How to compare amps more fairly - my experience

I have read this thread quite entertainingly about 10 times. It just keeps getting better. Thank you sir.

1 Like

It was for me, which is to what I was referring.

Not withstanding that that is quite the assumption coming from a new user here ā€¦ you donā€™t get to judge what I deem a waste of time or not.

Temper? Funny. Donā€™t see any lack of calm in the posts here, either.

5 Likes

If I see any more flagging on this thread, itā€™s getting moved where these kinds of discussions invariably wind up ā€¦

6 Likes

Funny, look closer. Real close. Like this quote from him:

No problem, I am also reading your stuff quite ā€œentertaininglyā€, sir.

Okay my question is more aimed at the conclusion here. You say we need to test fairly by volume matching, but this reads more like ā€œdonā€™t bother with other amps, these two I tried in my method sounded the same when matched to my criteriaā€. Have you found or do you plan on finding an amp you put through your system and hear a difference, or are you done cause all both sounded the same in your test?

2 Likes

I donā€™t see how that is temper or lack of calm. Snarky, sure ā€¦ but one reaps what one sows. And the passive-aggressive stuff doesnā€™t really fly with me.

4 Likes

In regards to the thread overall, numerous flags, and various postings ā€¦ we have a dedicated thread for when this sort of discussion goes down this path, and Iā€™ll quote you from the intro to that:

ā€œThe final part of the title of this thread seems to be how the Objective vs. Subjective discussions usually wind up making those involved feel. Some back and forth in normal threads on this is fine, but once it takes over the original intent of the thread, expect those posts to wind up here instead.ā€

Iā€™ll be quite happy to move the entire thing there, instead.

6 Likes

What? Nooooooooo. Big NO. Never said that. I just said: give it a try with bias and volume matching. All the other stuff came up, because we were so focused on my test method and strayed away from the origin

Iā€™m going to ask a very simple questionā€¦ of all the participants hereā€¦ as this is starting to trend into angry rebuttals, defensive jibes, sarcasm and wit.

Is this the mole hill you wish to plant your flag and die on? (Figuratively of course)

There are a lot of people that are exponentially more experienced, smarter and better equipped to handle these discussions than I! I do my best to recognize my own lack of knowledge, experience, etc and learn from them.

I know for a fact that there are scientists, engineers, developersā€¦ and many more very educated and experienced folks responding in this threadā€¦ it is unwise to dismiss them.

Biases work in mysterious ways sometimes, and one can be biased towards ones own biases lol or a belief in ones own experiences as gospel, which can be misleading as people have been proven wrong and right throughout historyā€¦ beliefs, unshakable are now considered foolish and ridiculous in todayā€™s world.

Now, please everyone, be respectful, Iā€™ll admit I find the sarcasm and wit funny and enjoy a good ribbing from friends and forum membersā€¦ but maybe itā€™s time to pull back and think ā€œam I being the antagonist or protagonist here?ā€

16 Likes

Iā€™m beginning to feel this may be the proper path forward for this threadā€¦

1 Like

Well stated. This is among your best wordsmanship. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

@nhatlam96 Looking through your post history on various forums, it looks like you go to various forums to post your Amp theory. I see you posted this one to Hifiguides which was met with similar reception https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=AD35B3A5E527A0CF!19797&ithint=file%2Cdocx&authkey=!AOvunwmtzR9Oxp8

You also have a thread dedicated to this on ASR https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-can-i-volume-match-easily.18525/#post-611395

Youā€™ve received excellent advice from members of this forum with extensive knowledge in electronics, audio and other scientific backgrounds.

Youā€™ve rebuked their advice and have already come to your own conclusions so Iā€™m unsure if there is any value add to continuing the discussion here rather than the the hundreds of other Amp A/B test discussions that exist.

9 Likes

Okay, my point still stands and itā€™s in the very first post I have made:

All your critiques so far just have been aimed to my volume matching. Thatā€™s fair, I really find that so. However, just because my volume matching wasnā€™t proper in YOUR eyes, doesnt mean that volume matching is the wrong choice. Volume matching is an important aspect on making comparisons fairer. Bias and volume level mismatch irrefutablely deludes perception. If you can do better volume matching than me: Thatā€™s even better, why dont you do it and share your love with the audiophile community? Share your findings then. My honest opinion is, if you donā€™t think that you are not deceptive to bias or volume level mismatch, then so be it, do what you will.

1 Like

Im posting in different forums to get different viewpoints. So, whats the problem?

Yes, ā€œsomeā€ of them were good.

That doesnt garantuee anything. Amir also has ā€œextensive knowledgeā€, but his advice also isnt well received. That shouldnt be any different here.

You make it sound like that was my intention from the start. Rebuked isnt correct here. Look through my answers again.

1 Like

I encourage discourse, exchange, sharing, enlightenment. This has encroached into exhausting point and counterpoint, which is inconsistent with what I find favorable and attractive about this forum/community. Muting topic.

10 Likes

Thank you @bpcarb, I hadnā€™t realized itā€™s possible to mute threads.

1 Like

I am beginning to think that you might just enjoy disruption and less so care about what other people think regarding your ā€œpostā€ ā€¦ or any potential help that might come from others.

Your mind is made upā€¦ your biases are in place. I for one think it a moot point to continue this topic as it is proving nothing, except that hitting oneā€™s own head against a wallā€¦ is just that, hitting oneā€™s own head against a wallā€¦

I can say wholeheartedly in my time in this hobby that I have heard a difference between ampsā€¦ Iā€™m no engineer, scientist, or what have youā€¦ but, your statements fly in the face of mine, and othersā€™ experiencesā€¦ and your dismissive nature is quite frankly offensive. I donā€™t want to be the old guy waving a stick at the youngins to ā€œget off my lawnā€ here but hot damn if I donā€™t want to right now.

I hope you keep exploring and testing your theories and ideasā€¦ educating yourself on the topic moreā€¦ and find what you are looking forā€¦ but for nowā€¦ I think this thread has run its course. Please, continue participating in the forum and letting us know your findingsā€¦ but, I think this specific thread has run its course =)

Merry Xmas to all, and to all a goodnight!

18 Likes

I didnā€™t either, but I do now.,

3 Likes