcerated” Schiit stuff arrives!)

So, the final debate is between the Massdrop Cavalli Tube Hybrid and the Schiit Vali 2.

Both work out at 200€ approximately so there is no difference in price, the Vali would probably arrive quicker because it is in the UK rather than the US, but again, not something that bothers me at this moment. Aestheitics aren’t a factor either as the Modi + Heresy are black and the Vali silver.

My main aim is to have something maybe a little more laid back than the SS options I have on tap.

I haven’t listened to either and depending on the reviewer, one or the other is preferred. What is your personal opinion, as something that compliments the Magni Heresy and or Atom, which would you suggest?

I plan on feeding it from the Modi 3 (once it arrives) and until then either from the D10 or the SU-8.

The main headphones used would be the HD6XX and the DT1990, along with a few closed backs, although being able to use IEMs with it would be a bonus.

Again, thanks in advance as always!

1 Like

The Vali is a fine amp, but I think the MCTH is just a bit better for that more laid back sound you’re looking for. Depending on the tube, I could get a somewhat harsh sound out of the Vali. That’s something I think you’d struggle to achieve with the MCTH. Vali does bass quantity and slam a wee bit better, iirc.

Both are good for the $. I think the Vali takes more knowledge of which tubes will best synergize with your system and will benefit from more expensive NOS glass - and can be more flexible because of it - but the MCTH was buttery smooth and exceedingly good with just the stock new production bugle boys that came with the one I bought.

Hope that helps.

4 Likes

Thanks Prof!

Order placed :blush:

2 Likes

Agree with this, this amp for the DROP sale price or a gently used price is really a very enjoyable listen on most headphones. It’s my desktop work laid back amp and opposite sound from the THX sound.

Keep in mind it takes around 4-8 weeks to get the kit. I finally received mine that I ordered before all the craziness started, it was delayed a bit longer than expected due to part issues and can’t wait to build it. I am waiting to build with my father in-law as a fun audio bonding project for us and as we both own the 6XX it will take vacations at both our places.

3 Likes

I’ve been trying to read up on endgame tube amps … Wonder what folks here think about those models in the 2-6k range, including the Manley Ultimate, the Feliks Euphoria, and the Woo WA5? Or maybe also include those made by AmpsandSound … I don’t use tubes in my main system for reasons of convenience/flexibility as well as reliability, but miss the golden glow and those mid-century contours. And seems like from reviews I’ve read that some of the top models would be a great match with my Utopias.

What do you think of the MCTH so far?

I really should get around to posting detailed impressions on this amp but as it is so hot at the moment (over 100ºF), it is difficult to bring myself to wear over ear headphones for very long.

However, with the time I have spent with it, probably a hundred hours or so (plus another 100 or so for the tube to burn in), I must say that I enjoy it.

I really haven’t sat down to form detailed impressions and focus on the nuances but with the HD6XX (which is the only headphone I have really used on the MCTH for extended periods) I really enjoy it. I find that it suits the HD6XX better than the P20, as I found the lower regions to be a little muddy with them on the P20. In the case of the MCTH, it seems to do a better job of controlling those lows while still keeping them warm.

In comparison to the JDS Labs Atom, which is my most used amp and has sort of become my neutral reference point, there is a slight warmth and smoothness to it but it is not night and day between the Atom and the MCTH.

Thre is plenty of power to the amp also, at least for what I need, it drives the HD6XX with plenty to spare (then again, I don’t have a habit of listening too loud).

The only issue I have is background noise when using IEMs. I mean, I know that this amplifier is not made for IEMs but I like to try them anyway. In the case of the P20, there is zero background noise but the output impedance is pretty high, resulting in it being a complete lottery on how most IEMs will sound. In the case of the MCTH, the output impedance is a lot lower but there is background noise that is audible on sensitive IEMs (on most IEMs actually).

As I said, I must really sit down and put some coherent impressions together of this amp rather than the vagueness I just posted :wink:

10 Likes