HiFiMAN HE560

This is a thread to discuss all things to do with the HiFiMAN HE560 and its various iterations.

This is in all instances an open-back planar magnetic headphone, with a single-sided magnet array. Interestingly, it first arrived on the scene as a reaction to the heavier double-sided HE500 and HE-6. I’ve been told HiFiMAN worked a lot on getting the weight down, and thus the HE560 was born. Since then, this same driver platform has been used several times in various headphones and has been influential in other models, like the Sundara as well.

Currently the least expensive one, the V4 is only available used on Adorama, while the V2 is still available at a much higher pricepoint for some reason:
https://www.adorama.com/l/?searchinfo=he560%20v4

For those wondering, this is the headphone I’ve been daily driving for the past few live streams.

Measurements:

B&K 5128:

Raw

Compensated

Channel Matching

GRAS:

This has a similar sound signature to many HiFiMAN headphones, which I’d characterize as neutral-bright (depending on the slope applied to the reference curve). You can see in the compensated graph that it’s got a general counter-clockwise tilt relative to an average slope.

The dip in the mids around 1.5khz is also fairly common with HiFiMAN headphones, and this tends to have a widening effect on the overall presentation. I find it a bit lean there with too much distance between the mids and upper mids. But apart from that it’s got a nice balance to it and sounds even better after tweaking a bit with EQ. I personally enjoy it with a bit of a bass boost as well.

Notes:

• Sounds slightly more resolving for small gradations of volume than the Sundara, but all other technical qualities sound the same to my ear. Maybe slightly wider on the HE560.
  • Very comfortable, I much prefer the newer style headband with the cup swivel.
  • The build doesn’t exactly inspire confidence or feel particularly premium.
  • Measured impedance is at 48.58
1 Like

Do you know if the V2 and V4 use the same driver? Which version are you using? How does it compare to the HE6se V2?

Thanks

This is the V4. I have no idea about the V2. The headband of course is different but I have no idea how they compare otherwise.

1 Like

FR looks very similar to the HE6se V2. A lighter HE6se V2 is very appealing to me. :thinking:

Similar yes, but I do think the HE6se V2 is more ‘technical’, and sounds a bit more engaging.

1 Like

Can you measure it with Sundara pads? Usually seems to fill in the 1.5k dip

I have, but there’s very minimal change on these. The default pads are fairly similar to Sundara pads - at least as far as the FR goes.

1 Like

Hey Resolve, do you have an EQ for the HE560 to match to your 5128 target like in the B&K 5128 community input thread? I’d assume it’s only a few filters at 2-3 kHz and -3 dB high shelf past 4kHz, but just wanted to see what your EQ setup is.

I don’t at the moment. I’m not sure I’ll do that unless it becomes available again. But in cases like this you don’t have to do that much. I just boost the bass, fill in the mids, and reduce the treble a touch.

@Resolve Can you PLEASE give me your EQ settings for the HE560v4, so I can use as a staring point in EQing these headphones.

1 Like

I don’t have one at the moment (there are reasons for that), but it is a good candidate for it. I’d say boost the sub bass a bit below 100hz, boost 1.9khz by 4dB with a Q of 1.8, and then reduce treble around 3khz and above to taste.

1 Like

Thank You, I was considering upgrading to the Edition XS, but wanted to try to EQ this first to see if I can get a better sound from it before spending more money.
How would you compare the 2?

Edition XS is slightly better yeah, but I do think you’re doing the right thing regarding getting more out of your existing gear.

2 Likes

I really like the fit and feel of the HE560 v4, I actually added the Dekoni Perforated sheepskin pads to it and they feel so good and comfortable to my head, without changing the original sound.
I would be afraid of losing comfort.
Your EQ suggestions do sound better.
Thank You

Ray Cabrera

FYI Hifiman has the Edition XS for $329 refurbished, that would be $100 more then I just paid for the 560. Has the original Ananda at $309 and Stealth Anada for $349, all with 1 yr. Warranty.

Would there be any difference in recommendation for the V2 that I have? I don’t think I’ve ever bothered with EQ on it.

Could be, hard to know without measuring.