Headphone Technology, Transducers, and Fatigue

When you give them the proper juice they ask for, the volume problem goes away. If I drive my LCD3 at stock gain from my iCan Pro, they will go all the way to 1PM and still sound meh… But if I put them in 9db, the starts to shine! and 11 o’clock is just more than enjoyable.

2 Likes

Thank you - that’s very helpful and good to know! I’ll have to give my LCD2-C a whirl from an iCan Pro. That might also be a great amp pairing because of its versatility, perhaps doing double-duty with my Clear? I really appreciate the advice.

2 Likes

This is the main reason why I got this AMP.
I have about 6 Planars, 1 IEM, 2 Closed back cans.

I wanted an amp that served all my purposes.

The iCan Pro is not for everybody, Is an AMP made with variety in mind, feature pack with lots of options and knobs… @Resolve made a review about the iDSD Pro and the iCan pro here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Msdfni5POrk

@Resolve explains it very well.

I already had experience with iFi so I knew what to expect, the iCan Pro does not disappoint and if you are up for a change and something different, the iCan Pro can take you for a wild ride :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

I suspect that on ear designs, especially those that allow room noise — foam on ear in particular are less fatiguing. I never experienced fatigue from hours of work using a Plantronics Savi headset or Koss Porta Pros, or even Grados with S pads ( caveat : at moderate to low levels. Entry level Grados played loudly do get shrill).

2 Likes

In my experience either open-back over ear or open on-ear have the least fatigue.

Lucky you!

I think I was born with 3x the high frequency sensitivity as the average person, or was exposed to too many lawn mowers, chain saws, motorcycles, concerts, gunshots and the like without adequate hearing protection. My hearing still tests fine, but sounds that don’t bother others will usually bother me. Fingernails on the chalkboard, hiss, ringing. The only way for me to avoid it is through pure tones without an unstructured high end (random noise) or a peaky high end.

3 Likes