HiFiMAN Edition XS

Jeeez. This isn’t something you should do generally. If you want tons of bass, you might be better off with a closed-back. Or an LCD-2F that has ultra low harmonic distortion. Not saying the edition XS would have audible distortion after +10dB sub-bass (I expect it’d be fine), but that kind of boost puts any headphone into conditions that aren’t normal.

3 Likes

A transducer can be “tuned” with EQ. EQ cannot make a transducer (speaker, headphone, etc.) do something it’s not inherently capable of performing using excessive boost. That much bass boost would likely have inter modular impacts with reproduction of other frequencies.

More can be accomplished through cutting a frequency range which is asking a transducer to do less than its design spec rather than attempting to force it to do more.

3 Likes

Gotchaaa. Thanks Resolve and NordicDave for the insight! I may only boost about 3-6dB given that the response is linear down to 20hz instead of rolling off below 80hz like the dynamics I’m used to. (I’m new to planar headphones.) Or, I may try the lcd-2f.

I’m mostly looking for something under $1000 that covers all the important stuff (has decent technicalities) like detail, timbre, separation, dynamics, etc… while also having powerful sub-bass, but it seems like options are slim. I’m more than willing to eq, so if the lcd-2f covers the important stuff and can take a generous sub-bass shelf, I might head in its direction.

Thanks again you guys for the insight and help!

1 Like

I’m a fan of the Audeze LCD line-up. Double check the total weight you are comfortable wearing as they are heavy; LCD-4z & LCD-5 being the lighter weight exceptions.

If you’s like to push the budget, a little patience can yield a low time near new more pricey model. Perhaps given the inability for most to test headphones, a number of nice options show up used for attractive prices.

An another thread I shared how much I liked the new LCD-4z a friend lent me for a week. I also recently acquired a slightly used ZMF. The LCD’s comfort was good and nothing unacceptable, other than pressing the boundary of weight. The ZMF was a WOW on comfort. It’s just melts on my head and carries itself in a more balanced fashion. The LCD felt bulky on the ears by comparison.

Not trying to dissuade you away from the LCD line, but the weight is worth consideration and how it is carried.

3 Likes

You use preamp when EQ’ing so you are essentially cutting it rather than boosting.

I really like the cable a lot. This is the best cable i’ve used in any headphone. Well done Hifiman.

Sub bass seem little disappointing compared to Ananda. It’s blunted. Ananda’s sub bass from my memory was very transparent, detailed, nuanced, textured. It was the best aspect of that headphone. It pushes air in a finely grained and detailed way. XS sub bass feels like there is a blanket over it. I wonder if this is because of the sensitivity and impedance of the headphone. My amp doesn’t play well with current hungry headphones. Ananda was so easy to drive.

So after a lot of ear time and fine tuning with the EQ i’ve formed my opinion. I really like this headphone. It sounds wonderful, right and big.

BUT… the bass is just not good. I don’t know if it’s my unit or amp (zen stack 1w at 18ohm) but bass is not good enough. I mean the quantity is fine in stock form (i always eq) but the quality is not there. I’m suspecting maybe i have a diaphragm stuck to magnet situation because the bass feels odd. It’s blunted and veiled.

Ananda was soft too but it’s bass were transparent and textured. It’s sub bass quality and impact was compensating for the lack of traditional bass punch. The bass is stiff here on XS. Doesn’t have the nuance of Ananda. It’s more like Sundara but from my memory it might even be worse than Sundara. The rest of the spectrum, soundstage and imaging all that i think better than Ananda. Ananda may have a bit more micro detail but XS have more macro detail/contrast and imaging going on for it.

@Resolve Do you think it’s reliable to measure channel balance (in bass) with my smartphone ? As you discovered before, this headphone behaves different when it’s not coupled to my head. I’m suspecting right and left drivers having a different resonance frequency because they sound different on my desk when i play sub bass frequencies via tone generator.

1 Like

@Resolve Hah… didn’t really expect it, but somehow I really like that “more bass” preset! Thanks a lot!

The Edition XS is for sure a bit special, but I’m pretty happy with it so far…

1 Like

I’m new to the audiophile headphone space, I just bought a Fulla E to help drive my HD 560s (first headphone purchse), Can a Fulla drive the XS? Looking to upgrade to this

The Fulla E should be able to drive the Edition XS to about 116 dB/SPL.

That would mean, if your average listening level is 85 dB, and you allow 20 dB for musical peaks, the Fulla E will still have lots of headroom even when hitting those peaks. Which is not to say other amplifiers may not be cleaner, at higher volumes, into a low-impedance load like the Edition XS.

2 Likes

Wow thanks for the info! I may pull the trigger on the DX3Pro+ or the IFI Zen Dac V2 instead for the XS instead, any suggestions?

There are reports of the DX3 Pro+ not handling low-impedance headphones very well (20 ohms and under), sometimes tripping its output protection. I would be very cautious about pairing that with an 18 ohm headphone like the EX.

The iFi unit will have more power than the Fulla E. Generally I’ve much preferred iFi gear over Topping. But I’ve not heard any of the items you’re talking about anyway, so can’t really say more there.

You can compare power capacity and requirements for various headphones and amplifiers and DAC/amps here.

6 Likes

20ohm output impedance. ASR going to have a field day…wait. Its a Topping. Gloss over it, carry on.

2 Likes

The output impedance of the headamp portion of the DX3 Pro+ is 0.1Ω. The 20Ω output impedance is for the RCA output. It should be able to run XS without any issue.

1 Like

Corrected my post.

Still wouldn’t recommend the DX3 Pro+ for the Edition XS, however, due to apparent issues with driving low impedance loads (under 20 ohms).

2 Likes

Interesting… I didn’t know about this DX3 Pro+ issues with low impedance headphones. Found a few threads about it after looking around.

Does anyone know where I can find these in Canada for a reasonable price, or can the headphones.com team comment on when they might have Hifiman stuff on headphones.ca for sale? I tried to buy them recently, but was told that they won’t ship them to Canada from headphones.com due to some contractual shenanigans with hifiman preventing a US vendor from selling internationally. Something about warranty support…

Anyway - I am dying to get my hands on these, but living in rural Canada, I don’t exactly have a ton of brick and mortar hifi options.

Used market? I understand reluctance due to HiFiMan’s well-noted QC issues, but this could be the quickest and most cost-effective route for you.

Good luck. These cans are worth the hunt.

And if you live in rural Alberta, #LetsGoOilers. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I got mine from HEADFONEshop in TO. HeadphoneBar in Van. has them too. When they’ll have stock is another matter.
Used could be an option like pk500 said, but I don’t know if the warranty is transferrable

1 Like

The XS is a complete giga chad and Fu@ks when you pair with a Zen DAC Air connected to a Asgard 3 or THX amp. The bass boost from the Zen DAC with power match and bass boost paired with Asgard/THX on high gains absolutely wrecks face. I wasn’t really impressed with the XS or the EQ until I tossed one of the two combos at it (without EQ). Without the combo there was not enough soul in this HP to keep me interested. The THX amp was stunning.

Zen DAC Air is a magnificent beast, just wish it had that 3D effect. I have quite a few DACs and Amps that I use for reference. I’m absolutely floored with the Zen DAC Air:

My reference gear:

DACs
Topping D10s (ES9038Q2M)
iFi Zen DAC air: (Burr Brown)
HiFiMAN EF400 (Himalaya R2R)
Monolith by Monoprice ( AKM 4493)

Amps:
Schiit Magni 3
Schiit Vali 2 (several tubes, favorite is any year Reflektor silver shield)
Schiit Asgard 3
Monoprice Liquid Spark

DAC/AMP combo:
Monolith by Monoprice (THX 788 version)
Sound Blaster GC7
Sound Blaster G6
Lavaudio DS600
HiFiMAN EF400
iFi Zen DAC Air (added to combo list due to inclusion of built in amp)

1 Like