HEDD Audio HEDDphone - Official Thread

ALL amplifiers add noise and distortion.

Good ones, like the THX AAA 789 just add so little of either that it is below audible thresholds. So, technically, yes, it’ll degrade the signal it gets from the line-out, but you won’t be able to hear the noise or distortion that is introduced.

I haven’t tried the THX AAA 789 with either the revised RME unit (nor the HEDDphone), since I sold my THX amp a while ago. With the original, it was a beneficial pairing if a) you needed more power and b) you heard the slight dynamic compression directly out of the RME’s headphone output (though high-power mode mitigated most of that).

In the updated unit, this is less apparent. I won’t say it’s gone completely, but it wasn’t audible until I was using headphones like the Stellia, Utopia, Vérité and MySphere, and even then it took focus to hear it and the effect was reduced.

I think the THX amplifier addition will still be beneficial overall with the HEDDphone, mostly because it’ll get you more power and the ability to run them balanced, which they definitely benefit from (improved stage, slightly improved resolution, better dynamics).

Though I’m not sure how they’ll pair up beyond that, as I found the THX amp to become fatiguing after a while, and the HEDDphone does not have what one would call a “relaxed” nor “laid back” presentation.

The HEDDphone does sound fantastic straight out of the RME unit, though. As long as you’re not trying to listening to music that’s recorded at lower than normal levels at very high volume. Some hi-res stuff falls foul of this, where they tend not to push levels up as high as they can get away with. “Hi Power” mode will fix that, but not with the sense of authority and ease that, say, the Phonitor X delivers.

8 Likes

I thank you Ian!

this helped me a lot.

The point with the HEDDphone´s presentation not beeing “relaxed” nor “laid back” was in my mind as well, as I asked about adding the THX.

The SMSL SU-8 + THX brought that up soon for me, as both were candidates for the earlier upcoming fatiguing vs the xDSD only or xDSD with THX.

The RME ADI DACs sound on it´s own is so enjoyable to me - longtime over hours and for shorter more dynamic sessions. Perhaps still in new toy syndrom.

I´m going to audition the HEDDphone first with the RME on it´s own and later add the THX. So I am less worried about the fatigue stresses my hearing before I get to the RME only part. - hope this is understandable in my bad english.

6 Likes

Last pictures before I had to give this bad boy back to Headphones.com

10 Likes

Nice (photos, letting them go sucks. I Imagine)!

Are you gonna get a pair?

3 Likes

I’m not sure yet… I have a couple of other priority purchases coming up… but yeah these are on the top of my list of new headphones to get…

*I need a new laptop and I want a couple of new lenses for my camera

5 Likes

Same here. But by the time I get the other stuff I want beforehand, it’ll be a new year and HEDD will probably be on version 2 (or 3)! :laughing:

3 Likes

Never a bad idea to wait for version 2 of a new product. What’s the rush? Either HEDDphones will be here a year from now with improved ergonomics or they won’t. One reason I have not rushed into buying SR1a’s. The other is I am having a problem with noisy neighbours and until I move I am using CIEMs.

2 Likes

Some additional thoughts on the HEDDphone after two weeks and change with them … but I will say, in summary, that if you’re in the market for headphones anywhere around this price point you should go out of your way to hear these …

Sound & Performance

I don’t think I’ve had any major changes in my overall perception here, absent those that could be ascribed to “break-in”, since my first post on the matter.

I wouldn’t change my description of their basic tonality, though bass levels came up a little bit. Treble is a bit more refined. There is no more “shoutiness”. The sibilance I was hearing is gone. And the minor bass-rattle I was getting with a couple of specific test tracks no longer occurs.

Measurements haven’t changed for me over the last couple of weeks, except about a dB or two in the bass, which could also be attributed to difference in pad compression, placement on the measuring rig, etc.

My assessment of how they project stage and their imaging ability, is also unchanged.

Value & Positioning

With a few notable exceptions, for things like ZMF’s Vérité, Auteur and Aeolus and the Rosson RAD-0, I cannot name an open-backed headphone under about $2,500 that I’d take over the HEDDphone. And I’d take the HEDDphone over the Meze Empyrean or the HiFiMAN HE1000 series, including the SE, as well.

The HEDDphone is priced extremely well for its performance and build.

I still don’t really think of it as a “giant killer”, but I do think it will quickly earn a legitimate place among the giants (I’d say it largely already has for me). I also think it is going to wind up being pretty disruptive - provided HEDD Audio can get production up and address the headband/yoke length issue.

Due to the effects of price on perceived performance and desirability/exclusivity, I do have some concerns that said disruption could turn out to be manufacturers simply bumping the prices of their “next” models in this arena, without necessarily delivering better value/more performance, in order to “move them up market” perceptually.

Power Requirements & Amplification

Using the HEDDphone with a variety of DAC/amps, DAPs and amplifiers has shown that they do respond well to having lots of clean power on tap. You can get to fairly high replay levels without too much effort, but the sense of authority and effortlessness in their delivery is lost when not suitably juiced.

If your amp can deliver about 1 W into 42 ohms, you’re in the sweet-spot; less and you’ll start to notice with more dynamic music and higher listening levels (and be towards the end of your volume dial’s range with quieter recordings), more and the returns diminish fairly quickly.

You do NOT need to break the bank to drive these well.

The $99 Schiit Magni 3+ or Heresy (or the original Magni 3) all have ample power to get the job done here. The Liquid Spark also has plenty of juice. Another budget favorite, the JDS Labs Atom is a bit less than ideal here, and the Archel 2 Pro I would say just doesn’t have the juice to do these justice.

Otherwise, any of the “THX” amplifiers, pretty much everything from Schiit (particularly the current offerings), most of the desktop “Drop”-branded amps (not the EC ZDT Jr though, this is another case of me not liking that with lower impedance cans*), the iFi Micro iDSD Black Label and so on will more than get the job done.

Best solid-state amplifier pairing I’ve heard with them so far is the Phonitor X.

I would steer clear of any amplifier or DAC/amp with more than a couple of ohms of output impedance, as that really screws up the bottom end, and they generally do not pair well with OTL amplifiers either.

The RME ADI-2 DAC fs, and the Chord Hugo 2, present excellent pairings here. Though both would benefit from a little more power (enabling “High Power” mode on the RME unit helps) for more dynamic music when listening at higher-levels.

They sound fantastic directly out of the Hugo TT 2 (on high-gain) and DAVE.

Single-Ended vs. Balanced Drive

The HEDDphone definitely benefits from balanced-drive.

They’re excellent single-ended, but going balanced will help exploit their high resolution, adds some depth to the stage, exploits the lateral imaging better and, in most cases, you’ll get more power - which they very much do like.

While they ship with a single-ended cable, any cable for Audeze, Meze or ZMF headphones will all work properly here.

Comfort

This is still an issue, but not as much as it was initially. Nothing here that would stop me buying them again, but it certainly could be better.

I don’t know if it is because the headband is compressing slightly with use, or I’m just getting used to it, but it takes longer now before I get a hotspot from it - usually about an hour (versus less than half an hour initially). I would still like either more adjustment on the yokes, or longer yokes, as I have to have them fully extended. And along with this, a few more degrees of vertical tilt-range would help too.

The weight, itself, doesn’t bother me. I am, however, still more aware of them when I move my head due to where the weight sits and the effects of inertia. I figured I might become less aware of that over time; I haven’t.

Deafening Silence

It has been interesting to see that the activity in HEDDphone threads, across multiple forums, has essentially fallen off a cliff … and did so within about the first week of the first customers receiving their units. I’m not concerned about this, and would attribute it to several factors:

• Much of the chatter up until release, was the usual self-reinforcing hype and speculation, mostly driven out of either limited exposure to non-final units or, oddly enough, from people that have never heard the HEDDphone at all. This sort of thing naturally dies out once a product is shipping and owner feedback has started to show up.

• Said actual owner-feedback has been largely consistent and generally very positive, with what minimal differences that are being expressed primarily being attributable to varying preferences, systems and how individuals assess value. There’s not a lot of disagreement to fuel debate.

• Of course, not that many units, relatively speaking, have made it into the wild yet, so the amount of owner-feedback is relatively limited at the moment. And as more of that shows up, I expect the more conversation will pick up again.

• The headband/yoke issue probably has those that weren’t already set to pre-order waiting to see if/how that is addressed, or waiting to try them to see if will be an issue for them personally, before jumping in.

*I very much enjoy the EC ZDT Jr, so don’t get the impression I have an issue with it. I just don’t find it pairs well with low-impedance cans … even using the Low-Z output.

17 Likes

Thank you Ian,

for your additional thoughts on the HEDDphone.

This is really growing on me.
Your point on higher pricing for the future, is of course to consider and maybe is going to break the rest of hesitation, for some of us. :wink:

4 Likes

My only issue with the HEDDphone is the headband and it’s lack of sufficient extension to fit my head, and my head isn’t even particularly large. Their sound is marvelous but what difference does that make if you can’t wear them for very long due to discomfort? The constant pressure on the bottom of my earlobes has a progressive effect. The longer I wear them, the more they hurt and the longer I need to not wear them in order to get relief.

But my biggest problem with Hedd now is the fact that I emailed them over 2 weeks ago to ask about the “rumored” headband that is supposed to have longer extensions. Well, I can’t even get them to respond to my inquiry.

Folks, that is a deal breaker, in terms of customer service, for a product that costs nearly $2000. If I could have at least gotten a response saying that they’re working on it and a solution will be offered at some point not too far off, then I could hold on and just wait. But radio silence to an early adopter = I’ll take my business elsewhere.

7 Likes

That is very disappointing to hear. No-response truly frustrates me, too, and I’d much rather wait 6 months for a product as long as I am updated on the progress along the way, vs. no communication at all and the product shows up earlier than 6 months (or not show up even!!).

5 Likes

Don’t take this as me defending you not getting a response after two weeks, but there are reasons that might be the case beyond just poor customer service.

Email is a pretty poor way of reaching out to someone as an initial point of contact, if for no other reason than you have no reliable way to know if your message was received or seen.

Also, unless you somehow bought your set directly from HEDD Audio, I would think the first port of call would be with your dealer - as plenty of manufacturers that work through distributors/dealers don’t deal with customers directly at all.

5 Likes

Already contacted the dealer. They don’t have any information either, but have also heard of the “rumored” larger headband. Either way, as I live in the US, there’s no other way for me to contact Hedd except via email per their website.

I’d expect dealers to hear first, so if you’ve done that not much else is likely to help.

Though if you really want to contact them, their phone number is:

+49 30 72013470

Also, many manufacturer’s are more responsive to posts on their social media pages/accounts (be that Facebook, Twitter etc.). Not that you should have to make multiple attempts/jump through hoops, just depends how much/quickly you want a response/resolution.

For what it’s worth, I’ve not heard anything about a band/yoke fix/change/retro-fit beyond the rumor mill, either.

If it were me (and this applies to any product) and they just weren’t going to work for me (be it fit, or something else), I’d return them first to make sure I was within the return period* (sounds like you’re done and probably already doing this anyway) and then buy them again if/as/when my issues with said product was resolved.

I’ve learned the hard way not to bet on/buy on “futures”.

*This is one reason I tend to buy from headphones.com whenever possible; their return period is a year. Though so far, I’ve never had to use it.

14 Likes

All good points!

2 Likes

Ok just got mine, off the bat, its fast, but on some bass tracks like Daft Punks - Something About Us - you can hear something like a bass flutter in the top left, so this goes away after a while is what Torq has said so far, other than that they’re perfect sonic wise.

7 Likes

That’s what I heard with mine, initially (but only with specific tracks and not all the time).

It went away after another 24 hours or so of actual use, hasn’t returned, and I have not been able to reproduce it even while going out of my way to do so.

Really my only issue with this can is the hotspot I get on the top of my head.

I may just have to dismantle mine, scan the yokes, work-up a model for a long one, and go to town with the DMLS printer in the lab and make my one longer ones.

10 Likes

This definitely sounds better than the HEKv1 i had, especially in the horizontal, its as others have said its hd800 like in its headspace, but with more slam, very balanced and smooth, and possibly more transparent than the HEK. Its almost like my Campfire Andromeda in its freq balance, seems to do everything right.

3 Likes

Lucky you. Glad to see that you are happy with the HEDDphone so far.

Did you order yours from Headphones.com?

1 Like

Thanks Ian for your updates on the HEDDphone, especially given the lack of social activity on it in the various forums.

I agree with your reasons for the “Deafening Silence”.

Thanks for you efforts and for taking the time to put so much thought into your posts.

Just a couple of questions:

1. How do you think the other Phonitor models will do with the HEDDphone? I ask because I saw one at a second hand shop a few weeks ago but at that time, I was not aware that it pairs so well with the HEDDphone so I didn’t bother to see which model it was. I may consider going out of my way to check on it depending on what you may have to say on this.

2. I currently have the Pro iCAN, Ragnarok, BHA-1 and Decware Mini Torii Mk2 as my desktop headphone amplifiers. I’m most interested in how the HEDDphone would pair with the Pro iCAN but since I’m at it, I’d be interested to hear how the others would pair with it too.

Thanks again for all that you do for the community with your hard earned cash. :slight_smile:

2 Likes