Headphone/Audio & Music Library "Power" Tools

This is a thread to discuss, and identify, useful tools for managing one’s music library. I’ll kick it off with one of my own …

This is a quick-and-dirty little tool for removing the “crud” that tends to accumulate in music libraries (mostly useful for libraries on DAPs and phones or where space is constrained):

mlcp

It is something I cobbled together over a few days travel; mostly as a test of how viable an iPad Pro would be for software development on-the-go (via GitHub “Codespaces” and “Repl.it”). As such, it was mostly written sitting in airports and on planes. Drinking was involved.

Use at your own risk (this is a pre-release), and backup your library before using … because you can still use it destructively even if there are no issues in the code.

Source and binaries (macOS universal and Windows x86_64) can be found here. Linux users will need to build from source (too many variations for me to bother making packages for).

Make sure to read the “Read Me”.

11 Likes

Just a reminder to consider all PDF, jpeg, jpg, png, etc document or album cover images. Bummer to inadvertently wipeout those files in a purge.

Documentation files, i.e., .pdf and .txt files are deleted by default. If you want to keep them, use the “-d” or “–documents” option.

Folder-level album art files are kept by default (see below). Any other .jpg, .jpeg or .png file will be deleted or backed-up.

Note that, unless you specify the “-p” or “–purge” option, nothing will be touched. Leave those options off, and use the “-v” or “-verbose” switch, and you’ll get a list of all the files that’ll be deleted (or backed up). This lets you see in advance if you want to actually run the purge.

If you provide a BACKUP PATH, then instead of just deleting files, they’ll be moved to that backup folder, and will retain the same directory structure that they came from (so you can just merge them all back with a single drag/drop in Explorer or Finder).

Essentially, the mode of operation is that any file that isn’t on the list to keep is deleted/backed-up. This saves having to code for every possible file type or name that might wind up in a library but need to be removed. The list of files/file types to keep is both much shorter and changes infrequently.

In it’s most aggressive mode (with the “-a” option applied), it will delete ALL files that are not one of the following types (i.e. these types of files are NEVER deleted):

.aac, .aiff, .ape, .dff, .dsd, .dsf, .dxd, .flac, .iso, .m4a, .m4p, .mp3, .oga, .wav, .wma or .wmv

The “-l” or “-list-types” command will show you the file extensions the tool considers to be “music files” (always kept), “other audio files” (deleted by default, but can be kept with the “-o” or “–other-audio-files” option) and “documentation/booklets” (deleted by default, but can be kept with the “-d” or “–documents” option).

Album Art Files

These files are kept by default; using the “-a” or “–art” options will delete them:

• album.jpg
  • album.jpeg
  • album.png
  • cover.jpg
  • cover.jpeg
  • cover.png
  • small_cover.jpg
  • small_cover.jpeg
  • small_cover.png
  • large_cover.jpg
  • large_cover.jpeg
  • large_cover.png
  • folder.jpg
  • folder.jpeg
  • folder.png
  • thumb.jpg
  • thumb.jpeg
  • thumb.png
  • albumartsmall.jpg
  • albumartsmall.jpeg
  • albumartsmall.png
  • albumartmedium.jpg
  • albumartmedium.jpeg
  • albumartmedium.png
  • albumartlarge.jpg
  • albumartlarge.jpeg
  • albumartlarge.png

If you have an “album art” file that uses a different file name than one of the above, this tool will ALWAYS delete it.

The primary intent was to clean up libraries for use on devices with limited storage - the use cases for which don’t usually include reading documentation/booklets (if, indeed, the player can even expose them).

2 Likes

I added some more manufacturers and amplifiers to the Amplifier Power/Drive Reference too (which also includes some DAC/amp units).

There’s more to do, but as of now it covers, Benchmark, Burson, Chord, DNA, Drop/Massdrop, Ferrum, HeadAmp, iFi, JDS Labs, Monolith (Monoprice), Schiit, SPL and Woo Audio.

If an amp from one of those brands isn’t listed, it’s because they don’t provide suitable measurements for that model (amazing how many have a lot of inconsistency in how they specify things, even between models).

7 Likes

Damn Ian. No rest for the wicked, eh? Guys like you are an incredible gift to any audio hobbyists community. :slight_smile:

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

More manufacturers and amplifiers added to the Amplifier Power tool.

Also, changed the manner in which it shows manufacturer-provided vs. calculated values. Green values are manufacturer provided, anything else is calculated.

While doing the Matrix Digital pieces, it was a bit disappointing to see that on their revised “2” models, their built-in headphone amplifiers have dropped in power a little, but more importantly have had their output impedances raised significantly (as much as 18x).

This means you need to be more careful about pairing them with low-impedance dynamic headphones. Partly due to the potential for frequency-response shifts, but also because the output impedances are now high enough to mean the amplifier is going to use a significant fraction (as much as half, in some cases) of its power overcoming it’s own internal resistance.

Smacks of using the direct, unbuffered, output from the headphone amplifier IC in an effort to get better SINAD numbers … which is a shame.