Headphone Evaluation: Test Tracks

Here’s a link to that version on qobuz: Open QobuzScreen Shot 2020-06-14 at 6.46.35 PM|690x272

4 Likes

For bass:

No Mercy - Gustavo This song is like ASMR. I like listening this.

The Spoils - Massive Attack Amazing song and video clip.

Angel - Massive Attack I think everybody already know this.

and this weird thing.

1 Like

I don’t think I ever posted my test list.

Some of them are probably far from what others would consider test tracks but I have heard these songs so many times that it makes it easy to spot things that stand out.

Chris Jones - Long After You’re Gone
Crooked Still - Little Sadie
Steely Dan - Jack Of Speed
The Fairfield Four - These Bones
Jennifer Warnes - Way Down Deep
Daft Punk & Pharell Williams - Get Lucky
Rag’n’Bone Man - Human (acoustic)
Brian Bromberg - Elephants On Ice Skates
Yello - The Expert
Kanye West - Violent Crimes
Sara K. - All Your Love (Turned to Passion)
Eagles - Hotel California (Live On MTV, 1994)
Paul Simon - Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
Dr. Dre & Snoop Dogg - Still D.R.E
Dr.Dre, Hittman & Knoc-Turn’al - Bang Bang
Dr.Dre & Eminem - Forgot About Dre
Alison Kraus - Down To The River To Pray
Sade - No Ordinary Love
Sade - Smooth Operator
E.S Posthumus - Nara (Theme to Cold Case)
Pentatonix - Hallelujah
Daniela Andrade - Crazy
Adele - Hello
Sam Smith - HIM
Billie Eilish - Bury A Friend
Billie Eilish - When the Party’s Over
Yosi Horikawa - Letter
Yosi Horikawa - Bubbles
Gustavo Santaolalla - No Mercy
Swindle - New Life
John Mayer - Free Fallin’ (Live at the Nokia Theatre)
The Civil Wars - Billie Jean
Becca Adams - Pretty Girl
Francesco Yates - Sugar (acoustic)
Missy & Blonde with Julia Ross - Something Just Like This
Alicia Keys - No One (acoustic)
Lana Del Rey - Hope is a Deangerous Thing for a Woman Like Me to Have
Zella Day - Seven Nation Army
Caro Emerald - Back It Up
Nach - El Cuenta Cuentos
T’Pau - China In Your Hand
Prince - BLACK MUSE
Busta Rhymes - Gimme Some More
Busta Rhymes & Lenny Kravitz - Make Noise
2Pac - Ambitionz Az A Ridah
2Pac - All Eyez On Me
Tracy Chapman - Give Me One Reason
Lorde - Royals
Oliver - Light Years Away
Johnny Cash - Hurt
Rage Against The Machine - Killing In The Name
Rage Against The Machine - Bombtrack
Dua Lipa - Don’t Start Now
Ottmar Liebert & Luna Negra - La Luna (binaural)
Y Traxx - Mystery Land
London Philharmonic Orchestra - Adagio For Strings, Op. 11a
The Police - Walking On The Moon
Michael Jackson - Billie Jean
Die Antwoord - I Fink U Freeky
Eric Clapton - Tears In Heaven (acoustic) (Live at MTV Unplugged)
David Guetta feat. Skylar Grey - Shot Me Down
Luciano Pavarotti - Caruso

13 Likes

I like it! very eclectic! I’ll have to go and create a playlist of these…hopefully I remember :wink:

1 Like

Here you go! not all the tracks are in Qobuz…and I added some that were similar but not quite right =)

https://open.qobuz.com/playlist/3340386

5 Likes

Thanks @TylersEclectic.

Yes, it is difficult to find the exact same tracks across platforms. My list varies slightly between Spotify, Tidal and my personal Flac files.

1 Like

You have some gems in there for sure!!! I will go back and listen to the playlist hopefully this weekend and explore the artists and add some “forgotten” tracks that I love =) brought back some fond memories some of your tracks =) thank you for sharing!!!

2 Likes

“Sessions from the 17th Ward” sounds great (much 3D) on Verite headphones.
After this almost all other records sound flat.

5 Likes

If I only had a little better status, I could change the title of this thread to
“Songs with which to test headphones”

A preposition is something that my Mom told me I shouldn’t end a sentence with.

I just noticed this because of the thread about noticing things in songs when you hear them using good equipment.

7 Likes

I may have done such…

2 Likes

Such power in the hands of mortals…

2 Likes

Thats an audiophile classic. A&K used to have a song from it downloaded on their DAPs, not sure if they still do.

1 Like

Churchill supposedly commented re. ending a sentence with a preposition: “This is the sort of bloody nonsense up with which I will not put.”

(You can find various versions of this as the quotation, I have no idea which, if any, is correct).

3 Likes

My thought was “Songs for Testing Headphones” to save a couple words.

3 Likes

Hi @berzerkeleyan, I just stumbled across a band named Deserta and thought of our conversation here a while back. You might like their stuff - if you get a chance, check out the track “Hide” on the new album called Black Aura My Sun.

I have a playlist of Amazon Ultra HD tracks that i use. I like to test to tracks over CD quality. also recently ive been listening to Becks Colors and ive noticed that it can reveal distortion and grain easily. difficult tracks for headphones.

https://music.amazon.com/user-playlists/2cd1ceea9ec34b0a9f74ac6f151525ffsune?ref=dm_sh_c861-a717-4956-3209-2b9a5

1 Like

Headphone evaluation isn’t about one’s favorite tracks, but about tracks that help to distinguish between pleasant/unpleasant or good/bad setups. To that end, I use the EDM track Steve Jobs by Steve Aoki and Angger Dimas.

With brighter setups I cannot get through the ‘adventurous’ portion that begins at 1:02 in the video below or 1:31 on the Wonderland album.

5 Likes

I love this comment, seems like this is lost a lot of times when doing a review. Even though it is good to test your favorites as that will help you decide in your purchases but by using particular tracks for specific reasons can show the flaws or excellence of said setup/gear.

3 Likes

I’ve been thinking about this a lot because of this thread. I think it’s a fine line. You certainly don’t want all of your test tracks to be so far on the evaluation side that they might as well not be music to you. IE: If you’re never going to listen to something for pleasure, does it matter how it sounds? And it’s certainly most important to you that your favorite tracks sound the best. Ideally a test track should be both but if not, somewhere in between. And of course include a few at both extremes in your test track mix.

I don’t disagree with you (although feel free to disagree with me). I’m just trying to riff a bit on what I think you’re saying.

1 Like

Well said, your thoughts are basically what I was trying to say.