Holo Audio CYAN DAC/Amp - Official Thread

Beautiful picture and beautiful gear. Your one lucky guy. Enjoy.

-Paul-

Ahead of the full review, I thought it might be worth mentioning that:

HQPlayer (DSD512, poly-sinc-xtr, high-order NS) -> CYAN (DSD Module) is a noticeable improvement vs. raw.​

Normally doing this sort of thing is just “different” for me, and not worth the effort. But in this case, if you have a suitably powerful PC (or solid CUDA GPU compute capacity) and a copy of HQPlayer, then it’s definitely worth checking out.

So, I finally finished and posted the full review of the Holo Audio CYAN. You can read that here. It was a great fun unit to review and entirely enjoyable to listen to.

I got to try it out with lots of headphones and my existing headphone amplifiers, as well as comparing to some additional units (some distinctly not in the same price bracket), that would take things a bit beyond “reasonable size limits” for a review - but feel free to ask and I can cover this as part of this discussion.

Questions, discussions, comments, thoughts … along with any errors you spot … are best continued in this thread.

4 Likes

Lovely writing, and thanks for introducing me to that Ottmar Liebert track, it’s given me insight into something I’ve heard in the HD58X and would like to better understand.

2 Likes

Were you able to compare to the r-2r from massdrop? I’m curious how it faired. I still have a lot of audio gear I need to try/experience.

If you mean the Massdrop x Airist Audio R-2R DAC (which, oddly enough, just started another drop), then yes I did!

Tonally they’re quite similar - including a general sense of “sweetness” to their delivery. The CYAN is definitely the more technically capable of the two units, across the board, however; and is best compared to units like the RME ADI-2 DAC, the Soekris dac1421.

I did like the comparison with the ADI-2 DAC, when you posted this I was on the fence between it and the ADI-2, but I obviously went with the one I’ve been eyeballing for longer. But I now have this company on my radar, and I like what they are doing, based on aesthetics, research on them and your review of course. I’m only familiar with limited DACs and the Mass drop X Airist will be my first R-2R DAC when it ships.

1 Like

I was asked, privately, about synergy between the CYAN and the HD650, so figured I’d share those thoughts here as well …

The CYAN is a very enjoyable pairing with the HD650. The smooth top-end of the CYAN yields a very satisfying and consistently grain-free delivery. There’s still a little mid-bass bloom. Otherwise the tonal presentation is quite pure, excepting some early roll-off in NOS mode and the general sense of sweetness that this also imbues to music. They deliver pretty much as hard a punch as you’re going to get out of them (outside serious tube stuff). Detail retrieval is excellent and the overall presentation is a lot more open than one might expect with the HD650.

If you have original HD650 (2003 to about 2015, I think), and hear any “veil” with them, that’ll get exacerbated slightly - and that will be noticeable more in NOS mode. Not a concern with newer units, nor for those that have performed the more common modifications and/or are running with the latest pads. And putting it in OS mode will help there too.

I also found it works really nicely with the HD660S … where my preference was very definitely to run it in NOS mode. Though that’s something of a redundant statement as that was my generally preferred way to run the unit anyway.

3 Likes

The product site says there’s a brightness control. Is there a way to turn off the display altogether (“blackout mode”) while the unit remains operational?

Yes.

The dimmest setting is completely off. Then it cycles back to the brightest setting.

1 Like

Hi Thanks for your very insightful review. Read your comment re I2S and USB. Interested to know what grade of USB cable you were using? Also how did coax fare in comparison to USB in your listening?

Vincent

I’m not 100% sure what you mean by “grade” in reference to a USB cable. Are you talking about which USB specification they’re compliant with, or some other, arbitrary audiophile “grade” designation?

Either way, my standard USB cable for DAC reviews is currently the AudioQuest Diamond.

If you have a suitable transport with a COAX output, and you don’t need support for high-bit-rate source material (more than 24/192 for PCM or single-rate DSD/DSD 64 for DSD), then there’s no reason not to use it - especially if using the built-in headphone output.

You might hear a difference in a super-resolving chain (external amp, TOTL cans), but otherwise it’s doubtful you’d notice, and you’d have to be listening for specific differences even then.

A bit of a related teaser for a full review in the very near future (things are a bit backlogged now …) …

3 Likes

I’ll be happy to pick up some of your backlog :wink: I kid, new job time crunch. Looking forward to reading your review on these as a combo.

1 Like

Oops I think I’ve just wet myself. :grin:. Really looking forward to this too.

-Paul-

Nice one, these are realy nice looking units. With the positive review of the Cyan I’m looking forward to learn if the new amp is a worthwhile upgrade.

1 Like

Me too. It’s always a pleasure to read his reviews.

-Paul-

Oh my good golly gorsh.

Thanks for the review. How does the Cyan compare overall say with the new Metrum NOS DACs (Flint DAC only or Amethyst as DAC or all-in-one)?

I haven’t heard the Flint, so can’t comment on that.

And I have not done a direct comparison between the Cyan and the Amethyst, though I’ve done an extensive review of the Cyan and I’ve spent a little time with the Amethyst - which was a nice enough sounding unit but not something that I was tempted by. Where as with the Cyan if I had been looking for an all-in-one (or a NOS DAC) in that price range I’d not have hesitated to buy one.

I like the Metrum DACs … but until you get to the Pavane I do not find them compelling from a value perspective.

1 Like